Home Sports Talk
Options

Ice Cube's Big3 offers Caitlin Clark $5MM

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were her, I would sign. big time. per the WNBA cba, rookies drafted 1-4 make $77k/year.

to my knowledge, the highest paid WNBA'er makes $250k/year.

Caitlin should absolutely sign for the 5 MIL. she will get exposed pretty quickly, but could always fall back to the WNBA and have the $5Mil pocketed.

go for it Caitlin!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's like LIV golf money

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed her for what???

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Signed her for what???

Ice Cube's Big3 league. pro 3v3 basketball. Caitlin would be crazy not to sign for that $
    she will get exposed, and quickly but she would have a nice little nest egg before she headed to the WNBA

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:
    Signed her for what???

Ice Cube's Big3 league. pro 3v3 basketball. Caitlin would be crazy not to sign for that $
    she will get exposed, and quickly but she would have a nice little nest egg before she headed to the WNBA

Ahh ok, had not a single clue

• Options

I also wonder how the WNBA would spin this? it certainly seems it would delegitimize the league and their salary structure. they have been propped up by the NBA for years I have heard. I don't see how they could further adjust their salary structure to compete with $5MM. I think the biggest current contract is around $660K for 3 years. I don't think WNBA has the revenue to compete with an offer that large

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that if she did take up Cube's offer some WNBA owners might hold it against her but she's leaving college as the most heralded women's scorer in history. They could all act mad but they'd all jump at the chance to add her to their team.

Ultimately it would be an interesting move for Clark but I think she just goes the straight to the WNBA where she'll become the face of the league and get tons of endoresement deals to make up some of the difference in salary.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

If somebody offered me free tickets and say $50, I still wouldn't go to the game.

For $100 and some decent free food vouchers, I might consider it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I would say that if she did take up Cube's offer some WNBA owners might hold it against her but she's leaving college as the most heralded women's scorer in history. They could all act mad but they'd all jump at the chance to add her to their team.

Ultimately it would be an interesting move for Clark but I think she just goes the straight to the WNBA where she'll become the face of the league and get tons of endoresement deals to make up some of the difference in salary.

I have heard some commentators say that Clarks best opportunity for endorsements has been the last 2 years. womens college basketball is much more popular and visible than the WNBA. She may actually get fewer endorsements after she goes pro. people may attend WNBA games, but people do not watch it on TV. that is what companies look for when endorsing a player.

it is doubtful she will ever get a bigger offer than this $5MM one.

• Options

I do wonder if she did sign with Big3, if it would set womens basketball back. we all know, but I am not sure if the public at large understands how much more skilled male players are? If she does sign with Big3, she will get manhandled and exposed quickly. I wonder what that would do for the optics of Womens professional/college basketball?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I do wonder if she did sign with Big3, if it would set womens basketball back. we all know, but I am not sure if the public at large understands how much more skilled male players are? If she does sign with Big3, she will get manhandled and exposed quickly. I wonder what that would do for the optics of Womens professional/college basketball?

I wouldn't say more skilled. I would say stronger, bigger and more athletic. The women pros are highly skilled.

I think she should take the $5m btw.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

I have heard some commentators say that Clarks best opportunity for endorsements has been the last 2 years. womens college basketball is much more popular and visible than the WNBA. She may actually get fewer endorsements after she goes pro. people may attend WNBA games, but people do not watch it on TV. that is what companies look for when endorsing a player.

it is doubtful she will ever get a bigger offer than this $5MM one.

I agree about that last part,this would probably be her best financial offer ever but I don't agree with her already being maxed out on endorsements before even making the WNBA. There have been very few women basketball players that came out of college with this much limelight. IMO, former UConn star Diana Taurasi is arguably the best all around player ever but even she didn't have the fanfare that Caitlin Clark is getting right now.

She's going to be the WNBA's version of Steph Curry and will likely set all kinds of scoring/3pt shooting records. Even though its still a womens league they're going to market the crap out of her and rightfully so. It may take some time to come close to reaching 5M in career earnings but she'd probably be the quickest female basketball player to reach that number.

