Home Sports Talk
Options

How good will the Bills be next season without Stefon Diggs?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

This trade concerns me, what are the Bills going to look like without their star receiver? A user on Twitter said that Stefon Diggs isn't essential to Josh Allen's success and Stefon Diggs replied to the tweet with, "you sure?" Diggs seems to be implying that the Josh Allen and the Bills are going to struggle next season without him.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said in a previous post the Bills will be just fine. Josh Allen is all grown up. Diggs was a beast in Buffalo and on the field he was fun to watch. But his separation waned and the crying intensified.
    Bills
    Week 1-10 Digg 100 yards per game 8 TDs
    5-5
    11-18 Diggs 47 yards 1 Td
    6-1

Next man up

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will be in a knock down drag out street fight with Miami for second place in the division

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭

Bills will be just fine and if not it wont be because of Diggs. Theyll replace him in the draft and Diggs was no where to be found half the season anyways

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big time head case.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diggs was essentially overshadowed during the second half with Buffalo transitioning to a more balanced offensive attack so I think they will be fine without him, frankly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

As long as they have #17 they’ll be just fine

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Diggs was essentially overshadowed during the second half with Buffalo transitioning to a more balanced offensive attack so I think they will be fine without him, frankly.

I am SO GLAD the Vikings got rid of this clown while he still had value.
    He's similar to another overrated receiver who was a cancer everywhere he went, the greatest quitter in NFL history RANDY MOSS.
    Great talent, but both losers.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

its kind of odd from the Texans point of view where they trade a 2nd for Diggs + 5th&6th round picks but then rework his contract so that its basically a 1yr deal.
    Rather than have Diggs signed for 3-4 more seasons where they weren't tied down with any guaranteed money outside of his base salary, now instead they rip that deal up so he could become a free agent next offseason.

Say he has a great season in 2024 and Houston re-signs him in 2025, they're now giving him a new deal which means a signing bonus and X amount in guarantees when he'll be turning 32 two months into that season.

Part of the reasoning for doing it this way was because if he leaves in 2025 then the Texans would likely receive a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him. What good is that pick when its a couple offseasons out before they'd get it?
    Cj Stroud has three more years on a rookie deal,if the Texans are going all in then spend the cap now before you need to pay him.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stefon Diggs is an asset at the line of scrimmage but a liability in the huddle and lockerroom. I would imagine fans are torn between when they were more excited, when Diggs signed or when he got traded?? The bigger question for the organization should be when do they move on from Sean McDermott??

• Options

Bills are a better team without him.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

great player, but apparently a head case. probably better to get him gone. malcontents are never good to have around.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Next season without a true WR1 will show if Josh Allen is an elite QB or not. The way coverage rolls up to take out a WR1 changes the entire dynamic of the passing game for a QB. Allen's career took off as soon as they got Diggs.

I think Allen will be fine but my money is on him trying to do too much and getting injured in the 2024-25 season.

As for Diggs, I think the Bills got rid of him at the right time. While he may have a good/great season in Houston next year, he was definitely on the decline the 2nd half of the this past season. Always better to get rid of a WR or RB one season too early than one season too late, IMO.

Robb

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought i read that Courtland Sutton was traded to the Bills. Was that a wishful thinking fantasy story?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@fergie23 said:
    Next season without a true WR1 will show if Josh Allen is an elite QB or not. The way coverage rolls up to take out a WR1 changes the entire dynamic of the passing game for a QB. Allen's career took off as soon as they got Diggs.

I think Allen will be fine but my money is on him trying to do too much and getting injured in the 2024-25 season.

As for Diggs, I think the Bills got rid of him at the right time. While he may have a good/great season in Houston next year, he was definitely on the decline the 2nd half of the this past season. Always better to get rid of a WR or RB one season too early than one season too late, IMO.

Robb

You are forgetting Allen shined long before Diggs got there. His coming out was with Brown and Beasley. Before that he had receivers with hands of stone and feet in concrete. Beasley was a gift and I wish he was in his prime now.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Not sure Allen shined in 2018 or 2019. IMO, his big leap occurred in 2020 when Diggs was added to the Bills.

2019 - 3,089 passing yards, 58.8% completions, 20 TDs, 9 ints, 49.4 QBR in 16 games

2020 - 4,544 passing yards, 69.2% completions, 37 TDs, 10 ints, 76.6 QBR in 16 games

Not sure anyone could objectively say Allen was better than average in 2018 & 2019.

Robb

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Not sure Allen shined in 2018 or 2019. IMO, his big leap occurred in 2020 when Diggs was added to the Bills.

2019 - 3,089 passing yards, 58.8% completions, 20 TDs, 9 ints, 49.4 QBR in 16 games

Same season:
    2019 - 2,942 passing yards, 60.9% completions, 18 tds, 6 ints, 52.1 QBR in 15 games...

...jacoby Brissett

• Options

Nobody won with Randy Moss, probably the same with Diggs.

Talented players, but horrible for team chemistry.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Nobody won with Randy Moss, probably the same with Diggs.

Talented players, but horrible for team chemistry.

Same with TO

• Options

"Nobody won with Randy Moss"

Define "won". If the only criteria for winning is winning a Super Bowl, then there are lots of players with great character that nobody won with. Moss's teams made it to 3 conference championship games and one super bowl.

No argument about the team chemistry issues with Moss but in all honesty, team chemistry is completely overrated. When you win the chemistry is great and when you don't win chemistry is bad and the media and fans look for someone to blame.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    "Nobody won with Randy Moss"

Define "won". If the only criteria for winning is winning a Super Bowl, then there are lots of players with great character that nobody won with. Moss's teams made it to 3 conference championship games and one super bowl.

No argument about the team chemistry issues with Moss but in all honesty, team chemistry is completely overrated. When you win the chemistry is great and when you don't win chemistry is bad and the media and fans look for someone to blame.

Robb

Moss was great for his first few years, but he became a quitter. He refused to go over the middle and if he got hit hard early in the game, he disappeared, he even walked off the field before the end of a Vikings loss because he was "tired".
    At least he was honest about it, saying "I play when I want to play" when asked about his performances.
    If you look closely at his playoff games, he did very little to make a difference. I think he had one great game, but it was after the Vikings were way behind, and ended up losing.
    The guy probably had the combination of more talent, speed and height than any receiver ever, but didn't have any toughness.
    Most over-rated football player ever.

• Options

You dont have elite speeders running short over the middle routes that get them crushed. You can get a 4th rounder to take those hits or a TE. The elite guys like Moss you want spreading the defense either taking the top off them themselves, or making them spread enough to open things up for other guys. A lot of those guys like Moss, DeSean Jackson they have a bigger impact than just their stats to make sure they dont just run right past you

• Options

Ok. Let’s rephrase this. Allen started to become a star in 2020. 10-6 with Beasley and Brown.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Beane quote this week.
    We don’t have a true #1 receiver. We’re going to spread the ball around without all the drama.
    Ok not an exact quote but yes he finally said what we all knew. It was worth $31M to dump the baggage and distractions

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Basebal21 said:
    You dont have elite speeders running short over the middle routes that get them crushed. You can get a 4th rounder to take those hits or a TE. The elite guys like Moss you want spreading the defense either taking the top off them themselves, or making them spread enough to open things up for other guys. A lot of those guys like Moss, DeSean Jackson they have a bigger impact than just their stats to make sure they dont just run right past you

The guy was a QUITTER!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

The guy was a QUITTER!

Diva for sure but the best WRs usually are. 80 percent of his effort was better than the vast majority of the league

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

The guy was a QUITTER!

Diva for sure but the best WRs usually are. 80 percent of his effort was better than the vast majority of the league

Winners NEVER quit and quitters NEVER win.

Ef Randy Moss.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

just my gut instincts speaking as i take a macro look, but i think Diggs in Houston is going to be a marriage made in heaven. they already had a solid receiving corps to begin with in Nico Collins, Noah Brown, Robert Woods & Tank Dell. now they add him -- the perfect complimentary piece. and there won't be any added pressure weighing him down like there was in Buffalo, where there was very little surrounding him. and lest anyone forgets, they added Joe Mixon too.

the Texans are going to be an absolute handful next season

the excitement is already ratcheting up here in H-town

• Options

Good luck with that.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    just my gut instincts speaking as i take a macro look, but i think Diggs in Houston is going to be a marriage made in heaven. they already had a solid receiving corps to begin with in Nico Collins, Noah Brown, Robert Woods & Tank Dell. now they add him -- the perfect complimentary piece. and there won't be any added pressure weighing him down like there was in Buffalo, where there was very little surrounding him. and lest anyone forgets, they added Joe Mixon too.

the Texans are going to be an absolute handful next season

the excitement is already ratcheting up here in H-town

There’s only one drawback to this. Stroud was fantastic last year. But this is the NFL. Film and adjustments + sophomore season. We’ll see

W.C.Fields