Home Sports Talk
Options

Is the ball juiced or is pitching that bad again.

2»

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 4:28PM

I've learned in this thread that some believe Gallo is more valuable player than Tony Gwynn. Thats right up there with past tripe mentioning Blylevin or Niekro was more valuable than Seaver, and Trout over Ruth, Mays and Aaron. Not to mention Kingman over Brett and Schmidt...

IIRC The Great Gallo has only 1 sac fly in his career! Yep quite a valuable guy to have at the plate in bottom of ninth with 1 out and tying run on 3rd. (end sarcasm)

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 7:49PM

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    I've learned in this thread that some believe Gallo is more valuable player than Tony Gwynn. Thats right up there with past tripe mentioning Blylevin or Niekro was more valuable than Seaver, and Trout over Ruth, Mays and Aaron. Not to mention Kingman over Brett and Schmidt...

IIRC The Great Gallo has only 1 sac fly in his career! Yep quite a valuable guy to have at the plate in bottom of ninth with 1 out and tying run on 3rd. (end sarcasm)

That is what you learned from reading that?

There is no way that Gallo being better than Gwynn was proposed.

Nobody ever mentioned Kingman over Schmidt or Brett lol. Show where it says that.

Read again. Ask a question if you are not sure.

If you would like to know where Gwynn value is compared to over Gallo....ask, I will explain it to you.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys

ITs really simple, Gwynn has a lifetime 132 OPS+ and Gallo 108. Gwynn played a long career and both mostly corner guys. No need to dig much deeper between the two.

Gwynn is much better.

Gallo's OPS+ of 108 has been better than league average as a hitter, despite people not understanding that he was even that good because they don't understand the value of OB% or SLG% and they think striking out is far more detrimental than a contact out. As such they draw inaccurate conclusions such as Gallo belongs in a softball league.

• Options

"Gallo is not a super star and never was! Why do you think people believe he was? Had he hit .280 and maintained his walk and home run rate then he would have.

Since he only hit .197, with a high walk rate and elite HR power, he was just a decent player for three years and then a platoon player who fell off badly one of the years.

In the end:

Despite having a career batting average of .196 and striking out for eternity..

He averaged 82 runs scored per 162 games. For comparison, the guy that did all those things (not striking out, hitting for average, and tapping out to the pitcher), Bill Buckner, he only scored 76 runs per 162 games in his prime age 23-32 seasons.

Gallo drove in 82 runs per 162 games.
    Tony Gwynn drove in 76 runs per 162 games and he never struck out and hit for a very higher average.

So why does Gallo belong on a softball team if he drove in more runs per game than Gwynn did?

Seems Gallo was better than average at either scoring or driving them in....just like his 108 OPS+ says he was.

Gallo wasn't a star, but he was a well deserved mostly full time player for four years. Sucked badly a couple, and then actually rebounded last year for a strict part time platoon player.

He could be a softball player any year now...but his MLB career has not been as one, despite his low average and high strikeout rate because he got on base well, ran well, and had elite power. That is why he was employed."

Nothing there or anywhere is saying he was better than Gwynn. Read all the posts. Stop creating false narratives....I know that is popular the last three years.

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 11:30PM

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

Nobody ever mentioned Kingman over Schmidt or Brett lol. Show where it says that.

If you would like to know where Gwynn value is compared to over Gallo....ask, I will explain it to you.

Even a simpleton knows that Gordie Howe is better then Tony Gwynn. Gwynn didn’t win as many Cups as Gordie.

Here’s some useful info for you.
    Just as the QB with the higher QB rating won 31 of the first 31 Super Bowls for his team, and the majority thereafter by a landslide, so does the goalie with the higher save percentage win Stanley Cups for his team. Sawchuk and Plante are the #1 reason Detroit and Montreal won so many Cups. Those two are Scotty Bowman’s top two North American best ever, and many others including me agree with Bowman, with Dryden, Roy, and a few others right behind those two.

Now, how many Cups does Gallo have ?

• Options

@4Boston said:

Even a simpleton knows that Gordie Howe is better then Tony Gwynn. Gwynn didn’t win as many Cups as Gordie.

Just as the QB with the higher QB rating won 31 of the first 31 Super Bowls for his team, and the majority thereafter by a landslide, so does the goalie with the higher save percentage win Stanley Cups for his team. Sawchuk and Plante are the #1 reason Detroit and Montreal won so many Cups. Those two are Scotty Bowman’s top two North American best ever, and many others including me agree with Bowman, with Dryden, Roy, and a few others right behind those two.

I would have to defer to Scotty Bowman's evaluation of Gallo's hockey prowess. At six foot five and 240 pounds, I bet Gallo would make a good goon regardless.

• Options

Still way too early for the thread, but if home runs are at 1.09 a game this year and were 1.21 a game last year...how does that equate to the ball being juiced?

• Options

Still way too early for the thread, but if home runs are at 1.09 a game this year and were 1.21 a game last year...how does that equate to the ball being juiced?

Way too early is correct, but a juiced ball gets through the infield quicker then a dead one.

• Options

@4Boston said:

Way too early is correct, but a juiced ball gets through the infield quicker then a dead one.

