Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best course of action? Looking for advice, and opinions

I have 2 original unopened US mint rolls of 2009 presidency penny’s one minted in Philly, and one in Denver. I have them sealed inside of plastic coin tubes. Do you guys think I would make more money off the rolls by holding onto them and selling them in the distant future? Or would I make more money off of opening them both and getting them all graded and hold onto all of them and then sell them individually in the distant future?

Thank you guys for your time and your help!

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have 100 Lincoln’s graded. That would be very expensive and likely not pay off.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you have bulk submission ability I would hold or sell the rolls as is.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I see some graded pennys on eBay without errors sold for over $100 recently. So I didn’t know if the cost of grading would be worth it or not

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your quest.
    Your photography is among the best, by the way.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joshu44jones said:
    I see some graded pennys on eBay without errors sold for over $100 recently. So I didn’t know if the cost of grading would be worth it or not

You'd have to make 67RD to be worth grading. Odds are, none of them in the roll are 67.

Here's the current pop report.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know what it will cost to have all of these graded? Not only would it be a big waste of money, it would also be a waste of big money.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2024 7:22PM

The mistake many people make is in thinking that coins from a new roll must be high grade. They are often/usually not particularly high grade.

If those rolls have any value above face, it's in their current form. But shipping fees would negate any profit.

If you want to search them for (unlikely) errors, then once the rolls are opened they are just spenders.

• Options

Thank you guys for your input!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be aware also, just because someone is asking $100 doesn't mean they are selling for that much. The only ones I seen selling around those prices are NGC MS69 coins. It would be rare to find MS69 coins in rolls.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file