Home Q & A Forum

Remove coin from silver dish?

Is it possible to remove a coin from this type of dish?
Possibly to get a grade as authentic?

Tagged:

Comments

• JWPJWP Posts: 20,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 2:51PM

You may damage the bowl and/or the coin trying the removal process. If you like it keep it. If you're not crazy about it, jut sell it as is. Trying to get this authenticated may be tuff. does the bottom of the bowls show the reverse side of the coin. Do you know the exact year and mint mark (if the coin has one)?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• China: Republic Sun Yat-sen "Birds Over Junk" Dollar Year 21 (1932) …looks like this…
    Yes, you can see both sides of the coins. I posted a picture.

• I found at local Thrift store paid $1.25 for both. It was with pewter item's when I noticed hallmarks that said Silver… :o My research on this coin found surprisingly high value even for one’s graded as TOOLED / Cleaned .

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

May have more value as hollowware. Try contacting Chinese experts at the major auction houses with pictures. Heritage Auctions may be a place to start.

• zrnumismaticszrnumismatics Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

For me, once a coin is used in jewelry, bowls, spoons, etc it should not be removed and sold as a coin.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice.

• @DisneyFan said:
    May have more value as hollowware. Try contacting Chinese experts at the major auction houses with pictures. Heritage Auctions may be a place to start.

Disney fan, Thank you so much. Never heard of “ Hollowware” learn something new every day thanks to knowledgeable people like you!

• flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 126 ✭✭

Yes, and No.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if silver solder is involved, you're gonna have problems. Good luck

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it as it is now. I think you'll get far more for them as hollowware.

3 rim nicks away from Good