Also you have to remember that woman players sometimes go play in foreign leagues during their WNBA offseason and sometimes those leagues pay pretty decent salaries. IIRC Taurasi signed with some Russian team for 1M/season.

• Options

I've haven't looked at all of the details but is that 5M just for one season? If it is she could go play one year for Ice Cube then head to the WNBA. it would be interesting to see how it would play out with the draft though.
    Would it be a situation like Larry Bird where she gets drafted by a team who is ok with waiting a season before signing her? They'd be crazy to pass on adding a player with that much talent who would fill more seats at home games even though it wouldn't be comparable to NBA teams selling out most if not all of the arena.

• Options

Brittney Griner was another player who made around 1M for a season playing in Russia. That's what she was doing when all of that drama happened when she got arrested at a Russian airport.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

Dave Portnoy of Barstool sports also offered her 10 million to play in their pick up league as well. Even if the other WNBA players are jealous of her she should obviously take both deals

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Dave Portnoy of Barstool sports also offered her 10 million to play in their pick up league as well. Even if the other WNBA players are jealous of her she should obviously take both deals

How much freaking money does Portnoy have??

10 million????

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I've haven't looked at all of the details but is that 5M just for one season? If it is she could go play one year for Ice Cube then head to the WNBA. it would be interesting to see how it would play out with the draft though.
    Would it be a situation like Larry Bird where she gets drafted by a team who is ok with waiting a season before signing her? They'd be crazy to pass on adding a player with that much talent who would fill more seats at home games even though it wouldn't be comparable to NBA teams selling out most if not all of the arena.

Its 5 million for 10 games. Its 10 weeks on Saturdays only

• Options
    edited March 28, 2024 2:14PM

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

its going to be hard turning that much money down for suck🤣 such a small amount of games.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

10 million????

Hes got 100s of millions. Penn sold Barstool back to him for $1 dollar AFTER they had paid him over 400 million. He also gets a percentage of High Noon sales. Hes got stupid money, plus he would be able to recoup some of the cost through the content it would create

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

its going to be hard turning that much money down for suck a small amount of games.

Itd be crazy not to take it. She could be the greatest WNBA player of all time and her stardom will still fade some once she goes there. This is the time for her to take her paydays

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

10 million????

One bite everybody knows the rules!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2024 2:21PM

@grote15 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

10 million????

One bite everybody knows the rules!

Out of all of those pizza joints that he tests out, how many do you think throw him a free pizza just for the free publicity? Even if its just 25-50% of them, he's definitely on the winning side. He's kind of a genius in that sense.

• Options

5 or 10 mil is like nothing to some of these super rich celebs.

Caitlin would be like a play toy venture for them, mostly for their personal entertainment until they get tired of it.

• Options

Portnoy is a great guy, a local pub in my town was on the brink of folding because of Covid and he gifted them a decent amount of money to get them through. It literally saved them from shutting down.

It was a very good deed and the pub owner is a friend of mine so in my book Portnoy is a decent guy

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Portnoy is a great guy, a local pub in my town was on the brink of folding because of Covid and he gifted them a decent amount of money to get them through. It literally saved them from shutting down.

It was a very good deed and the pub owner is a friend of mine so in my book Portnoy is a decent guy

He is. He's done a ton of fundraising for small businesses and now with his new dog Miss Peaches he's raised a nearly half million dollars for animal rescue shelters.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

a guy in a facebook group i am part of is convinced Clark should declare herself eligible for the NBA draft. can you even imagine? it would be very ugly and very fast.

girls should not play against boys in professional basketball. unless you get an offer like Caitlin has gotten, then, absolutely.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2024 8:55AM

Forget the physicality of playing against men, her height alone would be reason enough for opposing offensive players to go directly at her whenever she's on defense.
    Having her go head to head with Steph Curry in a 3pt shooutout on All Star weekend would be very entertaining but declaring for the NBA draft would make zero sense.

The WNBA draft is on April 15th and their season starts a month later on May 14th. The Big 3 actually has a draft on May 24th and their season starts on the 22nd of June.
    i'm not sure the timing will work for CC unless she forego's the WNBA season altogether. My guess is she probably turns down both Ice Cube & Dave Portnoy's offers for at least 2024 but once she signs that first WNBA contract, who knows if there will be language in it preventing her from playing in those two other leagues against men.

