Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cheerios Cents in Uncut Strips

On eBay, I recently snatched up a "few" uncut strips of Cheerios Cents. More than I want my wife to know about.

The seller said he got them from an online charity auction. He claims he has no other information on them.

I overpaid of course. I live by the rule, "Buy High, Sell Higher."

The good news is some will grade very high. The bad news is to get them graded, I have to cut the strips and I do not see that happening.

Here is a picture of my favorite threesome with the middle showing a reverse.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've never heard of uncut strips

don't remove them from the packaging to submit them

unless they are really high grades, don't submit them, if genuine and common grades, they are worth more as-is

since you are seeing only 1 side, there is risk in grading them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I've heard of these.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 10:27PM

Edited to remove a hasty note written while I was sitting in the parking lot of the school where my daughter teaches waiting to give her a ride home. I was wrong.

A while back there was a strip of 20 on eBay that I bid on because it was a novelty, but I did not chase it. Then when I saw a strip of five I just assumed that the strip of 20 had been broken up. Nobody bid on it, so I made the seller an offer a few hours before the closing time and he accepted it. I have put it in my original Cheerios box that I bought in January of 2000.

I think that the uncut strips are cute, and as no other hoards of them have surfaced in 24 years there are probably no other hoards of them out there. That said, if any uncut strips of the two-coin Dollar and Cent holders turn up from this source, please let me know!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity I looked up the cent on NGC to see if it garnered a Cheerios designation like that of the dollar. https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/819556/2000-cheerios-promotion-1c-ms/ Surprisingly the majority of those submitted fall under MS66 and seem to bring a nice profit. Just saying.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis5151 I have bought 5 indivual cheerios cents for around $15 each. I have sent them to NGC for grading. Howuch did you pay per cent?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    @dennis5151 I have bought 5 indivual cheerios cents for around $15 each. I have sent them to NGC for grading. Howuch did you pay per cent?

Shipping adds a lot to these. I was initially embarressed to pay an average of $21.63 but I see several really clean cents in the roll. Clean enough I can convince myself the price was worth it. Of course, if we look hard enough, we see what we Need to see.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    if any uncut strips of the two-coin Dollar and Cent holders turn up from this source, please let me know!

Considering how few of the dollars have surfaced so far, it would not surprise me!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy them at $10 all day long, and then sell at $5 after my buyers remorse.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2024 4:02PM

What's the reasonable explanation for; where the heck are they all?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

That seems pretty high.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2024 4:27PM

@jmlanzaf said:

The $15 per cent included shipping too. If you check maybe you could get them for less. I did not think $15 was out of line for nice ones.

• Options

A few recent sales.

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@CaptHenway said:
    if any uncut strips of the two-coin Dollar and Cent holders turn up from this source, please let me know!

Considering how few of the dollars have surfaced so far, it would not surprise me!

x
    x
    x
    In 1999, a strip of 40 or so dollars would have been a day's minimum wage. If stolen, they were probally opened and spent on beer instead of milk for the kid's Cheerios.

Roughly 5% of the 5500 have been graded. I think a lot are still in circulation.

The fine detailed tailfeathers are not easily seen with the naked eye. It took years for CaptHenway to discover the variety even existed. Most people still do not know they exist.

The two circulated dollars I have are ANACS graded AU55 and 58. The tailfeather details are not visable to my 71 year old eyes, even with glasses.

Using the cell phone camera with magnification is helpfull if you are searching for these. Here are mine magnified by the cell phone.

• Options

@JWP said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The $15 per cent included shipping too. If you check maybe you could get them for less. I did not think $15 was out of line for nice ones.

I have a bunch of them I bought for $7. I struggled to sell for $12 in ebay, although I haven't tried in a couple years.

• Options

You definitely got a better buy than me. You might find buyers here. I have 3 graded and 3 that I plan to send in for grading. I bought mine on Ebay and that is why I paid a little more. You know, you always get the best quality on the Bay. Ha Ha.

• Options

@JWP said:
    You definitely got a better buy than me. You might find buyers here. I have 3 graded and 3 that I plan to send in for grading. I bought mine on Ebay and that is why I paid a little more. You know, you always get the best quality on the Bay. Ha Ha.

I just checked and they do seem to be going for $13 to $25 on ebay, so you probably did okay. Maybe it's just me. Lol

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file