Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bring back the Wax pack and Gum!

I think 1990 Topps baseball was the last year for the wax packaging with gum (1952-1990?)...Been out of the collecting game for about 20 years...Packs and cards have changed ALOT since then but instead of the retro stuff I have seen where they copy the older vintage card designs I think it would be cool to bring back the WAX pack with Gum experience again...Just a thought from my perch :) ...rock on!!!

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early releases of Topps Heritage circa early 2000's came with gum but wrapped in a clear plastic wrapper but I haven't seen it since. Haven't been looking hard though.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭

No thanks

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

if memory serves, Topps, Donruss and Fleer all had wax packs in 1991. it was the last year though, and the last year for topps gum as well.

I miss wax packs. I am sure it is just the nostalgia though. certainly younger folks would hate them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Heritage and Bazooka in the 2000s had gum, but as mentioned above it was individually wrapped in cellophane. It was surprisingly soft and good.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring back the Wax pack and Gum!....
    No wax for me...
    Bring back...
    Rack Packs - Rack Packs - Rack Packs... :)

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

so long as it's that amazing o-pee-chee gum you got my vote!

• Options

That old gum smell was intoxicating. Baseball pheromones permeated the atmosphere. I got hooked. Every so often, for a boost, I casually sniff a few vintage wax packs.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

1980 Topps Super - Cherry flavored. The best.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    That old gum smell was intoxicating. Baseball pheromones permeated the atmosphere. I got hooked. Every so often, for a boost, I casually sniff a few vintage wax packs.

I echo this. Nothing beats the smell of old cardboard and gum dust.

• Options

@balco758 said:
    1980 Topps Super - Cherry flavored. The best.

Wow cool...never knew they had flavored gum...

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

No thanks with the price of cards :D leave everything except the cards in package only. Who knows what the plastic will do to them in the future.

Cannot imagine all the cards in unopened packs ruined by old gum sticks sticking to cards.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah let’s think more lotto stuff for this day and age. How about a scratch off with a chance of winning a scratch off that you watch someone else scratch.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I would buy and open modern packs if they were still like 80’s packs. I cannot stand opening a modern pack of cards so I just don’t do it. Yes I am old school (over 50). All these youngsters have no clue what is was like to rip wax packs growing up

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@VintagemanEd said:
    All these youngsters have no clue what is was like to rip wax packs growing up

"ALL BASE CARDS?!? NOOOOO!!" LOL

I've watched some breaks and they basically just go to the middle of the pack for the "hit" card.
    The base cards are just looked at as packing material surrounding the "hit" card.
    If they don't get a good hit, they tell the breaker to don't bother shipping them. Just keep the cards.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Yeah there was no better time than opening 87 Topps and piling up the Bo’s and stacking the gum with 2-3 pieces in your mouth already. Then stacking ‘88 Matt Nokes and Sam Horn rookies and then of course Griffey in 1989. Nothing can replicate that except actually going back to those exact boxes. Thank goodness they are still relatively inexpensive

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VintagemanEd said:
    Yeah there was no better time than opening 87 Topps and piling up the Bo’s and stacking the gum with 2-3 pieces in your mouth already. Then stacking ‘88 Matt Nokes and Sam Horn rookies and then of course Griffey in 1989. Nothing can replicate that except actually going back to those exact boxes. Thank goodness they are still relatively inexpensive

I agree. I loved those times.

oh, and you are forgetting Mike Greenwell and Gregg Jefferies.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say bring back 5 cent packs of 1961 Topps packs.⚾

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes most definitely...fire up the older topps manufacturing equipment...hire the now much older orginal employees...get some original 1960's paper stock and Walla willy Wonka style 1961 packs...prolly easier than making todays cards ;)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes most definitely...fire up the older topps manufacturing equipment...hire the now much older orginal employees...get some original 1960's paper stock and Walla willy Wonka style 1961 packs...prolly easier than making todays cards ;)

And while they are at it fire up a 52 Mantle or two. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".