Home Autographs Forum

Bettie Page Autograph Legit?

Can anyone help verify if these are legit?

Tagged:

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2024 1:51PM

I doubt they are real. Bettie Page was very active as a model in the early to mid-1950s and then stopped completely. I doubt she would have signed anything after the mid-1950s. The pen used to sign those is from a later date.

The Bettie Page negatives came on to the market at some point and could have been used to make new prints. I actually saw some of the original negatives being used back around 2000 by a student at the local community college. (The college had a very large photography program.)

Correct me if I am wrong. I always prefer information that is accurate.

All glory is fleeting.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many legit Bettie Page signed photos out there, as Todd Mueller did more than one private signing with her. He's probably the best one to ask, as I believe he's the only person to have worked with her regarding autographs.

Steve

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she was doing later "private" signings then I am obviously wrong. Thanks for the correction.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know about the autograph, but she was legit. In later life she became a Christian.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Most are Absolutely LEGIT.
    I met her and got her to sign.
    Did I have a ‘witness’ there? No
    But it IS real. I was there.

My Grandfather worked for Billy Graham Ministries.

Page had a terrible signature and got worse as she aged. By the time she was elderly , she was fairly unrecognizable and living in a mental institution off and on. The best way to tell if it’s real is 3 ways:

1. Simply trust that it IS real as she DID sign for many people in years past (without an official eyewitness there holding a legal affidavit)

2. Compare it to other signatures with an expert.

3. Test the age of the ink/sharpie. Faded? (Fade rate of ink/sharpie)
      Did the type of signature ink exist in her lifetime? If the signature is sloppy perhaps she signed it when she was old, but would she have had access or writing ability in her fragile condition ?