Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

60 Minutes story on Yogi Berra memorabilia robbery.

Sunday night story on the break in some years ago in NJ. The thieves stole and melted down 9 of his 10 WS rings. All in all the heist netted them $12,000.00.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had not heard of that. terrible. what would possess those idiots to melt down the rings??? so stupid.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thief says he tried on, then melted down Yogi Berra World Series rings | 60 Minutes

https://youtu.be/k7-Sw_atPmg

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are you going to sell obviously stolen property. I'd bet the capacino machine in the break room cost more than the security system.

• Options

Shout-out to the New York Yankees for replacing the rings with duplicates.

Of course not the originals, but still it's rings from the Yankees, and high praise for them doing that. 👍

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Where are you going to sell obviously stolen property. I'd bet the capacino machine in the break room cost more than the security system.

There is an "underground" network for stolen works of famous art. Famous art gets stolen, and often it doesn't show-up for decades, until the person dies who bought it. My guess among the super-rich is just owning it privately is thrill enough for them, and they don't care about displaying it publicly, etc. This has gone on for a very long time.

It's probably where this criminal dope got the idea. Yes he got off on wearing the famous jersey. But I would guess his intent was to find a similar underground network for stolen sports memorabilia. Seems like he eventually gave up on that idea, and tried to branch out into stealing paintings.

Four years in state prison isn't good enough. He does have a federal hearing coming up, and I hope that prison sentence is much harsher.