Home Sports Talk
Options

Do the White Sox have the worst hitting middle infield in history?

Paul Dejong and Nicky Lopez.

Dejong was actually decent in the start of his career, but what I am looking at is how good are they right now.

Here are each of their hitting lines from 2022-2024.

Dejong
BA .188
OB% .251
SLG% .332

Lopez
BA .227
OB% .295
SLG% .282

Obviously this is their first year together, but right now starting in the same middle infielder, has there ever been a worse hitting combo?

What would possess a front office to begin the year with them as their starting middle infield and think they are doing a good job running a team?

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would possess a front office to begin the year with them as their starting middle infield and think they are doing a good job running a team?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't even imagine how bad is their farm system. 😆

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

They have a top prospect SS almost ready to come up. They want to start his clock as late as possible. Reinsdorf is as cheap as they come.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@stevek said:

They have a top prospect SS almost ready to come up. They want to start his clock as late as possible. Reinsdorf is as cheap as they come.

I googled it, I guess you're referring to Colson Montgomery.

Checking his stats, I can see the flaws in his game, especially the number of strikeouts, which of course would get even worse in the bigs.

Frankly, at his first stint in AAA, he's doing quite poorly, including a .187 batting average. However it's only 3 games thus far. He's only 22 years old, so there may be room for improvement. He'd best do it quickly or next year he may be an insurance salesman.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭

Worst hitting middle infield in modern times would be the 1981 Padres with Ozzie and Juan Bonilla or the 1979 Padres with Ozzie and Fernando Gonzalez. The 1997 Mets are in the conversation as well

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 7:37PM

@Basebal21 said:
    Worst hitting middle infield in modern times would be the 1981 Padres with Ozzie and Juan Bonilla or the 1979 Padres with Ozzie and Fernando Gonzalez. The 1997 Mets are in the conversation as well

1979 was SD was putrid. Good pick.

Bonilla hit .290/.337/.344 for 99 OPS+ That isn't too shabby.
    Ozzie was terrible that year. > @stevek said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@stevek said:

I googled it, I guess you're referring to Colson Montgomery.

Checking his stats, I can see the flaws in his game, especially the number of strikeouts, which of course would get even worse in the bigs.

Frankly, at his first stint in AAA, he's doing quite poorly, including a .187 batting average. However it's only 3 games thus far. He's only 22 years old, so there may be room for improvement. He'd best do it quickly or next year he may be an insurance salesman.

I don't see him as a savior type. He is the best they have. The fact that he is 22 and just entering AAA isn't a good sign(and not coming out of college).

Yes, way too early for the stat line.

But he could strike out every single out he makes if it results in 100 BB and 40 HR or a .850 OPS. Sox already have guys with the goal of making contact and that is why they dont' score runs because they are really good at grounding out to second and not good at getting BB, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR.

The Sox are cheap throughout everywhere in the organization and a good reason why they can't find prospects consistently and/or improve the ones they have.