Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you're new to the forums and have questions about your pocket change, start here.

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coins are worth face value.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your thread title should say "If you're new to the forums and have questions about your pocket change, start here. And end here.
    ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 5:00AM

PUT THE TITLE IN BOLD CAPS with lots of flame emojis, exclamation marks, >:)o:)<3 !!!!, and send it to the top hourly.
    Add the word “rare” before pocket.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

What’s the best microscope to examine my roadkill with?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

And add “And if you are in alt trolling us, please post it on the NGC forum, not here!”

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@goodmoney4badmoney said:

@Walkerguy21D said:
    And add “And if you are in alt trolling us, please post it on the NGC forum, not here!”

Too many additional words to avoid reading.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really!!!

There are many valuable coins in pocket change and a few extremely valuable coins.

Do we really want a thread telling people who might become collectors that the unusual coin they found is worthless just because it was in pocket change. It was worthless at the time but one of my most valuable coins was received in change at the East Chicago BMV in 1982. I've found many coins, most circulated, that sold for several dollars.

It seems to me that if there were no valuable coins in circulation it would be in our best interests to pretend there were anyway.

Oh, and that 1982 coin... ...it is worth thousands of dollars. This may be chump change to many here but this is exactly the sort of success that might launch someone on a life long hobby.

I certainly agree that seeking valuable coins in literal pocket change is probably going to be a waste of time financially BUT there are many very valuable lessons to learn from the quest.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did it take 20 years to think of this thread?

Agree with CK... encourage newbies.

Sticky a serious cliff note version thread of how to identify pocket change.

Though I think 98.6% of such threads are created by one or two trolls.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited March 21, 2024 7:09AM

@cladking, of course we don’t want to throw out the the good with the bad. But, all the dashed dreams fatigue me. The refusal to hear logic puts me in parody mode.

The problem with many of the questions that these guys who post the first coin that they look at closely is that rarely does someone answer the question from the start. Understand the question separately from the feelings of disgust that rise. Answer it. Save the disgust for when they show the southside.

Just answer the questions, leave the judgements.

Suggestion to members if you want new members to stick around:

Stop asking the question: “What makes you think that this coin is valuable?”
    It’s a rhetorical question that tilts toward humiliation if you know an answer and do not give it.

When I was asked that question ATC and here, I felt belittled by people who felt superior. I was ashamed to say what I thought that it was at that point.

If you are a seller, you’re wrong not to nurture them into your fold. I buy from the guys who treated me well.
    Now, some of these dudes are incorrigible. That’s when Dr. Hyde comes out.

• Options

@Fraz said:
    @cladking, of course we don’t want to throw out the the good with the bad. But, all the dashed dreams fatigue me. The refusal to hear logic puts me in parody mode.

The problem with many of the questions that these guys who post the first coin that they look at closely is that rarely does someone answer the question from the start. Understand the question separately from the feelings of disgust that rise. Answer it. Save the disgust for when they show the southside.

It’s a rhetorical question that tilts toward humiliation if you know an answer and do not give it.

When I was asked that question ATC and here, I felt belittled by people who felt superior. I was ashamed to say what I thought that it was at that point.

If you are a seller, you’re wrong not to nurture them into your fold. I buy from the guys who treated me well.

I don't disagree. I tend to avoid most of the threads like this but I think that if we just let them down easy and gave them our best opinion and then tried harder to ignore pleas for support it might be more effective. Some of these threads are a little embarrassing so I don't even always read them.

I'm sure there's no real "solution" because some people get it in their minds that they have a valuable coin and we're just spoil sports.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally treat those threads with the level of seriousness they deserve.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG
    My new peace dollar has a V in UnUm!
    OMG, I know it’s worth millions!

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Know the signs. It's never too late to talk to your children about PMD.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    Really!!!

There are many valuable coins in pocket change and a few extremely valuable coins.

Do we really want a thread telling people who might become collectors that the unusual coin they found is worthless just because it was in pocket change. It was worthless at the time but one of my most valuable coins was received in change at the East Chicago BMV in 1982. I've found many coins, most circulated, that sold for several dollars.

It seems to me that if there were no valuable coins in circulation it would be in our best interests to pretend there were anyway.

Oh, and that 1982 coin... ...it is worth thousands of dollars. This may be chump change to many here but this is exactly the sort of success that might launch someone on a life long hobby.

I certainly agree that seeking valuable coins in literal pocket change is probably going to be a waste of time financially BUT there are many very valuable lessons to learn from the quest.

Yes, but you have research in your corner. 99.99% of the newbee posts do not. When their first post is asking about pocket change with 15 blurry photos they are not serious. How about your first post be; "hello, new here, I just recently got into coins and I still have a lot to learn. My main interest is in (insert coin series here). Thanks in advance for any questions I may have"

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:

So you are telling CRHers to knock it off?

• Options

@Fraz said:

While you could take the question any way you want, there's no reason why "why do you think the coin is valuable?" needs to be intended that way. Many times, it is a necessary question when someone posts a coin picture with the question "is this something?" Or another similarly non-specific question. Without clarification, we don't even know where to look on the coin.

• Options

@relicsncoins said:

@cladking said:
    Really!!!

Yes, but you have research in your corner. 99.99% of the newbee posts do not. When their first post is asking about pocket change with 15 blurry photos they are not serious. How about your first post be; "hello, new here, I just recently got into coins and I still have a lot to learn. My main interest is in (insert coin series here). Thanks in advance for any questions I may have"

That is more words than any young ig user is going to use. My students send me short, blunt questions all the time. Yes, it sometimes sounds rude to my old ears, but it is generational.

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:

Just about any optical zoom. Small, inexpensive, digital scopes are getting better but I won't use them yet.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

While you could take the question any way you want, there's no reason why "why do you think the coin is valuable?" needs to be intended that way. Many times, it is a necessary question when someone posts a coin picture with the question "is this something?" Or another similarly non-specific question. Without clarification, we don't even know where to look on the coin.

I was not clear—not disputing you, it should not be the first reply that a poster meets. Your initial responses to new members are models.

No. I fail to see what the post hints at, but thank you for your confidence in the expertise and experience at hand in this forum.

Why complicate a yes-no question?
    “No, the coin shows no sign of being a doubled die.”
    “No, the coin is common.”
    “No. Do not submit the coin for grading.”
    “No, that is a scratch.”

Let OP ask why. Let another member take the question.

If you don’t want to be genuine, do not be one of the first to reply, wait to see which way the wind blows.
    I do not want a new member who manages to survive here, to remember my first post in his first thread as prickish.
    My guilt? Stupid usernames and default avatars set me off; I have to stop, go outside for a smoke.

• Options

@relicsncoins said:

@cladking said:
    Really!!!

The search engines suck and get worse every day. If I were a newbee with a million dollar find I'd hardly know where to start but any young person can spend a couple minutes to post a picture on a site of presumptive experts.

I suspect more than half of these new found millionaires are sincere. I'm merely suggesting we should act as though they all are rather than trying to separate them. I'm also suggesting we spend too much time on most of them when they complain that we just want their treasure for nothing.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@Fraz said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I was not clear—not disputing you, it should not be the first reply that a poster meets. Your initial responses to new members are models.

No. I fail to see what the post hints at, but thank you for your confidence in the expertise and experience at hand in this forum.

Why complicate a yes-no question?
    “No, the coin shows no sign of being a doubled die.”
    “No, the coin is common.”
    “No. Do not submit the coin for grading.”
    “No, that is a scratch.”

Let OP ask why. Let another member take the question.

If you don’t want to be genuine, do not be one of the first to reply, wait to see which way the wind blows.
    I do not want a new member who manages to survive here, to remember my first post in his first thread as prickish.
    My guilt? Stupid usernames and default avatars set me off; I have to stop, go outside for a smoke.

I don't disagree, IF a specific question was asked. But when someone posts pictures and says "is this anything?" or "is this valuable?" or "what's this worth?", asking them why they think it is worth more than face value is a NECESSARY question or your just guessing at what you think they see.

• Options

If the answer were a certain no, then why do I care what OP sees, unless I seek entertainment?

• Options
    edited March 22, 2024 7:11AM

Oops

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

So these coins that I found in a parking lot after running them over a few times are not rare errors???? 😭😭😭

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the wheat back (the rest not so much)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto said:
    So these coins that I found in a parking lot after running them over a few times are not rare errors???? 😭😭😭

You're holding your coins wrong. Only hold them by the edge. That is to avoid knocking any of the parking lot residue off them. :*

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@relicsncoins said:

No. Pocket change comes from cash register tills while rolls come from banks. Everyone knows store clerks take all the good stuff.

But on a less unserious note, usually, CWR searchers have a better idea of what to look for. We did have a new member who got several rolls from his bank and thought every other coin from them was a rarity, but generally CWR searchers are at least a little more informed (sometimes).

• Options

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@relicsncoins said:

No. Pocket change comes from cash register tills while rolls come from banks. Everyone knows store clerks take all the good stuff.

But on a less unserious note, usually, CWR searchers have a better idea of what to look for. We did have a new member who got several rolls from his bank and thought every other coin from them was a rarity, but generally CWR searchers are at least a little more informed (sometimes).

Which is why the OP's "your coins are worth face value" is rude and silly. The same coin found in a roll could be found in your pocket.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 2:52PM

@hfjacinto, when you are ready to sell I'll add them to my holdings.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2024 1:43PM

I get frustrated when new CRH hunters constantly post junk coins.

Most CRH that post regularly have a skill set and know what they are doing.

Newbs?

Why ruin your eyesight when all the work has been done for them.

Get the newbie starter kit!

The minimal expense of a proof or mint set for CRH comparison purposes should be encouraged.
    A magnifying glass
    A loupe
    CPG (or Variety Vista)
    Ebay account
    Pay Pal Account

Happy Hunting!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file