Options

What are field stripes?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time I heard this term.

Thank you.

Description

1880-S Ten Dollar, MS62 Prooflike
Rare in This Grade, None Certified Finer
1880-S $10 MS62 Prooflike PCGS. Tiny S Mintmark. While 1880-S eagles are relatively plentiful up to the MS62 grade from the large 506,250-piece mintage, prooflike examples are rare. This is a flashy and reflective ten dollar gold that displays moderate contrast between the mirrorlike fields and the central motifs. Full reflectivity is seen between the field stripes. This attractive, orange-gold coin with a sharp strike and only a touch of weakness on the upper hair bun. It is tied for the finest prooflike at PCGS. Population: 2 in 62 Prooflike, 0 finer (2/24).

Heritage Link

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shield stripes?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree they mean "shield stripes" on the reverse.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 9:11AM

Auto-correct strikes again. Not many people proof their wording anymore. They rely on technology to do the work for them.

• Options

Maybe a transcription error from a hand-written description by someone who, while lamenting the demise of the long s, wrote "ſhield".

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@TomB said:

I don't think so. It would have said "field stripes" (_whatever the hell that auction writer is describing _for some imperfection in the fields either caused by the mint or after!) in the shield.

Perhaps there are some "planchet striations" in the field that were not struck out completely.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 9:45AM

Or maybe "In the Fields of the shield stripes" would have been better comprehended.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider3 said:

@TomB said:

I don't think so. It would have said "field stripes" (_whatever the hell that auction writer is describing _for some imperfection in the fields either caused by the mint or after!) in the shield.

Perhaps there are some "planchet striations" in the field that were not struck out completely.

Why can't it mean just "field stripes"? It's the location of the reflectivity not a stripe-like feature.

"Full reflectivity is seen between the shield stripes. "

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Maybe a transcription error from a hand-written description by someone who, while lamenting the demise of the long s, wrote "ſhield".

Wouldn't it then have been "fhield ftripef?

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or perhaps it is multi struck with the first strike off center and the shield visible in the field. Shield stripes in the field = Field Stripes!!!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

Some coins have the bars or stripes of the field clashed on to the obverse under the ear but the writer would have more properly mentioned clash marks and the ear is not "in the field." I stand by my original opinion:

Some type of imperfection in the fields either caused by the mint or after!

• Options

@ms71 said:

@messydesk said:

Wouldn't it then have been "fhield ftripef?

ſhield ſtripes. The terminal s is always written as a round or short s.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2024 12:01PM

OK, found it. The background of a shield can be referred to as its field. It has another name. So the auction is describing the fully P/L surface between the stripes. IMO, It could have been described more correctly so it was more understandable.

• Options

"The surface of the shield (or escutcheon) is the field. This is divided into chief and base (top and bottom), sinister and dexter (left and right, from the viewpoint of the bearer of the shield, so that sinister is on the right of one facing the shield)."

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 11:56AM

@Insider3 said:
    OK, found it. The background of a shield can be referred to as its field. It has another name. So the auction is describing the fully P/L surface between the stripes. IMO, It could have bee described more correctly so it was more understandable.

I don’t think “field” entered into the mind of the cataloguer, that he intended to write “shield” and have emailed him.

Edited to add: Correction has been made and should be reflected in the description later today.
    @Goldbully, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gules

gules (uncountable)

(heraldry) Red, e.g. on a coat of arms, typically represented in engraving by vertical parallel lines.
    gules:

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Insider3 said:
    OK, found it. The background of a shield can be referred to as its field. It has another name. So the auction is describing the fully P/L surface between the stripes. IMO, It could have bee described more correctly so it was more understandable.

I don’t think “field” entered into the mind of the cataloguer, that he intended to write “shield” and have emailed him.

Edited to add: Correction has been made and should be reflected in the description later today.
    @Goldbully, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Ain't the Internet wonderful! :)

• Options

@FrankH said:
    Gules

gules (uncountable)

(heraldry) Red, e.g. on a coat of arms, typically represented in engraving by vertical parallel lines.
    gules:

In this case, the reflectivity cited was in the argent parts of the shield.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

All better now........😊

• Options
    edited March 22, 2024 6:34PM

@Goldbully said:
    All better now........😊

Yup, although I was really hoping for a return of the long s. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file