Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is this? an 8 Reales made in copper?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I have very little experience in world coins, so can use some info here for my knowledge. Found this in a box of tokens; appears to be an eight Reales coin by the little design left.... but appears to be copper instead of silver? It is a large size, larger than a silver dollar.

I recognize what appears to be the pillars on the back, and of course what remains of the bust; there are a few hints of letters here and there but I cannot make any of them out.

So my questions.... is this an 8 reales coin? If so, when did they make them in copper? If not an 8 reales, then any info on what it is? A counterfeit? And yes... I am certainly aware of it's horrible condition... but for a junk box price, found it to be interesting enough to purchase. And it certainly seems to have seen much use! Thanks for any info!

----- kj

Comments

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Yup, worn out contemporary counterfeit 8R. Bust of Charles IIII.

Note the reverse (pillars side) pic is upside down.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks realeswatcher. And to show how little I know about these world coins.... was not even sure which side should be up on the reverse! Always more to learn!

----- kj
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably once silver plated, just a hint of grey is left here and there.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.