Home Q & A Forum
Options

Should I open US Mint wrapped rolls and send the best coins to be graded?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 US mint wrapped rolls of 2005 Bison (West Ward Journey Series) and 2 rolls of 2012-S ATB Quarters that I don't seem to be able to sell. Do I open each roll and find the best and send a few to be graded. It looks like if I could find some hgih grade MS coins in the rolls, I might be better off getting them graded and might come out OK even after paying the grading fees. Let me know what you think. The 4 rolls are still un-opened and might stay that way until I decide what to do. Thanks in advane for your thoughts. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options

If I send them they will be graded MS and not PF. Thanks for the input

• Options

Thanks for the info.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 1:46AM Answer ✓

@sellitstore said:
    Proof and MS (business strikes) are methods of manufacture, not grades. There are different grades of preservation for each. Your nickels are all going to be graded MS(something) while the quarters will all be graded PF(something). The nickels are business strikes which use the MS designation for coins never circulated and the quarters are proofs, made in smaller numbers than the business strikes. The proofs have mirror surfaces and no bagmarks as they are struck to a higher standard from polished blanks and handled more carefully than business strikes made for general circulation.

What??

His quarters are MS. The mint does not sell rolls of proof coins.

Perhaps you were confused by the (PR) on one of the quarter rolls? It stands for Puerto Rico.

• Options

Thanks for your comments. The end coins in all 4 of these rolls are starter to tone and look even nicer in hand.

Answers

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not.

The PCGS price guide for a perfect PF70 2012S quarter is $24. You run into a similar problem with the others, too. They just aren't worth enough in high grades to justify the fees.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof and MS (business strikes) are methods of manufacture, not grades. There are different grades of preservation for each. Your nickels are all going to be graded MS(something) while the quarters will all be graded PF(something). The nickels are business strikes which use the MS designation for coins never circulated and the quarters are proofs, made in smaller numbers than the business strikes. The proofs have mirror surfaces and no bagmarks as they are struck to a higher standard from polished blanks and handled more carefully than business strikes made for general circulation.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.