Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grant for Numismatics

Em7Em7 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I do not know many people who share my love of coins, so I thought I would share my exciting news here.

I was informed that my grant application was approved to create a numismatics program in my school.🙂

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific good for you !

Now tell us what kind of numismatic program your going to develop with that grant money 🤓

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, what type of program are you thinking about? What grade level? Do you have a number of students showing interest? We need more young blood in the hobby - always good to hear things like this.

Mark

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Congratulations!
    The first thing I thought of though when I read your thread title...

Me too. Nice coin, nice color.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool and exciting

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

A worthwhile endeavor. Good luck.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the more interesting posts. A boon for our hobby. Thank you for your endeavor. Perhaps it will encourage more teachers to follow in this and grow into a wonderful educational benefit for all. Good luck. Should you need any coins for examples give us a shout out. I know I would be willing to donate to your cause. Maybe make a holder with a sample coin of each denomination.
    Just an opinion. Amazing what can still be gotten from pocket change.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Thank you so much @jesbroken, I really appreciate it. A holder displaying each denomination is a good idea- especially for the younger students. I have so many ideas for fun and interactive lessons. Once the program starts next year I will have to give an update. As for this year, I will be testing out some ideas during National Coin Week. The kids are really excited about celebrating next month and my colleagues have been very supportive.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Perhaps your school could form a coin club assuming there was enough interest.

I wish this was a possibility but as of right now, my district does not have clubs on the elementary level.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you get started you may try and reach out to some of the members here. There are a number of well respected coin hobby people on this forum. I wonder if some may be willing to do a couple short videos for your group. Many have worked at the third party grading companies, auction houses or become well respected coin dealers for decades. I bet many of those members feel as I do... we want more young coin enthusiasts to come to the hobby.

Me? I'm just a lowly coin collector.

Mark

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

If the school can"t sanction a club, maybe through a local church or perhaps a local scout organization. As I recall, the scouts have/had a coin collecting merit badge.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 12:43PM

Coingratulations! I started a "Collectors Club" in my school (middle school) last year as part of our SEL (all teachers were required to sponsor a club). It was great the first semester of the year; we had kids bringing in things every meeting and then when the 2nd semester rolled around, it kind of fizzled (the kids would "forget", even though it was announced every day for the week prior). This year, I gave it another try and it lasted about 3 meetings before the kids just stopped participating.

I wish you luck with yours!

imageimage

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll second the comments by @jesbroken and ask you to let us know if you need our support. I can imagine gifting the kids each a V- nickel or Buffalo nickel and using it as a jumping off point for some history lesson. I know that this forum is teeming with generous people who will provide you with the coins you need.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

sounds great, good luck, might I suggest a few topics... telemarketing to seniors, the crackout game, to CAC or not to CAC, winning dramatic coin forum arguments, and so on

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Em7 said:
    Thanks! This would be for intermediate elementary students. My plan would be to introduce them to the basics of coin collecting in the beginning. The remaining program lessons would focus on connecting coins to the current social studies curriculum.

There are definitely students interested. I always have coins on display in my classroom that the kids love to look at and discuss. Many of them bring in their coins (mostly world modern coins) to share with me.

Good luck with this. Most of the kids could care little about any history lesson and more about the "coolness" factor.
    History and coins comes much later in life. At this age it is the hunt in Mom and Dads pocket change and register change that takes precident.
    I started collecting at age 9 and history and coins came some 30 years later. Didn't give a hoot about the history but sure did about the collecting part of the hobby.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Just want to say thank you to everyone’s input and comments.

Thank you at @CommemDude, I really do appreciate it.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:
    Interesting, what type of program are you thinking about? What grade level? Do you have a number of students showing interest? We need more young blood in the hobby - always good to hear things like this.

Mark

Grade Level ?
    More young in the hobby ?
    The first thing that entered my thoughts on these 2 factors might be this one constant.
    High school seniors, spread out, after graduating, with their new found knowledge.
    Kinda deep huh ?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a "roll hunt" competition for the class? Oldest coin found? Rarest found? First to complete a decade or album?Kids have better eyes and once they know what to look for the sky would be the limit!

My last 2 boxes of nickels yielded lots of fun stuff. Couple of canadian nickels, a war nickel and a pair of buffalo nickels.

• Options

I love this idea @erwindoc and I can add coin-related prizes for kids who win each category.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file