Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some of my recent finds during a coin shop visit. Opinions appreciated and photos are here. :D

johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited March 31, 2024 1:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently stop by a coin shop I have never visited before and spent about $336, I will post some photos of the Morgans and Peace Dollars I picked up once I am able to :) . They are all ungraded
Morgans
MS-62 PL maybe DMPL, 1879-S with clashing
AG-03 or G-04, 1881-O with clashing
After looking at it more: AU-55/58 or NET-AU lacquer 1881-S
MS-63 PL maybe DMPL 1883-O with clashing
MS-61 DMPL? 1889-P
MS-62 PL 1897-S
MS-63 PL or NET-UNC PL Scratch, 1901-O
Now the Peace Dollars
ungradable, 192x ether a 1 or 4 the design suggests it being a 1 after looking at the REV. rays it may be a 24.
PO-01 or FR-02, 1928- slightly to much wear on the REV. to tell the Mint mark as of now.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess, based upon your list of coins and total purchase price of $336, is that you bought a fair number of raw, overgraded coins that are likely not PL or DMPL and that might have altered surfaces. I'm sorry if that reads harsh, but without images that list of coins for that dollar amount is too little to spend.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Dang it, my bad I forgot to put that the grades given to the coins are my own opinions of the grade they would get if I were send them to PCGS. So, I do apologize for the confusion. Oh, and there's no need to apologize as I understand where you're coming from your as I believe you are letting me know not to get my hopes up. As it could be the classic overpriced trash. So, when I get some time I will take and post the photos.😊

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing those lowball Peace dollars.

peacockcoins

• Options

The lowball Peace dollars I got were the ones where I could make out the design or some part of the date. He had some that were so worn that if you didn't know that Peace dollars had a Reverse design you would not have been able to tell.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were the Morgans from a bin, or in 2x2, or something else?

• Options

He had them in two zip lock bags one for culls and one for UNC.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnhenry9009 said:
    He had them in two zip lock bags one for culls and one for UNC.

Since when are "Uncs." kept in zip-lock bags. I hope they don't turn out to be from the a "mint" in China.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 6:19AM

Worst case... you are out $336 because of some Chinese fakes.

Likely case... you recoup 50% of your money on melt prices alone.

Best case... over graded but at least AU and maybe a couple MS.

We all pay a tuition of sorts.

Learn from each purchase

Keep spending it in check until you understand what you are viewing.

Seek out a large coin show that offers the ANA Beginner and Intermediate grading seminars.

The difference between and AU58 and MS64 will be a simple rub breaking the frosting on a high point.

Those seminars were soooo helpful to me.

Best money you can spend if they are feasibly close to attend.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll wait to comment until I see some pics

• Options
    edited March 28, 2024 8:35AM

Come on have some faith😭. I not completely new to numismatics (started in 2019) and I wish I could post some half decent photos but I am on Vacation right now so I can't and unfortunately, I do not live in a area that has the ANA. Here is some info about the place: The strange thing about the place is that they were what i would call upper-class dealers as they had some high graded pre-33 and ancient gold and silver but it did not look like they had the slightest interest in any varieties. They seemed to be more of an investment firm then a dealer. Photos will come on or before Apr, 1. I do apologize for the long winded comment🤣

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have confidence, I'm sure you did quite well.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnhenry9009 said:
    Come on have some faith😭. I not completely new to numismatics (started in 2019) and I wish I could post some half decent photos but I am on Vacation right now so I can't and unfortunately, I do not live in a area that has the ANA. Here is some info about the place: The strange thing about the place is that they were what i would call upper-class dealers as they had some high graded pre-33 and ancient gold and silver but it did not look like they had the slightest interest in any varieties. They seemed to be more of an investment firm then a dealer. Photos will come on or before Apr, 1. I do apologize for the long winded comment🤣

I hope you are not on vacation in Asia!!!! :)

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    I hope you are not on vacation in Asia!!!! :)

:D

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 192x Peace can usually be determined if 1921 by counting the rays on reverse

If your grades are accurate and problem free you did well in your group
    not so if problems or grades way high

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    the 192x Peace can usually be determined if 1921 by counting the rays on reverse

If your grades are accurate and problem free you did well in your group
    not so if problems or grades way high

I didn't know that, how many do the 1921s and the later issues have?

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options

Also, @johnhenry9009 , welcome to the forum. Some people here are a bit overbearing, so don't get too annoyed. Also, when you take your photos, take one for your profile picture, as it really gets you a new level of respect.

• Options

Thank you for the Welcome @CRHer700, but I'll leave my profile as is until I reach about 200/250 quality posts. It gives me something to strive for😂.