Or average infielder age increasing ?

• Options
    edited April 3, 2024 7:06AM

@4Boston said:

Yes it would. It would also get over the fence more.

So in your scenario, the juiced ball is leading to less home runs and less doubles but more singles?

Knowing there haas been a shift ban do you think it is logically likely that has more to do with an increase in singles in this scenario, rather than the ball?

And how do you account for just random chance in any fluctuation?

• Options
    edited April 3, 2024 7:15AM

@4Boston said:

None of them was fit to hold Bobby Orr's jock and that includes the oh so precious Ohtani!

• Options

@4Boston said:

None of them was fit to hold Bobby Orr's jock and that includes the oh so precious Ohtani!

Finally someone with half a brain.

• Options

@4Boston said:

Or average infielder age increasing ?

That would be pretty easy to look at to see if it has. Then once it has been established if it did increase of say a 30 days older by average...would that be a culprit or a rule that has been changed?

• Options

@4Boston said:

Yes it would. It would also get over the fence more.

So in your scenario, the juiced ball is leading to less home runs and less doubles but more singles?

Knowing there haas been a shift ban do you think it is logically likely that has more to do with an increase in singles in this scenario, rather than the ball?

And how do you account for just random chance in any fluctuation?

• Options

Runs per game in MLB fluctuates every year. There could be absolutely nothing that has caused it other than random chance.

There could be a rule that caused a change.

There could be a rule change that did have an affect but it isn't seen compared to the year prior because random chance was also at work affecting the numbers.

• Options

What’s the random chance of Gallo batting.309 this year ? Judge going 20 straight games without a dinger ?
    Cole walking 14 in 9 innings?
    Ohtani hitting.220 ? Can random chance produce this ?

• Options

@4Boston said:
    What’s the random chance of Gallo batting.309 this year ? Judge going 20 straight games without a dinger ?

Our Sun significantly more like to spontaneously Super-Nova than Gallo hitting above .240 in greater than 100 at bats (not plate appearances)

• Options

@4Boston said:

Judge could go 20 games but likely not. If he does, then random chance most likely the culprit since it will be a small sample of games.

Ohtani won't hit .220 for a full season because that is a full season and that is so far below his established norm.

Gallo won't hit .309 for a full season because that is a full season and that is so far above his established norm.

Because we know their established level of ability. At some point Ohtani will hit .220 for a full season if he hangs aroudn long enough and Judge will go 20 games without a home run when his ability fades and then you will have a better idea knowing what their future holds.

There are guys though that have random chance for a full season that reflects in their batting average due to sheer luck of the ball simply finding the holes one year much more so than other years.

Same for home runs. Guys have lucky home run years due to geussing right more than not and not missing it.

Then the regress back to the norm the following year.

That is also why even one full season of data on a player is a bad idea to draw too many strong conclusions.

• Options

I missed todays update of the screen shot of the league runs per game.

Did you not post it because it is down to 4.73?

In 2019 the league averaged 4.83.

Are they changing from juiced to unjuiced balls yearly and monthly now?

• Options

I missed todays update of the screen shot of the league runs per game.

Did you not post it because it is down to 4.73?

In 2019 the league averaged 4.83.

Are they changing from juiced to unjuiced balls yearly and monthly now?

Is all Joey Gallos fault.

• Options

Looking at the effect of types of players and rule changes and how they affect the league is an interesting topic if one is looking at it fairly and logically.

League average is down to 4.64 as of this morning. Last year was 4.62. Up from the 4.28 from two years prior.

I was genuinely curious how the stolen base rules, shift change rules, pitch clock rules; plus the relief pitcher rules would have an affect on the league scoring, league personnel, and how the league would counter when the rules were taken advantage of.

In the end, it will be extremely hard to unwind the impact of each of those and then also separating it from the natural random fluctuations that occur yearly.

Most likely would need several years to see. The stolen base rules showed an immediate affect. I am curious why you think stealing more bases and at a higher rate wouldn't make a difference in run production?

• Options

Looking at the effect of types of players and rule changes and how they affect the league is an interesting topic if one is looking at it fairly and logically.

League average is down to 4.64 as of this morning. Last year was 4.62. Up from the 4.28 from two years prior.

I was genuinely curious how the stolen base rules, shift change rules, pitch clock rules; plus the relief pitcher rules would have an affect on the league scoring, league personnel, and how the league would counter when the rules were taken advantage of.

In the end, it will be extremely hard to unwind the impact of each of those and then also separating it from the natural random fluctuations that occur yearly.

Most likely would need several years to see. The stolen base rules showed an immediate affect. I am curious why you think stealing more bases and at a higher rate wouldn't make a difference in run production?

It’s below singles, doubles, triples, homers and walks.

A clean sheet of ice is important to shooting and skating better, but its way down the list also.

• Options

@4Boston said:

It’s below singles, doubles, triples, homers and walks.

A clean sheet of ice is important to shooting and skating better, but its way down the list also.

Yes, it is below all those things.

I dont' know about the ice...that isn't as cut and dry and linear as the values of singles, double, triples, homers, and walks. :smile: