Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ignore the Trolls.

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guilty as well. We need to quit responding to people that have a first post asking some ridiculous question about pocket change. A person serious about collecting will most likely introduce themselves and give some info on what they like to collect etc. They will go away when they don't have a single response to their troll question.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or have a canned post about where to go and do the research, etc...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

That unnecessarily bumps their post to the top.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s face it, when you ask a question here no matter how inane, you will get many more responses.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@MilesWaits

+1
    …..which often turns into a lengthy ugly argument.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nap time.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to see obvious trolling posts quickly drop to page 2, great idea.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if we actually did agree, as a group, to ignore such posts, then we would have a new term for those who did. Troll Enablers.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR
    My post was in jest. I also feel the need to help and progress young collectors. You are correct in regards to new members actually seeking knowledge, but I think there are oft times when the wording of questions may reveal the true intent of the poster and the more we feed this, the more they are enabled. That is for all to decide and no one to be the police, too many of these now.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

i try to give any thread a reply because someone may find the thread and actually have that question. tho there are obvious impossibilities which can be ignored.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Let’s face it, when you ask a question here no matter how inane, you will get many more responses.

You rang?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:

@MilesWaits said:

You rang?

that was a statement. are you doing both now?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    @OAKSTAR
    My post was in jest. I also feel the need to help and progress young collectors. You are correct in regards to new members actually seeking knowledge, but I think there are oft times when the wording of questions may reveal the true intent of the poster and the more we feed this, the more they are enabled. That is for all to decide and no one to be the police, too many of these now.
    Jim

I wasn't focused or referencing your post. I was just making a general statement.

You're right, I think we can all tell when someone is honestly trying (upside down pictures), a novice collector making up new numismatic terms and words trying to explain what they have. Or the new member not taking the advise from the overwhelming majority of feedback's.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve learned a lot!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Well, if we actually did agree, as a group, to ignore such posts, then we would have a new term for those who did. Troll Enablers.
    Jim

We'd also have to find what it means to be an actual troll vs just an ignorant newbie.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I don't feel I have the expertise to comment on coin questions in series I don't collect, ( even though I've been collecting for 60 years ) I tend to follow new OP'ers thread. Until the experts respond and the OP disagrees. Then I just follow for the entertainment. Although, ( and I'm sure some of you will agree ) some of the comments are way to harsh and critical on most new members questions. After all, we were all new once.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2024 6:43AM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I might be completely missing the point here but here's my take.

I probably don't follow new member as closely as many of you do. I find it difficult to tell the difference between a troll and a naive person trying to learn. I guess I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, until it's obvious the person is intentionally antagonizes us by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive comments.

I agree and am guilty (perhaps) of sometimes encouraging the trolls. I usually presume that they are new, saw a damaged coin that DOES look different and WANTS to believe that it's an error. I can't blame them for allowing their optimism to overpower their common sense. Most of us have wanted to believe that there just might be a "D" on that 1916 dime instead of that blob "S"

Canned responses will save time and effort but a simple "look it up" isn't a sufficient answer for many. When I was a kid and some adult told me to look it up, I rarely did. Many of these collectors are "kids" when it comes to their knowledge of coins and need a basic explanation to answer their curiosity to their satisfaction.

Let me suggest something like this as a canned response for PMD and you can improve and modify it as one pleases:

"First, we need to see some good, clear images of your coin.

The photos that you have posted show PMD (Post Mint Damage) and is not an error produced by the mint. This coin left the mint as a normal coin and experienced a trauma resulting in it's present appearance. (Optional) It's looks like this may have.....(describe likely source of damage). Understanding the coin manufacturing process and what errors are sometimes produced by the mint, will go a long way in helping one learn what is an error coin and what isn't. Additional resources on this subject may be found here: xxxxxx"

Another canned response for machine doubling vs double die coins would be useful, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the top of the US Coin Forum is a statement: “ Talk about all types of U.S. coins with other collectors, dealers, and experts.”

Questions from new folks (even trolls) about their pocket change is just as welcome as posts from long standing hobbyists about 5 figure coins, unless they are breaking a forum rule.

This thread is off-topic and has no relation to US coins, even if it is somewhat meta.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was once accused of being a troll here by one who was doing an outstanding job of being a troll himself. One man's troll is another man's mentor. Troll, mentor, no matter. We're all just fly specks in the grand scheme of things.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 10:46PM

Trolls (griefers) usually disgruntled, perhaps jealous individuals or they can’t stand disagreement. Maybe they got ripped somewhere. Then there is the know it all warrior. Their entertainment value?

Kat, my assistant calls them PL’s (Pathetic Losers).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

If we are patient, trolls eventually out themselves

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you damage a coin in error, does it become an error coin?

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind the trolls at all. Without them, I wouldn't have been aware of all the doubled dies that I never knew existed.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

My stock answer to many ignorant posts would be: “if you can find your way here you’re capable of answering this yourself, do some research”. I don’t have a lot of patience with lazy people, or trolls.

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    My stock answer to many ignorant posts would be: “if you can find your way here you’re capable of answering this yourself, do some research”. I don’t have a lot of patience with lazy people, or trolls.

This: At the top of the US Coin Forum is a statement: “ Talk about all types of U.S. coins with other collectors, dealers, and experts.”

I was once more ignorant than I am now. I didn't know there were any books about coins other than the Red Book.
    I think I can tell the difference between a Troll and someone searching for info - even the ones who keeptrying to explain their 1888 cull coin in spite of expert opinions.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did say “many”, not “all” or “most”. There is a plethora of information just on the PGGS site, available with a little digging.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭

@Fraz , @Manifest_Destiny , ........

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 12:57PM

@relicsncoins said:
    I'm guilty as well. We need to quit responding to people that have a first post asking some ridiculous question about pocket change. A person serious about collecting will most likely introduce themselves and give some info on what they like to collect etc. They will go away when they don't have a single response to their troll question.

I disagree. Sure, there may be trolls BUT there are also people out there looking for a quick buck with no interest in 'Deep Dive Collecting'.

It's a forum. Be nice. If you don't want to respond then don't. It's your option.
    But advising people to ignore possible newbies?

That is a little snobbish IMO.

And for the record, a 'Troll' is someone just looking to stir up trouble and the posts by 'trolls' are just argumentative for arguments sake.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@yspsales said:

That unnecessarily bumps their post to the top.

Sorry. Is this a contest? Or a Forum?

People deserve answers if you fell like answering. If not, then just move along.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

I think newbies asking about messed up coins is kind of fun. We have talked about it before, but there has to be a cultural force telling people that their pennies are worth $1,000,000 if they get lucky. I would try to not get annoyed by obviously ignorant people, the whole sequence repeating itself is kind of amusing.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file