Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

WW2 era medallions value (silver)

HankWHankW Posts: 5
edited April 6, 2024 7:55AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Looking for how to confirm these medallions are real and what they might be worth. Im almost positive they’re silver, between that and finding limited info online Im thinking they may have decent value. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭

They are not coins, they are some sort of medallions. I could not find any information on them.
    Also you have wrong reverse photos with the obverse.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2024 5:52AM

Thank you, Im new to this. Im almost positive they’re silver, not magnetic in any noticeable way. I stack silver, so I’m pretty familiar. I have found images online, but extremely limited info on an actual value. I acquired them through a trade for a 2019 Utah Goldback.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are both medals designed by famous German medallist Karl Goetz. I can't tell if they are originals, or more recent replicas.
    Rommel/Nord-Afrika: https://karlgoetz.com/ImageDetail.aspx?idImage=271
    Hermann Goring: https://karlgoetz.com/ImageDetail.aspx?idImage=269

Goetz does have somewhat of a following amongst militaria collectors; his medals from both WWI and WWII are quite propagandistic. I'd imagine they are also often copied by neo-Nazi groups.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2024 10:49AM

Comparing the photos provided by Sapyx with your photos, then they are replicas.
    Also the Goring medal is supposed to be in bronze.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

They appear to be modern counterfeit medals that can be found on various online sites for a few dollars each and that are widely available on ebay either with or without their counterfeit disclosure.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited April 6, 2024 11:11AM

Thank you all… what’s throwing me off is I also purchased regular silver coins and bars from the guy and these aren’t magnetic, but if they’re fake then they’re fake.

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the world of Chinese spin-offs. They have flooded the markets with this crap. Trust me, it ain't silver.
    I actually had to contact a German auction house several months ago where they had two examples listed in their next auction. They pulled them but they shouldn't have been listed in the first place as none are even close to an original design.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 7:29AM

@cacheman said:
    Welcome to the world of Chinese spin-offs. They have flooded the markets with this crap. Trust me, it ain't silver.
    I actually had to contact a German auction house several months ago where they had two examples listed in their next auction. They pulled them but they shouldn't have been listed in the first place as none are even close to an original design.

Next weekend I’m going to a gun show and there will be a lot of these type things to look at. Is there a better on-the-spot way to test if something is silver, other than a magnet? I enjoy sorting through the thousand of relics at the shows, but obviously I need to up my knowledge so I don’t get burned.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HankW said:

@cacheman said:

Next weekend I’m going to a gun show and there will be a lot of these type things to look at. Is there a better on-the-spot way to test if something is silver, other than a magnet? I enjoy sorting through the thousand of relics at the shows, but obviously I need to up my knowledge so I don’t get burned.

These modern counterfeits are so common and so cheap that I would assume something like a gun show would be flooded with them, or at least a large percentage of what is offered will be bogus. The best way to keep from being fooled is to know what they are supposed to look like when they are genuine.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HankW If you know a jeweler or a pawnbroker who has a Sigma or xrf machine, testing would provide content results. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall