Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there a way to tell approximately when a card was graded based on number?

mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

40039848 is the number. Trying to remember when I got it and was hoping when it was graded
Would help narrow it down.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

Comments

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

generally yes. They started at 1 and have been moving up since. Not always though because I have cards starting with 8 that I acquired years ago. I am kind of curious what they are going to do when they run out of numbers. Will they start inserting letters?

Matt

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    40039848 is the number. Trying to remember when I got it and was hoping when it was graded

I’m pretty sure that is a very old grade. Early grades used different groups of cert numbers for different types of submissions, so you would simultaneously see certs like 30…,40…,50…,etc.

Once they started going In numerical order, they simply skipped the certs that had already been used. So 40…is old, while 41… is a lot more recent.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

You may have more luck by looking at the style of label in the case and markings on the case to determine the date.

Check out the History of the PSA Label link in my signature for all the details.

• Options

Thank you. Looks like I will have to dig it back out to see the back and the case itself.

In my memory, I thought I had bought the card in the very late 80s when I was in San Diego, but clearly PSA wasn’t around then. That makes me think then, that it would not have been at least until I discovered eBay in 1998 or sometime later. The card could have been graded much earlier than my purchase, of course, but now I have no clue as to when that was.

Really makes me wonder now. I wish I had kept records and this further reminds me that my memory isn’t always telling me the truth..

@NGS428 said:

@mrmopar said:

You may have more luck by looking at the style of label in the case and markings on the case to determine the date.

Check out the History of the PSA Label link in my signature for all the details.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

400XXX was used many years ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Thank you all for trying to help. I realize this was a log time ago, as I have had the card for a while. I learned that it was AT LEAST 1991, as PSA didn't exist before then. That is probably common knowledge to most on this site, but to someone who cares very little about the whole grading process, I either didn't know or it wasn't a fact my brain chose to retain.

The card in question is a 1948/49 Leaf Jackie Robinson. I was just trying to pinpoint when I bought it. It has seen much growth in value since, but me thinking that I bought it in the 80s also has me questioning my memory that I paid around $500 for it. Maybe that is wrong too. Pinpointing the year might help me determine what the going rate was then.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    Thank you all for trying to help. I realize this was a log time ago, as I have had the card for a while. I learned that it was AT LEAST 1991, as PSA didn't exist before then. That is probably common knowledge to most on this site, but to someone who cares very little about the whole grading process, I either didn't know or it wasn't a fact my brain chose to retain.

The card in question is a 1948/49 Leaf Jackie Robinson. I was just trying to pinpoint when I bought it. It has seen much growth in value since, but me thinking that I bought it in the 80s also has me questioning my memory that I paid around $500 for it. Maybe that is wrong too. Pinpointing the year might help me determine what the going rate was then.

If you could post a quality picture or scan of the front and back of the slab that would help.

• Options

I'll dig it back out shortly. It's buried momentarily.