• Options

@johnhenry9009 said:
    Thank you for the Welcome @CRHer700, but I'll leave my profile as is until I reach about 200/250 quality posts. It gives me something to strive for😂.

That sounds good, don't be discouraged. :)

• Options
    edited March 28, 2024 11:43AM

This is the worst photo I have ever taken. I am very sorry about this absolute trash.😭 Oh and this is the 192x x=1 or 4

Here is a another one in this photo it looks like a 4

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been awhile since I have checked lowballs, but they might bring a premium.

Fingers crossed, because I have bought plenty of mint state Morgan Dollars in 2x2's that were not worth the cost of slabbing. Still good value.

So far so good.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

+1

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Been awhile since I have checked lowballs, but they might bring a premium.

Fingers crossed, because I have bought plenty of mint state Morgan Dollars in 2x2's that were not worth the cost of slabbing. Still good value.

So far so good.

There’s a decent sized following. Especially if they are from a series you don’t see lowballs in very often. Another forum member here recently made a few PO01 trade dollars and I was pretty amazed at the prices he got.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

Well, I went back there and bought 9 Pre-64 Wash. Quarters, 1 SLQ, 3 10c Mercs. and 22 Roosevelt dimes.
    The dates for the quarters are: (2) 64- P and Ds, (1) 63-D, (1) 61-D, (1) 58-D, (1) 39-P, (1) 36-P, (2) 35 P and S I (1) 27-D? SLQ. The dates for the Dimes goes: (7) 64s D and (1) P, (3) 63s P and D, (2) PR? 62-Ps, (1) unc 62-P, (1) 61-P, (1) PR 1960, (1) 60-P, (1) 59-P, (1) 58-P, (1) 57-P, (1) 56-D , (1) 50-P, (1) 49-D I (1) 43-S, (1) 42-P, (1) 37-D
    I got the Quarters for $5 each, and the Dimes for $2 each. So, this brings my total to $436.

• Options

Here are the Morgan Dollar photos. :smiley:

• Options

And some more.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look like standard "junk box" Morgan dollars, probably AU and/or cleaned. Did you say you're going to get them slabbed? Why would you do that? The cost of slabbing and postage is likely to be more than the value of the coins. I'm sure our host would take your money but I doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 8:07PM

Looks like lots collector (raw) coin and junk box stuff. Suggest you invest in PCGS Coins. The Morgan’s probably culls he did not think worth grading costs. Lots dogs in that group. See lots cleaned. / AU.

Bet he picked up all that from estate deal where only the crap left / 10 pct behind melt he paid.

Just grade them, put in 2x2 flips, price them, then put in junk box (shows). Mark them up accordingly lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now that the photos are up I can say that the photos confirm what I thought from your description of how the coins were stored "He had them in two zip lock bags one for culls and one for UNC".

I certainly haven't been to every coin shop or met every coin dealers in the country, but I've never met one that keep real uncirculated Morgan dollars loose in a zip lock bag. I have seen that method for the culls and other junk silver type of coins but not true unc's, not even the super common dates like these.

As a few have written I see some harshly cleaned coins that would not straight grade, what I don't see is any PL or DMPL coins in your photos. You might get bailed out if one of those were to grade as a PO1 and sell to one of the lowball buyers.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're sincere about the hobby, this will be a learning experience for you. We've all paid tuition in the early days buying junk/cleaned coins. You can learn to spot them pretty quickly after you've seen/bought a few.

• Options

Your photos are suprisingly good.
    Sadly, I can't say the same about your Morgans.

peacockcoins

• Options

It was not a total loss (enjoyment wise🤣 ) as I collect VAMs and I personally do not collect as an investment but as a form of enjoyment. But that does not give me an excuse to make a similar unsmart purchasing decision. I guess you could say this is karma as I did get an actually good morgan last month so I was more hopeful then usual. Here's the Dollar from last month and Please don't mind the the discoloration on the back. That is from compressing the Image from 1.4 Mb to 245Kb😊

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnhenry9009 said:

It was not a total loss (enjoyment wise🤣 ) as I collect VAMs and I personally do not collect as an investment but as a form of enjoyment. But that does not give me an excuse to make a similar unsmart purchasing decision. I guess you could say this is karma as I did get an actually good morgan last month so I was more hopeful then usual. Here's the Dollar from last month and Please don't mind the the discoloration on the back. That is from compressing the Image from 1.4 Mb to 245Kb😊

Does that actually have green haze on the back?

• Options
    edited April 3, 2024 6:28PM

No, the green haze is from scuffing up the compression.
    Here it is uncompressed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file