Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it time to jettison the books and catalogs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

I bought another collector's specialized library when I bought his collection. I sort of had to buy it to buy the collection. Usually, I prefer online resources, and get by fine with that, but this mountain of books and catalogs is fascinating. Everything is marked up with collector notes about other auction appearances, who bought what at each sale, etc., so there's more info than what I can usually find online. The coolest thing is to find coins in the collection that came from the auctions. That said, I tossed a lot of newer catalogs without notes where the info is readily available online.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone is feeling generous, I would be most interested in the Bill Bugert seated half dollar variety spiral bound books. Yes, they are all on-line, but I'd prefer the paper copies! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK if you ship any of your books to the ANA, I think you can use the USPS book rate which will lower your cost.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

It occurred to me to drop a volume or two in one of those neighborhood mini libraries. Perhaps this will inspire the next generation of collectors. On a more mundane note, tomorrow is recycling pickup day.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coin club? Maybe library rate to ANA library?

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 11:51PM

@RYK said:

@pruebas said:
    Shipping auction catalogs can get real expensive real fast. Those things are heavy!

But putting them into the recycle bin is risky because of who can see them and make assumptions about what might be in the house.

I’m all for saving our resources and all, but to me the safest option is in the trash. And asking the auction houses not to send them anymore.

One thing that I find very sad, and I have noticed it on this forum, is that the “romance” of coins garners very little interest. People do not talk about the origin of the Dahlonega Mint or “the golf shoe coin”. Scanning the thread titles, discussions are about grading, grading companies, stickering, companies that grade and sticker, eBay dust ups, post office guffaws, dealers/collectors getting ripped off, etc. It is like the magic and wonder are gone. :'(

I miss the pre-internet days poring over the latest Coin Word newspaper or Bowers Action Guide and plugging holes in a Dansco. I was out of numismatics for years and eventually got rid of my library. I bought this book recently to try and rekindle some of what was lost and maybe even start an indian cent dansco set. I think though that in the end, it may be as Thomas Wolf said - "You can't go home again."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file