Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay auction ending price

Anybody want to educate me as to why this auction went so high? There are lots of pics so a couple of people must have seen something.

https://ebay.com/itm/386873181327

Comments

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bidding war between two over-enthusiastic bidders.

• Options

Silver is at $250?

Most likely... A retiree... if a person has a lot of money, this is the easiest way to put together a fine collection. Remember the retirement rule.... Save everything you can until age 65 then spend it all by age 85. The old folks home treats everyone the same.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

What would be a more typical price for a lot like this?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis5151 said:
    Silver is at $250?

Most likely... A retiree... if a person has a lot of money, this is the easiest way to put together a fine collection. Remember the retirement rule.... Save everything you can until age 65 then spend it all by age 85. The old folks home treats everyone the same.

Old age homes may treat everyone the same but not all old age homes are the same. There is a HUGE difference in your lifestyle in different homes.

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:

$250 incl. shipping on the high end

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way the winning bidder placed another max bid in the last few seconds tells me is was willing to go even much higher.

peacockcoins

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

@SlipKid said:

@goodmoney4badmoney said:

$250 incl. shipping on the high end

Thanks, I don't know the pricing of these. I am familiar with the seller though.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the photos are truly reflective(ha!) of the coins fields and surfaces, then i'd say they were common years but premium coins. don't know their true value

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened to me all the time.

As a seller, back in the coin selling glory years of 2004 and 2005 (I believe the height of the coin market), I would list coins every Sunday and very often, with 60 seconds to go, I would witness two crazy and very determined buyers competing for one coin.

Many times as the coin auction counted down and ended, I would literally break out in laughter (something I'm a little hesitant to admit) as to the wild price my coin had realized.

Good times!!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers all have numerical numbers.

Seller probably saw six people watching.

Seller figured he had a fish on the line and juiced the bidding.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small wonder I never participate in bidding. The seller came out very well, so no wonder he put it to bid.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 5:28PM

Many sellers pump up the price. I saw many items put back to auction in few days after it ended on eBay all the time.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the winning bidders thinks the lot includes all silver proof sets 1993 to 2009 inclusive, but the photos indicate otherwise. The seller could have made that clearer, however.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many ebay auctions get relisted; why PCGS coin facts asks you if you really want to see the ebay results.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2024 6:51AM

I have lost many auctions where winner put in a really high nuke bid (Auction Sniper) over my bid. Those winners most likely rich collectors imo. Woukd be to them like me buying the premium coffee K cups at the grocery store lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2024 7:02AM

Not worth worrying about why an auction price went high or low, people do not always think with logic or intelligence. I stay away from auctions partly for that reason. Premium coffee (or for me any coffee) is likewise a waste of money and time. I am 62, I have had four cups of coffee in all those decades, one in North America, one in Africa, one in Europe and one in Asia. I will never understand the obsession with those beans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file