Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA CARD HOLDERS

Anyone else receive their standard size cards back from PSA in a holder which allows the card to slide all over the place and damage the card? If so what kind of response did you receive back from PSA?

«1

Comments

  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2024 9:11AM

    It is possible for it to move ever so slightly in the slab, though that shouldn't damage the card.

    I had a 1950 Bowman card that slid up into the label. That was annoying as I tried to get it back into the actual holder and was afraid it could do surface damage.

    I was surprised they didn't initially put it in a holder they traditionally use for 50 Bowman cards. However it's possible that some of the 50 Bowman cards were cut just bigger than the ones that fit in their holders so that's why it was in a standard slab?

    Regardless, I sent it back and had it reslabbed in a penny sleeve.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    Here are two cards out of just over 300 that were part of a 500 card order. As you can see in the picture these are not the card holders that should be used for several reasons including damage to the card and decreased value.

  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Humanfish said:
    Here are two cards out of just over 300 that were part of a 500 card order. As you can see in the picture these are not the card holders that should be used for several reasons including damage to the card and decreased value.

    Those are the holders that are typically used when a card is oversized and held in place with a Mylar insert. Should absolutely not be used without an insert for this size card.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    Here is the second picture. Again I received just about 200 in the correct slabs for almost all the same year cards (1971 Topps NFL) but to get back over 300 cards in these holders is inexcusable!

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭


    Here are some ‘70’s that were put in these holders. Totally unacceptable!

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭


    How would you like to receive back these cards in holders that allow the card to slide all over within? PSA contacted me and made sure I paid for the up charge due to the grade (value) prior to shipping back to me but then put these valuable cards in the wrong size holder and yet PSA has yet to respond to my messages and phone calls for weeks.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭


    More of the 300 plus cards that PSA sent back to me. In a decade plus and many of thousands of cards never had this happen.

  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

    wow

  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

    Is this an April Fools joke?? If not, I have no further comment as I do not want to get banned.

  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

    Definitely wrong size holder. I would be pissed.

  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2024 12:32PM


    They do have the mylar sleeves, so they really shouldn't get all the way to the bumpers to get damaged. It still does not make it right, and I too would be pissed and looking for answers. At least you can assume that they are not trimmed, possibly oversized.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @Mickey71 said:
    Is this an April Fools joke?? If not, I have no further comment as I do not want to get banned.

    I wish it was an April Fools Joke but its not!!!

  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

    The alternative was for them all to be returned with MC designation (since they don't have an oversize designation). CGC does the same thing. It would be nice if they introduced an in between sized slab for cards that are just slightly oversize..

  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

    @gameusedhoop said:
    I'm wondering why the are no pictures of these cards when looking through the PSA Cert Verification. They are new grades so the should all be pictured.

    There are still some service levels where you don't get even the standard images. High-Res, Standard, Picture it in Your Head (I guess). I have had a lot of 1976 topps baseball which are oversized enough that they uses these pictured holders with the mylar sleeves inside. I haven't had any that move around like that. I would be pissed.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    The 300 plus cards are not MC’s but rather PSA decided to put them into holders that can accommodate other larger cards. Approximately 200 were in correct holders where they can’t slide around but I’m assuming they ran out of them or these holders got mixed in. Either way how this got through a quality check is beyond me.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭


    You can see the stack of cards to the right are in the proper holders where the card can not slide around and become damaged. It’s centered in the slab. The cards to the left are in the wrong defective or however PSA wants to describe them. Cards are immediately devalued due to the concern of damage to the card, and just the overall appearance within the holder itself. Nobody wants to see their cards cockeyed in a slab!!!

  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

    About 2 weeks ago, I watched this PSA reveal video on YouTube. Check out the mounting on these. Something going on at PSA?


  • Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

    So much for quality which was a joke anyway

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    Those are definitely much smaller then the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 Topps cards. In fact those are the holders that PSA has always used on the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cards well at least till I got my order back several weeks ago.

  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Humanfish said:
    Those are definitely much smaller then the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 Topps cards. In fact those are the holders that PSA has always used on the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cards well at least till I got my order back several weeks ago.

    Have you tried contacting them? That's not just one or two slabs,that's alot and I'd be trying to reach customer service if I were in your position. Good luck.

  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

    @Humanfish said:
    The 300 plus cards are not MC’s but rather PSA decided to put them into holders that can accommodate other larger cards. Approximately 200 were in correct holders where they can’t slide around but I’m assuming they ran out of them or these holders got mixed in. Either way how this got through a quality check is beyond me.

    DId you try measuring any of the cards in the large holders to a 16th of an inch? Otherwise you can't say they aren't MC...

  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

    I would guess that they were slightly oversized and wouldn't fit in the normal holders without damage.

    Matt

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @erikthredd said:

    @Chicago1976 said:
    About 2 weeks ago, I watched this PSA reveal video on YouTube. Check out the mounting on these. Something going on at PSA?


    This is what they should have done with that set...

    @firstbase23 said:
    I would guess that they were slightly oversized and wouldn't fit in the normal holders without damage.

    Matt

    These cards are not oversized. PSA decided to use these other holders which I am going to assume are less expensive and were available. I am hearing from others in the industry that this is what PSA is doing instead of delaying orders. Its not right on a customer stand point and devalues the card and may damage it as well.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @Humanfish said:

    @erikthredd said:

    @Chicago1976 said:
    About 2 weeks ago, I watched this PSA reveal video on YouTube. Check out the mounting on these. Something going on at PSA?


    This is what they should have done with that set...

    @firstbase23 said:
    I would guess that they were slightly oversized and wouldn't fit in the normal holders without damage.

    Matt

    These cards are not oversized. PSA decided to use these other holders which I am going to assume are less expensive and were available. I am hearing from others in the industry that this is what PSA is doing instead of delaying orders. Its not right on a customer stand point and devalues the card and may damage it as well.

    I agree those are the correct holders for those much smaller NBA units.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @erikthredd said:

    @Humanfish said:
    Those are definitely much smaller then the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 Topps cards. In fact those are the holders that PSA has always used on the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cards well at least till I got my order back several weeks ago.

    Have you tried contacting them? That's not just one or two slabs,that's alot and I'd be trying to reach customer service if I were in your position. Good luck.

    I have started contacting PSA right after I received the order back but they are so backed up. Its going to take a lot more work to get this resolved but I am on it.

  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If those cards are all oversized, I’d follow the industry trend and give them a haircut, and resulting +2 grades.

  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You could always crack out a random lower graded card from each pile and try fitting the "oversized" card into the normal PSA slab to see how it fits.
    With that amount of cards in both piles there's bound to be some cards that you thought were undergraded and If it were me I'd test a couple just to see if it really was due to oversized cards or if its an error on PSA's part for not having enough of the correct sized slabs on hand. I'd still stick with trying to get thru to PSA too though.

  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Human, off topic but you have a great collection! Welcome to the Boards!

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

    @PaulMaul said:
    Come on guys…hundreds of cards are not oversized, and even if they were, there should be a mylar sleeve to hold the card in place.

    There is a mylar sleeve in each one.... could you imagine if there wasn't. The cards just move when you give it a decent jolt, like in shipping.

  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

    This is what PSA did with one of my slightly shorter than standard cards, 3-1/4 x 2-1/2.
    Because the card is really thin, they added a mylar sleeve, but not a flat sleeve inside of a standard size holder.
    Instead they used a sleeve with stamped in rails which then needed to be put in a tall boy holder.

    Yet other times they could just put them in standard sized holders.
    So random and makes storing them really fun.

  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

    @Cakes said:
    Human, off topic but you have a great collection! Welcome to the Boards!

    Yeah, it's too bad we're talking about the holders and not about those GREAT cards.
    71 football is where it all started for me.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @erikthredd said:
    You could always crack out a random lower graded card from each pile and try fitting the "oversized" card into the normal PSA slab to see how it fits.
    With that amount of cards in both piles there's bound to be some cards that you thought were undergraded and If it were me I'd test a couple just to see if it really was due to oversized cards or if its an error on PSA's part for not having enough of the correct sized slabs on hand. I'd still stick with trying to get thru to PSA too though.

    I appreciate the feedback and response from everyone but one point is these cards (over 300) are not oversized! I do not believe there is a single card oversized or min sized because PSA would not grade them. They will make you pay for the service and will not slab it but rather send it back to you in the Card Saver.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @RonSportscards said:

    @Cakes said:
    Human, off topic but you have a great collection! Welcome to the Boards!

    Yeah, it's too bad we're talking about the holders and not about those GREAT cards.
    71 football is where it all started for me.

    Thanks for the note! I have done just about all I can do with the 1972 Topps NFL set so I figured why not get into the '71's. Lol

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @PaulMaul said:
    Come on guys…hundreds of cards are not oversized, and even if they were, there should be a mylar sleeve to hold the card in place.

    Over 300 cards are not oversized. In fact I do not believe there is a single over or min size because if so they would send them back. I did get about 5 cards that were min size and zero oversized.

  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Humanfish said:

    @erikthredd said:
    You could always crack out a random lower graded card from each pile and try fitting the "oversized" card into the normal PSA slab to see how it fits.
    With that amount of cards in both piles there's bound to be some cards that you thought were undergraded and If it were me I'd test a couple just to see if it really was due to oversized cards or if its an error on PSA's part for not having enough of the correct sized slabs on hand. I'd still stick with trying to get thru to PSA too though.

    I appreciate the feedback and response from everyone but one point is these cards (over 300) are not oversized! I do not believe there is a single card oversized or min sized because PSA would not grade them. They will make you pay for the service and will not slab it but rather send it back to you in the Card Saver.

    I believe you brother! Stay on them until you reach someone that could actually help you.

