Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looks like you're going to get a second crack at that sealed case of 79 OPC Hockey

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting to say the least. If auctioned again…will it sell for considerably less?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

This is exactly what’s happening in our hobby today.

Very few are collecting. Most are just flipping. Look at all the unopened in the current REA. Look at all the stuff in all the auction houses.

People are day trading collectibles like they do stocks.

I buy and hold my collection because I love what I collect.

Others are just in it for “the action”.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

Very few are collecting.

Very few can afford this stuff.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@4Boston said:

Very few are collecting.

Not based on what I’m reading.
    As the Warren Buffett generation dies off a huge transfer of wealth to people in their 50’s and 60’s is taking place.

Also there are many investment bankers who are collecting. Guys in their 30’s to 40’s. I’ve had 5 of them this year interested in my cards.

Lots of wealthy people collect. It’s fun and exciting.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@coolstanley said:

@4Boston said:

Very few are collecting.

As the Warren Buffett generation dies off a huge transfer of wealth to people in their 50’s and 60’s is taking place.

Also there are many investment bankers who are collecting. Guys in their 30’s to 40’s. I’ve had 5 of them this year interested in my cards.

Ok so maybe 2% of the population? Almost 2/3 rds of the population Dont have $1000 in savings and live paycheck to paycheck. Credit card debt is at a all time high. Consumer report - Inflation went up another 3.5% in March. People are struggling to pay for groceries.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

I guess one guy is struggling to pay his $3.72M bill for an auction win.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's thinking of 'gifting it to his childhood crush'? I don't think this one ends well.

Daniel
  • Options

@coolstanley said:

@4Boston said:

@coolstanley said:

@4Boston said:

Very few are collecting.

Ok so maybe 2% of the population? Almost 2/3 rds of the population Dont have $1000 in savings and live paycheck to paycheck. Credit card debt is at a all time high. Consumer report - Inflation went up another 3.5% in March. People are struggling to pay for groceries.

Yes. And these people never have been nor ever will be in the high end market, but there is plenty of VG out there if they ever got some extra coin.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 5:33AM

@coinspacks said:
    I guess one guy is struggling to pay his $3.72M bill for an auction win.

Lol

• Options

@SmithAuctionCo said:
    "Arshawsky said the spark just isn't there for him when it comes to card collecting."

"He said he chugged four Red Bull energy drinks to keep him "focused and sharp" in order to continue bidding competitively."

What?

Sounds like a nightmare bidder for any auction company or eBay seller. Random impulsive person sees a news article on an item that they have little interest in, but decide to register to bid, bid competitively, win the auction, then say "Hey, you know what, this item is just not for me. Can I not pay for it in full? And you hold on to it? Thanks."

Don’t believe everything you read. Especially from those who love money.

We all know how many of the wealthiest eBay volume sellers used shill bidding to inflate their auctions.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

It sure sounds like buyers remorse but it doesn’t read like a money problem.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    He's thinking of 'gifting it to his childhood crush'? I don't think this one ends well.

So silly, like his “childhood crush” cares about hockey cards. He’d be better off gifting her Taylor Swift tickets.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

This guy is a weenie.

• Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Maybe he did some research after the fact and came across the Pokémon/ GI Joe video. That would definitely give him reason for concern.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

@gorilla glue 4 said:
    Maybe he did some research after the fact and came across the Pokémon/ GI Joe video. That would definitely give him reason for concern.

Unlike what you're referring to, there is video documentation of Steve opening the case to look at the boxes. If you believe conspiracy theory, you would have to believe Steve, off camera, filled 16 boxes with junk wax, held onto 700+ legit packs, and would somehow siphon those out to the public or private parties under the table and have trust that those parties will not rat you out. Major fraud in that scenario. Not an impossibility, but highly improbable, IMO. Perhaps if you had reservations about the case, upon purchase and before delivery, while it's still sitting at Heritage, with Steve present, you open the case, verify the contents, and then have Steve re-wrap and get it all on camera. Most of us have faith in the process and do not believe, after however many years he has been doing this, that he would jeopardize his livelihood and his biggest asset (his reputation) on something so short-sighted.

Definitely, I think the case goes for less if reauctioned. We don't know how much this guy ran up the bid and, it really appears, has buyers remorse.

• Options

Maybe he thought it would earn him the prestige he never had in this life, and he started telling people about it and they were kinda like "Yeah, wow" then shrugged and moved on and then he realized that this isn't so affordable when you don't already own a sports franchise.

"Hello, Wayne? Hey buddy, I got something for ya, gonna be a perfect fit you and your investment budget. Call me back."

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 3:12PM

Hahaha his “childhood crush”!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Maybe he thought it would earn him the prestige he never had in this life, and he started telling people about it and they were kinda like "Yeah, wow" then shrugged and moved on and then he realized that this isn't so affordable when you don't already own a sports franchise.

"Hello, Wayne? Hey buddy, I got something for ya, gonna be a perfect fit you and your investment budget. Call me back."

Have I got the deal for you Wayne $8 million dollars just for you my friend!!!

• Options

The sentiment here by some speaks volumes. Projection or not this is psych 101.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 4:15PM

So did he win this box to purposely leave the transaction in limbo until he can find the next buyer? Thats what this looks like to me. Their description of the guy pounding down four Red Bulls so he's ready to keep bidding competitively, sounds like he was all in on winning it and money likely wasn't an issue. Then he wins it and sends over 80% of the payment but not the rest?

This sounds like he was hoping for a quick flip for a nice profit to some big name in the hobby and finding that buyer has taken longer than expected. Till then he's trying to leave the case in Heritage's vault and worst case scenario he just gets his money back regardless of having everyone else involved waiting on him to just finalize his purchase.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I would have bid if I knew Heritage had a lay-a-way plan...just 25K more payments and it's mine.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

this puts heritage in a tough situation. it seems doubtful this guy will willingly complete the full payment.
    does heritage pursue this legally? do they refund and then reauction? the case would certainly sell for less.

they are in a bind for sure.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    this puts heritage in a tough situation. it seems doubtful this guy will willingly complete the full payment.
    does heritage pursue this legally? do they refund and then reauction? the case would certainly sell for less.

they are in a bind for sure.

What goes around comes around.

• Options

Heritage does have a structure for this already that is part of the MSA which you click through when signing up to bid.

The buyer hasn’t done anything wrong yet.

• Options

Says his uncle left him tons of money and that is not an issue. Just saw that in the news today. Had property in Toronto and when he passed left it to him.

''Arshawsky made it clear he's got the money to cover his bid -- he inherited a bundle from an uncle who'd bought farmland in the Greater Toronto Area decades ago and later sold it.''

• Options

On items like these should HA not ask for a financial background check to clear any potential bidders? I mean it is a lot of money for most people in the world.

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    On items like these should HA not ask for a financial background check to clear any potential bidders? I mean it is a lot of money for most people in the world.

Your questions are answered in their terms and conditions. If you register and start bidding immediately on items over $2500 they may contact you.

Most people establish their credit organically over time. Then they start bidding on the bigger items. They also may require deposits for large bids without auction history. These are all standard practices.