Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a 1992 D or W, close AM, check it out.

emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin also has some tone on it.
Full Photo's will come asap.
It's a Wild, Wild find and it's under a big W. (outside joke)
The A and the M are not touching although the designers mark shows no serifs.
Found in a coin roll from the bank.

Comments

  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭


  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

    Nope!

  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

    WAM. The designers initials are close to the memorial.
    Also suffering from zinc rot. Spend it while you can.

  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 5:16AM

    That coin festers, Emi.

  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The facts stated here lead me to think, maybe I'm using the wrong guideline in my judgement.
    The guideline I'm using for a close AM is "the serifs in the font of the G", only, as seen below.
    @The Lincoln Resource

    Notice the difference in the fonts used for the letter G. Should I not use this as a guideline ?
    The font of the G on this coin matches the close AM reference photo.
    Let me know if this is not a reference point.

  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

    If you don’t want to use the FG as a guideline, then use the A in STATES.
    If it is centered between the two T’s , it is a WAM. If it’ is closer to the right T, then it is a CAM.
    Do not go by the distance between the AM, too many variables, use one of the other two markers.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Greenstang said:
    If you don’t want to use the FG as a guideline, then use the A in STATES.
    If it is centered between the two T’s , it is a WAM. If it’ is closer to the right T, then it is a CAM.
    Do not go by the distance between the AM, too many variables, use one of the other two markers.

    He DID use the FG as a guideline and wants to use the FG as a guideline.

  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @Greenstang said:
    If you don’t want to use the FG as a guideline, then use the A in STATES.
    If it is centered between the two T’s , it is a WAM. If it’ is closer to the right T, then it is a CAM.
    Do not go by the distance between the AM, too many variables, use one of the other two markers.

    He DID use the FG as a guideline and wants to use the FG as a guideline.

    That's fine if he uses it correctly. He is showing photos of proof cents and comparing it to his business strike from Philly.

    In any case, this one is clearly the WIDE AM.

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Texas A&M is closer and I'm in Nebraska.

  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Correct me if I forget something. The seriffed and non-serif FG are the reverses of eighty-eight and eighty-nine on the 1988 cent. I am unaware that the designer initials were an indicator of a 1992 cent close AM.

  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 8:58AM

    Maybe this will help

  • Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

    From The Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents by Wexler and Flynn, the reverse hub design was changed between 1992 and 1993. The 1992 Close AM resulted from the use of the 1993 hub in 1992.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 3:33PM

    @Fraz said:
    Correct me if I forget something. The seriffed and non-serif FG are the reverses of eighty-eight and eighty-nine on the 1988 cent. I am unaware that the designer initials were an indicator of a 1992 cent close AM.

    Yes, I believe this is correct. But, regardless, those are the widest close AM that I've ever seen, serifs or no serifs.

  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 4:16PM

    @Fraz said:
    Correct me if I forget something. The seriffed and non-serif FG are the reverses of eighty-eight and eighty-nine on the 1988 cent. I am unaware that the designer initials were an indicator of a 1992 cent close AM.

    See comments by Greenstang and hbarbee. The designer's initials were indeed changed again on the Close AM reverse.

  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 4:05PM

    Take the OP's least manipulated photo, and even though the photo is garbage, you can still see that the designer's initials match the Wide AM reverse.

  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 4:44PM

    Thanks, you guys. I have a couple dozen rolls of ‘92’s to look at, again.

  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Fraz said:
    Thanks, you guys. I have a couple dozen rolls of ‘92’s to look at, again.

    I dont even look at the initials, honestly. The AM is either touching, or it's not. Once you see enough of them, you'll be able to discern the true variety at arm's length.

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Greenstang said:
    Maybe this will help

    The circled shows the serifs of the fonts. Although you must include the extended, north to south serif of the pictured
    Wide AM G which is like "picking nat droppings out of pepper" depending on how the impression Gods felt that day.
    I'm not afraid to be corrected when i'm wrong, and this was one of those pooper scooper moments.
    A second pair of eyes helps a bunch and I thank you.
    Another response comes to mind...........But I just can't spell it.

  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This one is interesting. Is it below a minor error, or was it someones senior moment ?
    Yes, it was abused. Although, I'll use it as a reference guide of the Close AM's reverse to compare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file