  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is actually not true that PSA won’t grade oversized cards. They do put such cards in this style of holder with a Mylar sleeve. I have gotten back several cards like that in the past, but it’s usually on the order of one card out of 50. Certainly not germane to your situation.

  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 2:05PM

    @Humanfish said:
    I do not believe there is a single card oversized or min sized because PSA would not grade them. They will make you pay for the service and will not slab it but rather send it back to you in the Card Saver.

    That is incorrect.... You don't pay if the card is min-size or over-size/MisCut to the point it won't fit in a holder or they feel they can't safely slab it without exposing it to possible damage... Now if it is trimmed or altered, then they charge you.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @RufussCkingston said:

    @Humanfish said:
    I do not believe there is a single card oversized or min sized because PSA would not grade them. They will make you pay for the service and will not slab it but rather send it back to you in the Card Saver.

    That is incorrect.... You don't pay if the card is min-size or over-size/MisCut to the point it won't fit in a holder or they feel they can't safely slab it without exposing it to possible damage... Now if it is trimmed or altered, then they charge you.

    You are correct in that PSA will not charge you if they find that the card is min size.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    PSA Grading Terms and Conditions; PSA will not grade items which bear evidence of trimming, recoloring, restoration or any other form of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity, and Customer agrees not to knowingly submit any such items. Customer agrees that in the event PSA rejects any items for grading, PSA shall not refund the amount paid by Customer because the determination to reject an item requires a review by PSA's graders and authenticators.

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Humanfish said:
    PSA Grading Terms and Conditions; PSA will not grade items which bear evidence of trimming, recoloring, restoration or any other form of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity, and Customer agrees not to knowingly submit any such items. Customer agrees that in the event PSA rejects any items for grading, PSA shall not refund the amount paid by Customer because the determination to reject an item requires a review by PSA's graders and authenticators.

    Yes, but what does that have to do with anything in this discussion?

  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PaulMaul said:
    It is actually not true that PSA won’t grade oversized cards. They do put such cards in this style of holder with a Mylar sleeve. I have gotten back several cards like that in the past, but it’s usually on the order of one card out of 50. Certainly not germane to your situation.

    Possibly. Possibly not. @Humanfish could easily have picked out slightly oversized 1971 Topps over the years either inadvertently or on purpose. I'm sure he submitted far fewer than 2% of the ones he considered for his collection. The question would easily be answered if he would measure the cards with a sufficiently fine ruler, as @RufussCkingston suggested above.

    None of which suggests that it's OK to slab them this way without the sleeve, for the well-documented reasons above.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    @daltex said:

    @Humanfish said:
    PSA Grading Terms and Conditions; PSA will not grade items which bear evidence of trimming, recoloring, restoration or any other form of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity, and Customer agrees not to knowingly submit any such items. Customer agrees that in the event PSA rejects any items for grading, PSA shall not refund the amount paid by Customer because the determination to reject an item requires a review by PSA's graders and authenticators.

    Yes, but what does that have to do with anything in this discussion?

    @daltex said:

    @Humanfish said:
    PSA Grading Terms and Conditions; PSA will not grade items which bear evidence of trimming, recoloring, restoration or any other form of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity, and Customer agrees not to knowingly submit any such items. Customer agrees that in the event PSA rejects any items for grading, PSA shall not refund the amount paid by Customer because the determination to reject an item requires a review by PSA's graders and authenticators.

    Yes, but what does that have to do with anything in this discussion?

    I had stated incorrectly that PSA will still charge a fee if they decide a card is minimum size so I pasted the above from their website.

  • Options
    HumanfishHumanfish Posts: 21 ✭✭

    One point in posting and providing pictures is to bring awareness to people who send cards in for grading that you have the potential to get your card sent back to you in this condition. In about a decade with over 3,000 submissions I have never had a single card come back in these horrible holders. PSA has always used the holders that allows for ~ 1mm of room around for the card (2 1/2 x 3 1/2) contained within. Majority of my submissions have been 1972 Topps NFL and then next would be 1971 Topps NFL. Its not what you expect to see and should not have to see on any card let alone a several thousand dollar card laying there cockeyed and being able to shift within. It actually should not matter if its a $25 card or a much more expensive card. I do not believe it has anything to do with a single card being "oversized" but rather PSA substituting the right or preferred holder for a lesser quality and potentially damaging but certainly value decreasing one.

  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

    With them buying up the competition, this isn't going to get any better.

    Brian

  • Options

    @PaulMaul said:
    Come on guys…hundreds of cards are not oversized, and even if they were, there should be a mylar sleeve to hold the card in place.

    Indeed. It's what you see when QC gets too loosey goosey.

  • Options

    This has happened to me a few times, and usually I spot it in the Cert photo before it's even shipped.

    I just put in a CRC request using the cert photo even before they ship it out to me, and they've always said yes, and let me ship it back (for free) for a reholder (also free).

  • Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

    I'd understand if they were from the same vending box and oversized but the fact that they are from different sets tells me it was laziness. A few cards from different people have come back with fingerprints on them too.

Sign In or Register to comment.