Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Rusty Staub PSA 9

Is there a reason this card went from $30 pre-COVID to $300? Last couple of sales around $175, but multiple sales of $200-300+ before that. Not especially low pop. ??

Comments

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I don’t know the answer to that but based on that card it looks like it was free helmet give away day for kids at Shea.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusty was a very underrated player. Played for a really long time and was pretty productive.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of common cards from the 70s in higher grade commanding larger premiums now especially with no one submitting them anymore at current rates.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

True. 70s 9 are or will be like 80s 10s. No one(me) is sending any commons or semi-stars for grading at these prices.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    True. 70s 9 are or will be like 80s 10s. No one(me) is sending any commons or semi-stars for grading at these prices.

You never sneak a precious few in with another value order just to see if maybe... fingers and toes crossed... that maybe you can get a 10? How do you resist? What is your secret? I've wasted too much $$ grading 77s. I can't help it and I just sent in a bunch along with my 68s in the March special.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

There's only 1 PSA10. It will not likely become available and if it did, it would go for crazy money.
    So that means a PSA9 is essentially the highest attainable grade for the collector.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

@1959 said:

You never sneak a precious few in with another value order just to see if maybe... fingers and toes crossed... that maybe you can get a 10? How do you resist? What is your secret? I've wasted too much $$ grading 77s. I can't help it and I just sent in a bunch along with my 68s in the March special.

Ha. I LOVE subbing the 77s too, and it is definitely a fool's errand. Those things are tough to get a high grade on. So much chipping and badly centered backs. Football is even worse than baseball.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    There's only 1 PSA10. It will not likely become available and if it did, it would go for crazy money.
    So that means a PSA9 is essentially the highest attainable grade for the collector.

A point that is important to note. Some don't figure it out until they lose enough auctions and they actually look at the pop report.