Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for PCGS

Unfortunately it looks like you would have to have the 1909-S VDB graded by PCGS or NGC before we would be able to appraise your collection.

Why would someone from Coinfully say this. Now mind you, I know nothing about coins. I inherited a coin collection and it's sincere: I cannot figure why they can not give me an appraisal without and with? What's the reasoning? Help me understand please.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 10:16PM

@nucmanchh said:
    Unfortunately it looks like you would have to have the 1909-S VDB graded by PCGS or NGC before we would be able to appraise your collection.

Why would someone from Coinfully say this. Now mind you, I know nothing about coins. I inherited a coin collection and it's sincere: I cannot figure why they can not give me an appraisal without and with? What's the reasoning? Help me understand please.

I think I understand what you’re asking.

If someone is asked to appraise a collection that includes a potentially valuable 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent, the reason they would first want that coin evaluated by a reputable firm like PCGS or NGC is for THREE VERY important reasons:

1. That coin is very frequently altered by artificially adding the mint mark “S” to a real 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent (the ones made in the Philadelphia Mint, which are much more common than the ones made in the San Francisco Mint, which have the legitimate “S” mint mark). While it’s extremely unlikely the person you inherited the coins from did the altering, it’s quite possible the coin he/she bought had indeed been altered. In addition to grading the coin, for no additional charge, PCGS and NGC will also authenticate the coin, and they stand behind their guarantee financially.
    2. Assuming PCGS or NGC finds the coin is indeed an authentic 1909-S VDB, they then determine if the coin has undergone any type of “adverse cleaning”. If it has, the value is greatly reduced compared to one in the same grade condition that has not been cleaned improperly.
    3. Assuming they determine the coin has not been improperly cleaned, they then will assign a grade and color to the coin. The three color designations are Brown (BN), Red-Brown (RB), and Red (RD). Sometimes it’s a close call, and the difference in grade number and color designation can have a significant difference in value.

Good luck, and if you have it authenticated and graded, let us know the result.

In the meantime, IF (and only if) you can provide excellent quality photos of the front and back of the coin that are each real sharp, several of the people on this forum have the talent to not only share their opinion of its authenticity, but also come very close to its grade. But as noted, that can happen only if you provide excellent quality photos of each side.

I hope you found this helpful.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

This question isn't so much for PCGS, but rather for the numismatic marketplace. PCGS and NGC has the broadest and deepest market acceptance of any third party grader (TPG), though the newly formed CACG appears well on its way to joining them. Whomever is appraising the collection might realize that the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent is one of the most heavily counterfeited and altered coins in all of US numismatics and, as such, they might want the coin in a PCGS or NGC holder so they know it is real. Also, the grade of the coin will heavily influence the price and, again, PCGS and NGC (along with CACG) are the most respected services to give the most accurate grade.

If you have more questions then I strongly advise you to go to the US Coin Forum and ask them there. You will get much more help. Good luck!

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson