Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 OPC Brett rookie

I was doing a box dive the other day and was checking out my OPC Brett Rookie. Mine is in PSA 9. I couldn't find any sales data for one in that grade. I am certainly not looking to get rid of my copy, but was curious what you guys would estimate the value at?

They are a lot more scarce than the Topps version. do you think a sale would bring more than the Topps?

just curious.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the last Topps 9 sells were for about $5,250 on avg. I think you can assume about 1.5 times that amount or about $7,500. But obviously this is just a guess.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 thanks for the comment. I was wondering if there should be a multiplier applied. but I know there are lots of people who believe demand outweighs supply for OPC. I haven't checked the POP lately, but it must be pretty scarce in a 9, what maybe 20? 25? I know they don't come up for sale very often.

at any rate, this one will be with me for the long haul. I personally prefer the OPC version to the topps because of the striking colors on the OPC. the card stock just makes it pop.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were to sell I would send to an auction house. It only takes 2 people to blow it up and they have the people with the most $. Beautiful card and one to be proud of. OPC stuff is weird sometimes it goes for way more than Topps and sometimes it goes for less, I would guess that due to how rarely one of these comes up it would go for double Topps.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card, Craig!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Here is an image just for fun!

SWEET TUFF CARD!!!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

OPC Brett;

Topps;

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@brad31 said:
    If you were to sell I would send to an auction house. It only takes 2 people to blow it up and they have the people with the most $. Beautiful card and one to be proud of. OPC stuff is weird sometimes it goes for way more than Topps and sometimes it goes for less, I would guess that due to how rarely one of these comes up it would go for double Topps.

that is good advice. I would think that advertising for a card like this would go a long way and a dedicated auction house would be a better option than ebay.

I have actually been thinking about writing up some "directions" for either my wife or kids for when I kick the bucket as to how to go about selling everything they don't want off. I have always been an accumulator as opposed to a seller. I never anticipate getting rid of my stuff, but life does happen and you never know. I hope those I someday leave behind will have a nice little payday!!

• Options

@JoeBanzai thanks for doing the legwork for me!! I new there was a pop disparity between topps and opc for the brett, but I guess I didn't realize quite how big it was. pretty massive.

276-14,597

I wonder if the actual production was that lopsided or if so few OPC are worth grading that it just appears production was that different?

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Production was lopsided

• Options

I had always heard OPC production was at about 10% of Topps. the POP on the Brett would indicate around 2% of topps. one would think that the rookie card of a HOFer would be represented at a higher rate than that of production.

perhaps the 10% blanket number I had heard was not close to correct. the 2% number seems way too small to me though. I cant imagine Topps would have had OPC produce such a small amount.

• Options

The entire population of Canada equaled NY at that time.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I had always heard OPC production was at about 10% of Topps. the POP on the Brett would indicate around 2% of topps. one would think that the rookie card of a HOFer would be represented at a higher rate than that of production.

perhaps the 10% blanket number I had heard was not close to correct. the 2% number seems way too small to me though. I cant imagine Topps would have had OPC produce such a small amount.

@craig44 First off, great looking Brett rookie. I have seen your Brett rookie before on another OPC thread on these forums and I never get tired of looking at it.

Personally I believe the OPC production was anywhere from 2 to 5% of Topps. OPC ramped up production in the 80s but anything pre-77 is just so tough to find, and when you do find it, they are severely OC, gum stained, full of production creases, etc. A true PSA 9 like yours is a rarity.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

@4Boston said:
    The entire population of Canada equaled NY at that time.

very good point. I never thought of that before.

• Options

@waxman2745 thank you for the kind words. I will defer to you guys who know more about OPC for production number estimates. I 100% agree about the condition issues on earlier OPC sets. the centering was just terrible. I have also seen some so rough cut that it gives the appearance of rounded corners.

I think a well centered 60s-70s OPC card is a thing of beauty. I have always preferred the card stock they used to Topps

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 1975 Pete rose OPC PSA 7 has sold for $200 and $250 lately (if we are to believe EBAY). A regular Topps PSA 7 is around $60 - $75 range. I know as it gets higher the multiples will diminish. The Ryan OPC 9 i think sold for around $8,000 a while back. I would think that this one would be it's equal. Hard to top Nolan in high grades.

The card is great though. You know I am an OPC guy. The gradings lately by both SGC and PSA are very strict. PSA 9 opc's 1982 and back are very difficult to achieve. The star cards already have such a low POP, too.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

Love that Brett rookie @craig44! Speaking of high end OPC rookies, there is a PSA 7 68 Ryan rookie currently being auctioned on eBay by 4 sharp corners consignment sitting at $4600 with a week to go till the end. Curious to see the hammer for this card……

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing card and one that would hammer for far higher than the Topps counterpart in this case as there are many Brett collectors and not many of these to go around (illustrated by the lack of sales data).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    Love that Brett rookie @craig44! Speaking of high end OPC rookies, there is a PSA 7 68 Ryan rookie currently being auctioned on eBay by 4 sharp corners consignment sitting at $4600 with a week to go till the end. Curious to see the hammer for this card……

Thank you, and also thanks for sharing about the Ryan up for auction. I hadnt seen that and will be interested in seeing what it sells for. I have one of those up my sleeve as well... i love vintage opc!

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Amazing card and one that would hammer for far higher than the Topps counterpart in this case as there are many Brett collectors and not many of these to go around (illustrated by the lack of sales data).

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I certainly would be interested to see what one would sell for at auction.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@grote15 said:

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I certainly would be interested to see what one would sell for at auction.

Card has too much growth potential to sell now.

• Options

@4Boston I would agree. unless life happened and I needed an influx of cash, I am normally not a seller anyways. just interested in what such things would go for.

The PSA 7 Ryan may be somewhat of an indicator for OPC prices. at least on the more high-end side. I just checked out the POP and in comparison to the Topps version, there are only about 1% of as many OPC Ryan rookies that have been graded by PSA. That is comparable to the 2% of Brett OPC/Topps rookies.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

And yet a 1975 SSPC Brett PSA10 sold for $120 just a month ago, and PSA9s can go for under $50.
    POP is around 1400 total: PSA10-326, PSA9-787.
    So, easy for high grade, but still.

And I keep on eye out on 1973 Schmidt RC/Cey cards and PSA7s and below (my price range), OPCs can be on par with Topps, and occasionally less, even with the POP disparity. When you get into the PSA8s and up, that's when OPCs usually go for X times what a Topps would sell for.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2024 12:25PM

Craig…

Your OPC Brett RC is definitely a 5-figure card…my guess is $20k-$25k. My 2-cents…

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Craig…

Your OPC Brett RC is definitely a 5-figure card…my guess is $20k-$25k. My 2-cents…

WOW!!! i never thought about a figure that high. the kids will have a nice vacation (or 2) when I kick it!!!

if it truly is a 5 figure card, I did very very well. my buy in was much much less than that. I remember buying raw OPC's back in the 90s.

• Options

If you have owned it since the 90s...you have a significant capital gain!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2024 3:38PM

Beauty ...I say easily 10k+...

Can everyone please stop discussing OPC's - and raising demand - and go back to talking Topps and other Modern refractor glitter 1 of 1 stuff. :)

• Options

@balco758 said:
    Beauty ...I say easily 10k+...

Can everyone please stop discussing OPC's - and raising demand - and go back to talking Topps and other Modern refractor glitter 1 of 1 stuff. :)

Agree. Want to add to my collection and hoping they don’t spike.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

If you sell a lot of collectibles you might want to consult a good tax person to advise you on the tax liability. They are considered an alternative investment so you are taxed on the net minus the carrying costs At a higher rate than capital gains on other investments.

Perhaps you purchased a storage case or a safe or paid to have them stored in a safety deposit box. Those costs can be deducted from your net gain.

The main reason as was explained to me why this alternative investment class was created was to reduce loss carry forward on sales of things like art which was a vehicle for tax evasion before the tax reforms decades ago.

I would estimate the Brett would sell at auction for around 8K. But I don’t know. It’s worth more to me than that…. Just a guess. If you sell it I hope you get a lot more.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great card Craig! 👍🥳😀
    Thanks for posting it.
    I would like to get one probably in PSA 7 in a couple years. Focused on other cards at the moment but I’m slowly building a Brett opc set.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Great card Craig! 👍🥳😀
    Thanks for posting it.
    I would like to get one probably in PSA 7 in a couple years. Focused on other cards at the moment but I’m slowly building a Brett opc set.

Thanks Darin. I am glad you chimed in!! I try to keep my George Brett fandom on the down low over on the sports forum side, you know, after the whole big thread from a few years ago... But, even though I am up here in Red Sox land, I have been a big Brett fan for way over 30 years. In fact, I bought my first brett rookie over 30 years ago in the early 90's. I remember watching him play at Fenway and just respected the heck out of his passion and love of the game and have been a fan ever since. I get that Mike Schmidt was great, but give me George as my third baseman every single time!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to say that’s an awesome card!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the OPC's.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, that is such a great card. Congratulations on that one. It’s truly special.

I’m a big Brett fan and love his rookie card too. What thread are you talking about? Not much will make me stop getting his rookie.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    Man, that is such a great card. Congratulations on that one. It’s truly special.

I’m a big Brett fan and love his rookie card too. What thread are you talking about? Not much will make me stop getting his rookie.

Thank you for the kind words!! a few years ago (3 or 4?) there was a thread over on the sports talk forum comparing George Brett and Mike Schmidt as players. It got pretty passionate and heated. At this point, it has almost become a running joke over there.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Both are truly spectacular cards. In many cases OPC are less money than regular Topps. However both those great HOFers are in high demand and would go for much more. I agree the brett is a $10K plus card for sure.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    And yet a 1975 SSPC Brett PSA10 sold for $120 just a month ago, and PSA9s can go for under $50.
    POP is around 1400 total: PSA10-326, PSA9-787.
    So, easy for high grade, but still.

And I keep on eye out on 1973 Schmidt RC/Cey cards and PSA7s and below (my price range), OPCs can be on par with Topps, and occasionally less, even with the POP disparity. When you get into the PSA8s and up, that's when OPCs usually go for X times what a Topps would sell for.

These cards were printed without authority again in the early 80s. You can't tell the difference really. That's one of the reasons this set has flatlined in value. See Net54 forum for the story.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

O-Pee-Chee 75's, they do pop a lot more but they just aren't as popular as mainstream Topps. I can't think of any set that is except 1987 Topps. Interestingly enough, it's because there are 5 million Topps versus a very low amount of OPC when that's pretty much every year.

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

"Looks like a 1975 Pete rose OPC PSA 7 has sold for $200 and $250"

That was mine...sold for $225 last week. and yes, the Topps version sells under $100.

• Options

Wow that is a gorgeous 7.

• Options

boy that is a nice looking Rose! the colors really pop on the 75 OPC's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Wow that is a gorgeous 7.

Agree. 5 years ago thats an 8 all day.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

Auction just finished at almost 9k US. About 3X what a regular Topps would sell for in the same grade, was kind of hoping it t would break 5 figures, maybe the early PSA holder scared off some bidders from pushing it higher thinking it might have been overgraded.