Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picking the good coins, with a little CAC help

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching this BM auction closely. A gold stickered 63 FE 1856? WOW. Is it more associated with a 64+ or a 65? Who wants to risk it? It really looks like a beautiful coin though.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-18C04C/1856-flying-eagle-cent-snow-9-proof-63-pcgs-gold-cac-cmq-x

Doug

Comments

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sharp looking coin, and that CMQ-X certainly adds to the appeal.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2024 4:19AM

@DMWJR said:
    I was watching this BM auction closely. A gold stickered 63 FE 1856? WOW. Is it more associated with a 64+ or a 65? Who wants to risk it? It really looks like a beautiful coin though.

I’ve never bought a gold stickered coin due to the risk you point out in getting it upgraded. Absolutely no doubt it would upgrade to a 64, but it will sell for higher money. My guess is it will sell for around 64+ money, and there’s a good chance it can upgrade to that 64+, but as you say, there’s some risk to that. If I were to buy it, I would absolutely not pay 65 money, even though it might upgrade to a 65. I’d just buy a 65 with a CAC (if one can eventually be found, lol).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin.

Sold $23,400
    Lot Description
    Premium Proof 1856 Flying Eagle Cent

Finest of Just Three Specimens with Gold CAC Approval

1856 Flying Eagle Cent. Snow-9. Proof-63 (PCGS). Gold CAC. CMQ-X.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would love to have a coin like that in my collection, just saying

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Yes it is a nice looking coin! I had no financial interest in it. Someone got a really nice coin for a reasonable price, IMO. Is it possible to submit to PCGS with a min grade of 65? The owner might have tried that a few times and deduced that a gold CAC 63 would be the lower cost / better option than a 64 and a potential for no green bean, and only a 65 would make financial sense.

Doug
  • Options

I’m not saying it should get a 65. It does have 4-5 ticks here and there. But it’s my experience that the coins with “the look” are the ones that get the beans. I’m guessing this would had really good eye appeal.

Doug
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

GREAT coin! Although at this level, I think 2 grade jumps are unusual, if not rare.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin, I think you did well on it too. I was eyeing this one up but I had to keep dry powder for the Heritage auction.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    Lovely coin, I think you did well on it too. I was eyeing this one up but I had to keep dry powder for the Heritage auction.

I didn’t buy it or have a financial interest, or post this until the auction was over. It was most important to me because it is a very important coin in the small cent series, with a gold CAC. That combo is something I haven’t seen before.

Doug
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

Lovely piece

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

Dan, you’re buying copper now!?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 8:55AM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@DeplorableDan said:

If Clark Gruber or Moffat made copper, Dan would back up the truck. :D

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Lol, I've been strongly considering it but then some more gold came up that piqued my interest. There's something about flying eagle cents that's been calling my name though, eventually ill pull the trigger on one.

• Options

So from Gold to Copper, AND from large coins to tiny coins - what have you been "drinking"?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ winesteven

joking... right?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2024 12:58PM

@coinkat said:
    @ winesteven

joking... right?

Yes, my comment was intended to be humorous, due to the potential BIG changes in targeted coins.

Steve

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Lol, I've been strongly considering it but then some more gold came up that piqued my interest. There's something about flying eagle cents that's been calling my name though, eventually I’ll pull the trigger on one.

>
    Okay buddy, if you move out of gold, I’m first up for that Kellogg! Just saying!😉👍

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere I remember reading that a gold sticker means at least one solid/strong point above the grade listed on the holder. If so, then this is at least a 64+, but realistically probably at least a 65-, would it green bean at 65?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file