Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fix for Rawlings MLB stained baseballs

Suggestion to copy over from other Forum.

Have several signed baseballs that developed stains/spots over the years. Read there was an issue with the balls made in Haiti that did not use filtered water in the process and the hard water 'bled' through the ball. Has anyone tried a method to try and spot treat such balls. Thought about a bleach solution but don't want to ruin the balls and the stain is coming from within, not something started from the cover.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any remedy for this

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of any restoration methods but I'd love to learn about any.

I don't know the manufacturing history so I don't know when/where the locations were exactly, but I know that spotting and toning has been a concern all along.

The challenges to a ball staying clean are many: the leather tanning process, the dyeing process, the glues used under the leather, etc.

As far as I am concerned, a baseball (even/especially a Rawlings Official Major League Baseball) can be a ticking time-bomb. You just don't know up front what will happen.

I bought a supply of ROMLBs several years ago. I figure if they age for a few years without issues then they are probably OK.