• Options

@erikthredd you are correct about Clark being exposed on defense. it would get ugly real quick. It would not be pretty for her on offense either.

I think she would be a fool to leave $5-$10 MM on the table to sign a $76k contract.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2024 10:04AM

Everyone is acting like she'll go poor by playing in the WNBA but just the fact that she's receiving huge offers in the 5-10M range to play elsewhere just shows how highly touted she is right now coming out of college.
    She's going to do just fine in regards to her career earnings and her endorsements are going to be on a level that very few woman athletes in this country have even seen.

Clark's NIL earnings just with Nike,Gatorade & State Farm are over 3M already.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    a guy in a facebook group i am part of is convinced Clark should declare herself eligible for the NBA draft. can you even imagine? it would be very ugly and very fast.

girls should not play against boys in professional basketball. unless you get an offer like Caitlin has gotten, then, absolutely.

Caitlin wouldn't make the team for men's basketball at a division III school, let alone the NBA.

It's not even close.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

She can declare all she wants but I don't think anybody would use a pick on her. I tend to think you are right that it would be very ugly and very fast.

Reminds me of Ann Meyers, out of UCLA, and her tryout with an NBA team in the late 70's. I don't recall how that went but I assume not pretty.

• Options

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Caitlin wouldn't make the team for men's basketball at a division III school, let alone the NBA.

It's not even close.

Shed have no chance in the NBA but shes one of the few that could play D3 and be good. D3 is not good basketball, they cant offer athletic scholarships and theres a lot of high schools with nicer gyms than the D3 schools have. You can find better competition in pick up games at like Rutgers park and places like that than you will in D3. Baseball is the only major sport thats decent at the D3 level

• Options
    edited March 29, 2024 1:56PM

Caitlin Clark probably has zero interest in declaring for the NBA draft or even accepting Ice Cube's offer to go play against former NBA players. All it takes is one elbow to her face from some 6-9 260lb power forward and she goes from being the greatest scorer in NCAAW history to that idiot who thought she could hang with the men at 6-0 154lbs.

These topics comparing her to the NCAAM leading scorer & declaring for the draft are entirely either media or fan driven. I mean we're expanding on her not having the physicality or strength to declare for the NBA draft as if this is coming from Clark when in reallity it all started with some guy in Craig's facebook group. 🤣

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Everyone is acting like she'll go poor by playing in the WNBA but just the fact that she's receiving huge offers in the 5-10M range to play elsewhere just shows how highly touted she is right now coming out of college.
    She's going to do just fine in regards to her career earnings and her endorsements are going to be on a level that very few woman athletes in this country have even seen.

Its not that shell go broke but she absolutely will be losing popularity and the endorsements will start to dry up or pay less. Far more people care about womens college basketball than the WNBA. Iowa would have been the leading team in attendance per game this year in the WNBA and it wouldnt have been that close.

She could be the greatest player in the history of the WNBA and shes still going to have a bunch of people that just dont really care or only casually follow because its the WNBA. Aside from her greatness the NIL and offers are from the popularity of putting Iowa womens basketball on the map, the rivalry with LSU and Angel Reese, things like that that go away when she turns pro.

Not to mention the college game has done a good job of generally keeping politics out of it which wont be the case anymore and that alone turns a lot of people off

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Its not that shell go broke but she absolutely will be losing popularity and the endorsements will start to dry up or pay less. Far more people care about womens college basketball than the WNBA. Iowa would have been the leading team in attendance per game this year in the WNBA and it wouldnt have been that close.

She could be the greatest player in the history of the WNBA and shes still going to have a bunch of people that just dont really care or only casually follow because its the WNBA. Aside from her greatness the NIL and offers are from the popularity of putting Iowa womens basketball on the map, the rivalry with LSU and Angel Reese, things like that that go away when she turns pro.

Not to mention the college game has done a good job of generally keeping politics out of it which wont be the case anymore and that alone turns a lot of people off

You have no idea what opportunities she has ahead of her compared to right now. Iowa is currently in the Elite Eight and a college championship would shine even more light on her, as could an Olympic gold medal.

