Home Sports Talk
Options

received an above-average email today

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm also going to find time to slide into a nearby Hooters where Long John Daly camps out all day long from Sunday to Sunday of Masters week. i'm gonna buy him a beer and get his John Hancock on something. will include piccies in my Masters recap.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

now that is an above average mail day.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, Masters is in high blower. I live about 80 miles away, between Atlanta and Augusta. Never been a big golf fan, but I do watch with amazement at how they can smack the crap out of the golf ball and it somehow ends up pretty close to the flag.
    BTW, if you ever go and need accomodations, they recently built a new Holiday Inn Express and a Tru by Hilton, there's also a new chic-fil-a, Taco Bell, Burger King and the BIG HIT is a recently opened Longhorn Steakhouse...all are about a half mile off I-20 at x 130. Easy 1 hr + ride to the golf mecca.

Heard a story once...a dad (who had season Master tickets), and his son were going to the Masters one year. As it happens, the dad couldn't go, so the son got to invite his friend. So, they're at the event and the invitee had to pee...he decides to go behind some azalea bushes and gets caught by what I guess were the Masters police. They are ejected immediately and the father's tickets are no more as he is banned from the course. Can't add the source, but that had to be a very painful conversation with dad!!! OUCH!!

That story is right up there with a story about a guy who bought his wife a brand new 1954 corvette. After a while she didn't like riding in the car, so he encased it in bricks. Who would believe such a story??? The attached proves it was TRUE!!!

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020/07/19/pics-1954-entombed-corvette-now-on-display-at-the-national-corvette-museum/

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!

I'm looking forward to the mural of pictures I know you will post up!!!!

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 2:17PM

I have been to every Major & the US Ryder Cup.

Nothing & I mean nothing compares to The Masters & Augusta National Golf Club. One does not have to like golf - you can even despise it - and not walk away having the time of your life.

In fact, I've been all 7 days of the week but not since 2011 since it's increasingly difficult to win the lottery.

In college, we drove over from Macon on a whim decision Sunday night to buy tickets at the gate for practice round on Monday - no more.

Send me a PM if you want some tips on do and don't do when you make a day of it & my biggest recommendation is to maximize your time - get there when they open and stick around until the end.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Every golf fan needs to experience it once
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@estang had no idea you were such a golf aficionado. love it. this is my 3rd trip to ANGC, but i appreciate you brother. if you want anything from the merch shop, let me know and i'll try to accommodate you. last year i went with a budget and i think it was blown out of the water within 30 minutes.

i gave a write-up and included pictures after my trip last year (and i did so for my first one back in 2014), and i'll do the same this year when i get back to Texas. when people ask me what Augusta National is like, i say it's as close as you'll get to experiencing Heaven while on Earth. it's unlike any place you'll ever set foot in. from the aesthetics to the way employees treat you to what you pay for food & drink (you can throw down like a king for 10 bucks), it is highly unique in every respect. i'll never forget back in '14 when i went to the bathroom for the first time. i walked in and standing in front of me holding a stall door open was a nattily dressed employee of the club who greeted me with a smile and asked how my day was going. when i got inside and closed the door i remember thinking to myself, "where am i?"

@MCMLVTopps i was reading your story and when i got to "had to pee.......decided to go behind some azalea bushes," i cringed. because i knew what was coming next. that is the epitome of dumb. act a fool on those hallowed grounds and you will be caught..........and you'll be dragged out by your ear...........and you'll never return again in your life. and that may be the lightest slap on the wrist you'll receive. if you have some free time and would love some really good reading fodder, check out this story. back in 2012 this dude did something seemingly less injurious than taking a leak on a flowering shrub, but the ramifications of his actions were far greater. this guy's life was turned upside down. what did he attempt to do, you may ask? tried to take home some sand from a bunker.

https://brobible.com/culture/article/augusta-golf-sand-man-arrested-stealing-sand/

my offer to estang also applies to anyone who is reading this. if you're interested in something from the golf tournament (e.g., a hat or a flag), i'll do my very best to honor your request. holla at your boy in private.