Home Autographs Forum
Options

Michael Jordan auto

This forum was recommended to me by someone on Blowout, I primarily collect baseball cards and have very little knowledge about TTM or in person auto collecting, but am from Chicago and have a Michael Jordan autograph that my dad got me when I was in junior high after he waited on him for his anniversary dinner (it had occurred to me for many years that my father was kind of a jerk for asking him during his anniversary dinner lol). Nothing crazy exciting it’s basically on an index card sized notepad. It is dated sept of 92 so would have been a few months after their 2nd championship. For whatever reason it never occurred to me until recently to send it somewhere like PSA to get authenticated.

Is PSA the way to go or someone else like ccg now that they’ve acquired JSA? Is it true that Jordan rarely signs anymore? I’m going to go ahead and assume even an authenticated Jordan signature is highly collectible? Any insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your assumptions are correct.

Many of us hate/despise stickers so would recommend a letter or slabbing.

You might get more replies if you post on the Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum.

P.S. - As for your father, sometimes you just have to go for it when you have the chance. :p

• Options
    FunksterFunkster Posts: 11
    edited March 27, 2024 7:11PM

I've looked at PSA's authentication process, what a pain it is compared to their sports card grading submissions. Odd you have to fill out two different forms for authentication and encapsulation. To be perfectly honest I've done nothing with it for over thirty years because I just assumed there wasn't any collectibility since it was just on piece of paper.

Funny thing is my father is not from the US and not a follower of popular US sports, kind of just knew it was a famous basketball player and thought he was jerk for being standoffish LOL. Couldn't understand why he wouldn't want to sign!

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

Nice item to have but the high cost to have authenticated that you know is real is not worth it be authenticated.

Highly doubtful being a scrap of paper to get back authentication fees if and when you decide to sell.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2024 5:34PM

Looks like it's about 350 all told for PSA, which is more than i expected. Having said that looks like a BIN authenticated signature on a notecard sold for 4500 on eBay not too long ago. No idea if it's a real sale, but that's not too shabby.

• Options

Both of those #s are more than I expected. :p

• Options

Me too!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

picture?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Ended up sending to PSA, came back authentic of course. Excited to have it back encased.

• Options

Fantastic!

• Options

Thanks, excited to hang it up!

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Funkster said:

Just curious, how do you hang up an encased autograph?

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@Funkster said:

We will see, depends on what it's in but i've seen some of these cut autos from PSA in thin sleeves not regular slabs. If that's the case i was going to try and get it frame.

• Options

@Funkster said:

@JMS1223 said:

@Funkster said:

We will see, depends on what it's in but i've seen some of these cut autos from PSA in thin sleeves not regular slabs. If that's the case i was going to try and get it frame.

If it’s just authenticated then it would just have a sticker added to it. If you sent it in for slabbing then it will come in a hard case.

• Options

If it's in a hard case as I expect, you could get a small easel and put it on a shelf or table top.

Just be very careful of sunlight and fluorescent light. It could fade away in no time.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2024 5:59PM

@JMS1223 said:

@Funkster said:

@JMS1223 said:

@Funkster said:

If it’s just authenticated then it would just have a sticker added to it. If you sent it in for slabbing then it will come in a hard case.

I got it encapsulated, didnt want the authentication sticker. Admittedly, i know nothing about these types of autos as i've said im primarily a baseball card collector. The encapsulated authenticated cut autos i've seen look like theyre in flimsy plastic sleeves, good to hear its more like a slab.

• Options

@JBK said:
    If it's in a hard case as I expect, you could get a small easel and put it on a shelf or table top.

Just be very careful of sunlight and fluorescent light. It could fade away in no time.

Great idea, thanks!

• Options

Blech, it is NOT encapsulated. What a pain. It came in what is basically an oversized semi rigid. Not thrilled.

• Options

Hmmm. I've never seen that before.

• Options

@Funkster said:
    Blech, it is NOT encapsulated. What a pain. It came in what is basically an oversized semi rigid. Not thrilled.

Does it have a sticker?

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@Funkster said:

Does it have a sticker?

No, i asked they not put it on the paper so it just has the certificate of authenticity. The process is pretty silly, you have to submit two separate forms for authentication and encapsulation so i submitted it after the fact to a customer service rep, which thought we were all good on. Then a second rep was involved asking me some other questions so im sure something got lost in the mix. One way or the other, i'm amazed PSA still makes you print out and fill a paper form for their auto authentication process.