Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PIeces of 8 authentication?

Any idea if this is authentic? Sorry, realized I should have taken a picture of the profile. From my father in law's collection.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 2:14PM

Can you take better pics? From what I can see offhand it doesn’t look too bad, but it’s easy to hide stuff with the corroded surfaces. The figures on the shield look a little thin though.

If legit, it’s probably a sea recovery

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Mexico, 4-digit 1714 date... From the dimension of the detail, should be an 8 Reales, less possibly a 4R. Do we have a weight to the 0.1 gram and/or length x width in mm? Presumably a piece that's been sitting for some years so almost certainly from the 1715 Fleet or a replica thereof.

ALWAYS should be especially wary of fully-dated shield-style pieces, as these are often the ones selected as models for replicas. In this case, there's nothing that immediately screams "cast" about it. Also, I've never seen a matching "twin".

realized I should have taken a picture of the profile

What did you mean by this exactly?

• Options

I meant the side profile.

• Options

Thank you. Any idea of a value? I realize it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but a range?? Thank you.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 11:38PM

If it’s authentic, $300-$400 range I would think, because it carries a date.