Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grease-Mold Replication Error?

jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

So just to assure everyone that I didn’t find this in a parking lot, but received it back in change several years ago. And to validate my find I am including an article from CoinWorld from 2014 to show these exist. These consist of doubling of the last digit in this case the 4 which is slightly larger and is offset to the southeast of the original number 4. Another known aspect of the cents is blurring of the IB of Liberty which one can easily identify on this coin. So I just thought this was a very weird and interesting error, one I had never known of or heard about before. Anyone else ever come across one before? I’ve included a few pictures and don’t beat me up about the number or lack of quality. It’s hard to get a good image, but this is the best I could do.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I have not seen this before.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Interesting. I have not seen this before.

Just wanted to know if anyone has seen this before.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the post, a very interesting post. I have not heard of this type doubling. "Grease mold doubling has only been seen in cents dated from 1995 to 2000 and in all cases, only affects the terminal digit." per Error-Ref.com
    It is amazing to me as to how many Lincoln error searchers haven't found more of these while searching for the 95 DDO or the 98/99/00 Wide AM coins. Not sure if there is actually any idea as to how many were produced, but I would assume not many or more would have been discussed here.
    Thanks again.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Thanks Jim for your response. I’m wondering if any of these have been certified by our host or if they even know about this error. As you stated, these have been found only in cents of the years 1995-2000. Could this be the only one known to date from1994? Thank you again. Zack

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file