You mention her rivalry with Angel Reece but she's likely to end up in the WNBA as well so its far from being over. Anyways that rivalry is minor compared to going up some of the best female players in basketball history once she gets into that next league.
    She could also go play overseas where some franchises are willing to pay good money to get some of the best players on their teams.

No one here has a single clue where her career earnings are going to end up, its all speculation and nothing more.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

You have no idea what opportunities she has ahead of her compared to right now. Iowa is currently in the Elite Eight and a college championship would shine even more light on her, as could an Olympic gold medal.

You mention her rivalry with Angel Reece but she's likely to end up in the WNBA as well so its far from being over. Anyways that rivalry is minor compared to going up some of the best female players in basketball history once she gets into that next league.
    She could also go play overseas where some franchises are willing to pay good money to get some of the best players on their teams.

No one here has a single clue where her career earnings are going to end up, its all speculation and nothing more.

The Reese rivalry is from Iowa vs LSU fighting for a national title, that wont carry over to the pros very much. They could even end up being teammates and then its really completely gone

Iowa womens college basketball averaged over 11k people a game this year, no WNBA team averaged over 9600 a game. They played an outdoor game at the football stadium that had over 55k people which is more than double the most every for a WNBA game. Even though its getting more popular the WNBA is just not that popular. The womens game is bigger and more popular in college.

She would have to be crazy to go play in Russia which is where they would go overseas for the paychecks in the off-season.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2024 2:28PM

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

It's not even close.

Shed have no chance in the NBA but shes one of the few that could play D3 and be good. D3 is not good basketball, they cant offer athletic scholarships and theres a lot of high schools with nicer gyms than the D3 schools have. You can find better competition in pick up games at like Rutgers park and places like that than you will in D3. Baseball is the only major sport thats decent at the D3 level

A friend of mine's son played basketball for a Division III school, and I attended some of the games.

The big difference between them and Division I, is the Division III kids just can't shoot. However their defense can actually be pretty good. My friend's kid played defense without question at a Division I level, but couldn't make a 3 to save his life. He wasn't all that good at 2's either.

So while I've seen Youtube highlight's of Caitlin shooting and it's very impressive. She just wouldn't get those wide open looks the way she does now against the women. Her ball handling is excellent as well, for women. But a division III man would be all over her with steals, etc. She's just too slow against men.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2024 2:34PM

Look,she's probably not going to reach 10M in career earnings but she's already well on her ways to 5m just in NIL money. Seeing her reach 6-8M is definitely realistic, Will she get there? None of us know and to say otherwise is nothing but speculation.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

It's not even close.

A friend of mine's son played basketball for a Division III school, and I attended some of the games.

The big difference between them and Division I, is the Division III kids just can't shoot. However their defense can actually be pretty good. My friend's kid played defense without question at a Division I level, but couldn't make a 3 to save his life. He wasn't all that good at 2's either.

So while I've seen Youtube highlight's of Caitlin shooting and it's very impressive. She just wouldn't get those wide open looks the way she does now against the women. Her ball handling is excellent as well, for women. But a division III man would be all over her with steals, etc. She's just too slow against men.

Its more than just shooting that separates a D3 basketball player and a D1. Size and athleticism are the biggest things. You can teach people to shoot, you cant teach them to be athletic or to grow.

Trine University won this years D3 college basketball championship. Their Center is 6'7. 4 of their players are listed at 6'0 the same height as Clark and 7 of their players are under 6'4. Unless theyre just going to be able to bomb threes from half court a team that small would get dominated in D1

Theres nothing wrong with D3 (I played my freshman year of baseball at a D3 school before transferring to D1) but its a night and day difference between the two in basketball. Maybe theres a handful of D3 teams she wouldnt make, but she could have made those teams and played at that level with the men. Shes shes one of the few exceptions for it

• Options

Came across this CC NIL article on a Patriots related blog of all places and it shows which companies that she has endorsements with.
    https://www.sbnation.com/womens-ncaa-basketball/2024/4/1/24117909/caitlin-clark-nil-deals-iowa-ncaa

I watched the 4th quarter of the Iowa/LSU Elite Eight game last night and the Hawkeyes looked really good. They're now just 2 wins from a National Championship with arguably their biggest obstacle, LSU, out of the way.

