Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quality Control in Action!!

liquidating_my_youthliquidating_my_youth Posts: 13

Getting a card edge stuck under one of those things doesn't damage it.

Right?

Right???

And yes, it's a PSA 10, or at least it was before it went in the holder...

Comments

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

This is confusing. So I suppose you’re right.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

I would say, WRONG, it can damage it. Basically one half of the slab is flat and the other side has the rails, so from very slight imperfections to minuscule warping of the slab, space can be created to where the card could slip/slide "under" the rail. If you were to apply pressure over the rail, I would surmise an imprint dent could materialize. Just tap it to move the card out of the jam without squeezing.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    I would say, WRONG, it can damage it. Basically one half of the slab is flat and the other side has the rails, so from very slight imperfections to minuscule warping of the slab, space can be created to where the card could slip/slide "under" the rail. If you were to apply pressure over the rail, I would surmise an imprint dent could materialize. Just tap it to move the card out of the jam without squeezing.

The subtle point I was making here is that there isn’t enough information to render a useful opinion.

The statement that this card was “a PSA 10” isn’t providing clarity either. A PSA 10 means that the card which was graded as a PSA 10 is in a slab with a label that says PSA 10. Whether something is or is not a PSA 10 isn’t subjective. If this card was in a slab with a PSA 10 label why was it removed? The slab in the image isn’t a PSA 10 slab that I’m familiar with.

Can a card get damaged in a slab? Yes
    Is the card in the image damaged by the slab? I can’t be sure. It will depend on the construction of that particular slab. With PSA slabs, which use injection moulding, the variance is measured in microns.