Home Precious Metals
Options

Graded Platinum pricing on ebay.

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every now & then, I check ebay for Plats that I might need for my set, and I've noticed recently that graded platinum has become 'priced to perfection", meaning that it's becoming prohibitively higher-priced for numerous issues, relative to what the spot price has been doing. Ebay sellers seem to be pumping up their asking prices more so than the nominal increases in spot pricing.

Granted, that platinum bullion normally has a wider buy-sell spread than gold or silver, but the price increases seem to be more dramatic than platinum's moderate spot price increases for the past year or so.

At the same time, it doesn't look as if auction prices for graded platinum have followed the ebay trend of disproportionately-higher price markups.

Does this represent an arbitrage opportunity for platinum aficionados?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ther eis a big difference between eBay asking prices and actual sold prices. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2024 3:11PM

I would say that the only really meaningful prices on eBay are auction selling prices, which can be searched. Buy it now list prices may be associated with hopium.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the gold plat ratio have any relevance?

How about silver plat ratio?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Does the gold plat ratio have any relevance?

It might. I've started to pay attention to it.

How about silver plat ratio?

Not so much, I think. The gold/silver ratio seems more relevant to me.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

gutter, and overpriced gutter hold no candle to the Metal of Kings. I'm certain history has absolutely shown us that.....And so will the future. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

GSR = 89

Since we're talking about silver, a ratio like this tells me that if I'm buying anything, it ought to be either platinum or silver. It's not that I don't like gold, but I think I would get more mileage from platinum or silver right now.

I knew it would happen.