• Options

Caitlin and her team did a magnificent job before the previous game, and bravely weren't influenced by the maggot behavior of the other team and their maggot coach.

I applaud the Iowa team, and I've just become a fan of Caitlin and her team, and wish them success the rest of the way. 😊

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I watched the 4th quarter of the Iowa/LSU Elite Eight game last night and the Hawkeyes looked really good. They're now just 2 wins from a National Championship with arguably their biggest obstacle, LSU, out of the way.

Between playing the victim when they lose and not being on the court for the National Anthem LSU is the more unlikable team, but the biggest obstacle to a championship is by far South Carolina.

South Carolina is a lot like the LSU team and not really likeable either, but they are undefeated on the year. They wanted LSU and Iowa to have to play so they made sure South Carolina was on the other side of the bracket and that LSU and Iowa would match up as early as possible in the bracket giving it the best chance to happen.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2024 2:26PM

Up until this very moment,LSU has been Iowa's biggest obstacle in winning the National title not South Carolina.

South Carolina won the tournament in 2022 then lost to Caitlin Clark's Hawkeyes in the Final Four in 2023. Days later LSU beat Iowa in the championship game.

SC is having an incredible season and could very well win it all but you can't say that they've been Iowa's biggest obstacle when the Hawkeyes were literally the last team to beat them in a game that counts preventing them from a chance at B2B titles.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Caitlin and her team did a magnificent job before the previous game, and bravely weren't influenced by the maggot behavior of the other team and their maggot coach.

I applaud the Iowa team, and I've just become a fan of Caitlin and her team, and wish them success the rest of the way. 😊

Agreed!!

• Options
    edited April 2, 2024 2:48PM

@erikthredd said:
    Up until this very moment,LSU has been Iowa's biggest obstacle in winning the National title not South Carolina.

South Carolina won the tournament in 2022 then lost to Caitlin Clark's Hawkeyes in the Final Four in 2023. Days later LSU beat Iowa in the championship game.

SC is having an incredible season and could very well win it all but you can't say that they've been Iowa's biggest obstacle when the Hawkeyes were literally the last team to beat them in a game that counts preventing them from a chance at B2B titles.

South Carolina is the #1 team that has not lost a single game all year long. They have a 36 game winning streak this year including multiple wins over LSU and a win over Uconn who is Iowas next game.

South Carolina is the biggest obstacle that is still sitting ahead. Had you said Iowas toughest game so far then yes LSU is correct, but saying their biggest obstacle its South Carolina without question who is the biggest obstacle for anyone trying to win the title

You could actually argue that LSU wasnt even a major obstacle because of LSU decisions. Van Lith who was guarding Clarke is a transfer from Louisville who Clarke dominated her there last year too. Quite the strategy to put the same person on Clarke that Clarke owned the year before. Couldnt be happier Clarke made her look like a fool with what shes been saying

• Options

Good looking team of players. 👍

• Options

South Carolina's last loss was to the Iowa Hawkeyes, they've beaten them before. I'm not trying to say that they're some pushover and Iowa walks into a championship. One or both teams can lose their Final Four games and neither one ends up in the title game. Or SC could win the next two games and make it two tournament titles in 3 seasons, that very well could happen.

All I was trying to say is Iowa just beat their biggest foe in their mind,LSU, then add in that they're the last team to beat South Carolina, i'm guessing that their confidence has to be really high right now going into their next game. That's all.

• Options

Iowas biggest foe in their mind is South Carolina. Both Iowa and South Carolina have very different rosters than the year before.

I would like to see Iowa win since the Uconn womens team also wasnt on the court for the national anthem along with SoCal in their elite 8 game and I wont root for teams that do that. South Carolinas coach is probably worse than Mulkey with throwing around accusations. I would love to see South Carolina lose but, they are the obstacle. South Carolina and Iowa are 1 and 2 and South Carolina is the only team Iowa isnt favored against.

• Options
  • Options