Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does using acetone on a q-tip cause damage to a coin when rubbing a coin?

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2024 2:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Had to take out of a PCGS slab has PVC. Did PVC bath and also used q-tips with acetone on the affected area now all have been removed that was green in a small spot. Coin use to be PCGS VG-10.

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2024 2:21PM

I guess ''I had'' to take the green area off and hopefully did not damage it. It is not a rare coin by any means or valuable just a common coin in my US dime collection. Will go into a 2 by 2 like the rest of my US dimes. Value is 100$.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2024 2:23PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Had to take out of a PCGS slab has PVC. Did PVC bath and also used q-tips with acetone on the affected area now all have been removed that was green in a small spot. Coin use to be PCGS VG-10.

Very low chance of hurting a VG10 coin by rubbing it lightly with a Q-tip. But if you are doing the same with an unc or a proof you should roll the Q-tip vs rubbing, far less chance of imparting hairlines on the the coin that way.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s $25,000 Alpaca. You don’t “rub”, you blot that chit! Lol

As long as your gentle it’s should fine, when I’ve done it I gently rolled the a tip and barely put any pressure on it. Like Tom says, it’s not really the cotton fibers, it’s any grit or particles that get trapped in there that will cause the hairlines.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't scrub

let the acetone do all the work

you can rinse the contaminated acetone off the coin with an acetone rinse

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@coinbuf said:

Very low chance of hurting a VG10 coin by rubbing it lightly with a Q-tip. But if you are doing the same with an unc or a proof you should roll the Q-tip vs rubbing, far less chance of imparting hairlines on the the coin that way.

Role vs rubbing....noted thanks.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were that concerned about it, you should have asked us first.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

edited March 29, 2024 2:46PM

@OAKSTAR said:

I should have but figured I knew better. And now I see I did not. Never crossed my mind that a soft new q-tip could cause any marks. Then it clicked on me today maybe I did this wrong.

@OAKSTAR said:

I should have but figured I knew better. And now I see I did not. Never crossed my mind that a soft new q-tip could cause any marks.

If you're treating a coin with acetone and a Q-Tip, submerge the coin in a small bowl of acetone. Submerge two Q-Tips in the bowl with the coin until they are saturated. Hold the submerge coin with one of the Q-Tips then GENTLY (very GENTLY) wipe or rub the coin with the other saturated Q-Tip.........................to late! 🤣 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

roll, don't scrape or wipe. I also was told use wood or cardboard/paper sticks as the plastic ones can dissolve in whatever you are using.

@davewesen said:
    roll, don't scrape or wipe. I also was told use wood or cardboard/paper sticks as the plastic ones can dissolve in whatever you are using.

Mine are cardboard again this never crossed my mind thanks.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I roll a qtip over the pvc spots while the coin is submerged in acetone. After the coin has been soaking for a while. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be fine. Do it all the time.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be no reason to use a qtip. Just soak it longer and swish it around.

@Clackamas1 said:
    There should be no reason to use a qtip. Just soak it longer and swish it around.

Maybe it was not PVC it was a harder green spot possibly verdigris? I am not sure but now it is gone.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oakstar is spot on and what I also have said numerous times. Also some cotton "buds" as the Brits sometimes say can be loose or tight fiber. IMHO the tight fiber swabs if dry may hairline the surface the looser when pre-soaked in the acetone much less likely (but obviously not grinding it).. This method does work much better than simple soaks in my experience.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • CircCamCircCam Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grab the end of the Q-Tip with my index/thumb and pull the cotton out a bit so it isn’t so rigid. Then saturate with acetone, hold it horizontally over the coin and twist the Q-tip like a spit to roll it across the surface without exerting any downward pressure.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coin are you referring to. Show us the photo. Also, rubbing/cleaning is not good for coin.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

edited March 30, 2024 7:43PM

@JWP said:
    What coin are you referring to. Show us the photo. Also, rubbing/cleaning is not good for coin.

1887 US Dime I do not have a camera I just use images the sellers used when I purchased. I know we are 2024 just have no use for a camera of cell phone. It truly did nothing except removing the green I can easily see that threw my jeweller's lens (that I do own and was cheap but good for smaller coins).

It is OK it is a 100$ coin max if I ruined it then I have to live with it now. I will do it better next time if need be.

You cannot see it on the seller's image. If I had I would not have purchased it since it is a easy coin to find. Live and learn. It was PCGS VG graded.

Depending on the mint mark a VG10 is worth around. $30 -$40. So, trying to clean it isn't a budget breaker. If ypu had a cell phone, you could post photos from your phone or use the SD card from a camera to post to your computer. Cell phone cameras are really great, i just have a problem with lighting when taking a picture. Good luck with your cleaning.

@JWP said:
    Depending on the mint mark a VG10 is worth around. $30 -$40. So, trying to clean it isn't a budget breaker. If ypu had a cell phone, you could post photos from your phone or use the SD card from a camera to post to your computer. Cell phone cameras are really great, i just have a problem with lighting when taking a picture. Good luck with your cleaning.

May buy a microscope that you can upload images to your computer but not just a normal camera or cell phone I have no need for those in my life.

I have a DM-4 microscope that I really like. It uses a Micro SD card. With microscope that i have it is hard to get a complete picture of a coin. But it is great on extremely tiny details. good luck.

@JWP said:
    I have a DM-4 microscope that I really like. It uses a Micro SD card. With microscope that i have it is hard to get a complete picture of a coin. But it is great on extremely tiny details. good luck.

Thanks. I need a good one will buy one late this Fall to have winter projects I can add to my list.

Cameras are way overrated! Right in the middle of taking a few pictures of my coins, my camera runs out of film! Can you believe that?? I had to go to CVS and get some more. Outrageously expensive!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I would just roll the Q-Tip as to avoid build up around the drums :D

But never ever clean your coins :D

edited March 30, 2024 8:16PM

I am a single man with little family I have simply no use for a camera or cell phone. They would not be that great anyways with the size of coins I collect (dimes and 1 reales aka 12 1/2 cents). I will go with a good microscope as mentioned later in 2024 or when deals come up on amazon.

I am not into taking pictures just for fun never was my thing. But a good microscope will be a good use since it is for my hobby.

@PillarDollarCollector - Did you coin look something like this?

@OAKSTAR said:
    @PillarDollarCollector - Did you coin look something like this?

No

Worse?

@OAKSTAR said:
    Worse?

VG-10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file