Home Metal Detecting
Options

My finds to date - 2024 [Easter Update]

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2024 4:55PM in Metal Detecting

Went out in the high 30’s with a bit of blowing snow this morning. Hit an old field/park in Western Michigans campus which was the old site of street fairs and major gathering. Last time out I found a seated dime. Today a bunch of clad and this silver ring in the way back to the car along the area closest the street. Will hit that whole stretch next time.

And here is the Seated Dime for completeness

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like that ring for sure, congrats on it all

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2024 11:53AM

Brings back good memories of what got me started collecting the movie Goonies and just having fun!!! Treasure hunting is such a cool hobby!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Great finds Boosibri! Didn't know you were a fellow detectorist. Sounds like a nice spot you have there.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2024 6:06PM

I hit this spot today… old baseball field where Post cereal company and Kellogg teams played semi-pro in the early 1900’s. Ruth and Gehrig played on this field.

No silver today…three wheat Pennie’s at least confirms it’s not been searched over. I check the area which would have been under the visitor bleachers. Only searched a fraction of the space and I’m sure there is silver there.

It was odd…my normal consistent equinox 800 was giving me higher conductivity numbers for clad dimes (26-27’s), same for wheat cents (23-25). So many times I figured I had to have silver only to pull a late 60’s quarter or dime.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2024 7:04PM

I went back to the large park where I found the seated dime and silver ring and decided to hunt the strip closest to the fence and road.

First hole…wheat penny. Second hole…Barber half! And a 1902-S a better date too! Unlikely that an S mint coin would end up in Michigan?

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hunting the perimeter of a hard hunted site is often productive. Most people head straight for the middle.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! Great find, B! Half dollars were seldom dropped and left back in the day, so finding a silver one, let alone a Barber, is quite the find.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find B… you’re killing it!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

You're finding some good stuff this year, two Seated plus a Barber half. Based on the wear, I wonder when that 1856 quarter was dropped. I would think 1890s; but, it's also possible that some desperate person reintroduced it to circulation during the 1930s Depression. My grandfather told me that he pulled half dimes out of circulation in the 1930s, and 1873 was the last year that half dimes were minted.

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

Great finds B