Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Vintage Mexican Gold NEWP ~

I did not know they existed! I did not know they were doing fractional gold as early as 1981, this came in today and I couldn’t pass on it! I absolutely love the frost and color on this thing!

Does anybody else have any of these? If you do, post it here! B)

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vintage?!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you call it?
    I think of the newer style as modern, but it’s definitely not old.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS considers anything post-1964 as modern. That’s as good a date as any.

Vintage might be pre-1924 (a hundred years old)?

Maybe this one is the classic or original design?

• Options

I guess it’s just me, stuff from the 80s and 90s I just call vintage whether it be coins or old silver bars or just whatever it is.

Now that you mention it, I do believe that’s correct for 1964 and after being modern. 👍

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland I do not have one, have just the 1994 Silver Proof Set that have the same design.

Some info:
    In 1981, the minting of pieces containing pure gold of 1, 1/2 and 1/4 of an ounce was determined, and the National Shield was established as the common obverse. On the reverse they present the same design of the Centennial, a Winged Victory, represented in the monument of the Angel of Independence, and in the background the Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl volcanoes.

In 1991, 1/10 and 1/20 ounce gold coins were added.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I am a bit more partial to the earlier design myself. I have a 1981 1 onza that I bought at the the time when I was a kid.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Something that they did not do good started with the 1921 2 Pesos Centennial of Independence is the face.

The new design:

• Options

@ELuis said:
    @asheland I do not have one, have just the 1994 Silver Proof Set that have the same design.

Some info:
    In 1981, the minting of pieces containing pure gold of 1, 1/2 and 1/4 of an ounce was determined, and the National Shield was established as the common obverse. On the reverse they present the same design of the Centennial, a Winged Victory, represented in the monument of the Angel of Independence, and in the background the Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl volcanoes.

In 1991, 1/10 and 1/20 ounce gold coins were added.

According to Krause, this piece is 90% gold, 10% copper in the above mentioned article you provided, it says pure. Did they mean that amount of gold? Or did they actually make some of these in 999 fine?

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 4:52PM

@asheland said:

According to Krause, this piece is 90% gold, 10% copper in the above mentioned article you provided, it says pure. Did they mean that amount of gold? Or did they actually make some of these in 999 fine?

From the Banco De mexico where I extracted that information i posted:

Edit to add: I did a quick look on a place they sell the 1981 and they have that 90%:

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 10:03AM

@ELuis said:
    Something that they did not do good started with the 1921 2 Pesos Centennial of Independence is the face.

The new design:

Yes, I guess I was not the only one that noticed this....What were they doing, or were they nervous about showing particular ethnicity? Also the second image looks like a shower cap!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

1981 is vintage now? Man am I OLD!

• Options