Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collection of moderns

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reviewing a group of modern sets for someone, looks like they paid too much on a lot of them.

I looked up this one on NGC's cert. verification: 2012 G.BRITAIN LONDON 2012 OLYMPICS S500PD NGCPR69; no valuation comes up. They paid around $6K for the 5 oz. silver coin in the slab, I'm seeing one online for $1500 but hard to do market analysis.

Also the widow had the 2011 proof Panda set that the husband paid around $10K for, all certified.
And the restrike of the 1861 Confederate set, gold, silver, and copper.

Also the 2012 Australia gold set, 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz., 1/10 oz and 1/20 oz. in MS70 NGC slabs.

These don't have much value over the metal, correct?

Comments

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a little research for ya:

2012 G.BRITAIN LONDON 2012 OLYMPICS S500PD NGCPR69 - $1500.00 sounds about right but it might take a while to sell.
    2011 proof Panda set that the husband paid around $10K for, all certified - No mention of cert details but smaller coins have higher premium. Still won't come close to 10K though :(
    restrike of the 1861 Confederate set, gold, silver, and copper - A NGC slabbed set is on eBay for $1295.00
    2012 Australian gold in NGC MS70 - Will be a premium over spot, especially for the smaller coins.

K

ANA LM
  • Options

Thanks, the problem is that on less common certified moderns it's hard to see what they actually sold for and dealers would be the main source of interest with a relatively small pool of them.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like someone bought some coins from a TV add.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Sounds like someone bought some coins from a TV add.

It was a rough story, someone did an appraisal some years ago, their shop moved. Caregivers stole a lot of the coins, what they have left is a fraction of what they had. I saw the receipts that were all multiples of what the coins are worth even with gold moving up.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1861 confederate gold & platinum coins are worth ~melt. The copper & silver ones are worth ~$50 each if sold separately.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file