Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photoshop Help, Please

labloverlablover Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 11, 2024 3:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, this old guy can't remember poop.

Gave up Photoshop years ago and now can't remember how to merge an Obverse and Reverse image into one image...like a TrueView. I setup a trial basis to use Photoshop just to merge a few images.

Anyone kind enough to show this old dog how?

Lablover

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you make a canvas the size you want
    Make two layers
    The front one transparent.
    But I don’t even have a computer now so someone else probably knows better.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

@lcoopie said:
    I believe you make a canvas the size you want
    Make two layers
    The front one transparent.
    But I don’t even have a computer now so someone else probably knows better.

Maybe we should start with How to Open Photoshop first...LOL ;)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to post an obverse and reverse you want together I'll try working on it and perhaps at least get you closer to the end result your looking for.

• Options

Make one rectangular canvas
    Paste each image on the same layer.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

I asked ChatGPT for you.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try to help. If you want to send me a PM with the pictures, I'll respond with the desired result. Otherwise, here are some instructions.

File > New
    Set Width and Height as desired, width will need to be at least twice the value of the Height. This will be your Canvas.

File > Open (to open the original images in Photoshop. Do this step for each image).

Using the Move Tool, click and drag the obverse image to the left side of the blank Canvas. Resize and Crop as desired.

Repeat for the reverse image, dragging that to the right side of the Canvas. Resize and Crop as desired again.

File > Save As, and select your choice of file (.pdf, .jpg, .png, .tiff, etc.)

Good luck!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 4:04PM

So, created a canvas and added the Obverse image. So how do I now get the Rev on this here canvas?

• Options

Thanks to all who are willing to do the merge for me, but I need to do it myself. That way this old dog learns. I'm a hands-on learner...but it's getting harder in my 70's.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    So, created a canvas and added the Obverse image. So how do I now get the Rev on this here canvas?

Copy your rev image then go to your combined canvas and paste the rev in. Then use the move tool to move the rev image to where you want it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

That’s a nice coin.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting
    I always have sized the image in Photoshop then combined them tge two in Paint
    This would save a step

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2024 4:54PM

If you already have circular cropped images of your coins, it’s real easy to use photoshop express to put them side by side. I do this on my iPad or iPhone using the “collage” tool. Just click on collage

Then pick the 2 images you want to put side by side

Then pick grid G2

Then you can click “border” and pick white so it’s solid white

And you can also add text and save your image like I did with this one

Mr_Spud

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were using IrfanView (free software on Windows),
    you open each photo separately,
    use Ctrl-C to copy the right photo,
    then go to the left photo and use Edit / Paste Special to add the second photo on the right.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you were following my instructions from earlier and then got stuck with the second image, remember to do File > Open to open that reverse image in Photoshop. Since you are using a newer version of the program, you may take an alternate step once you open the reverse image.

Use the circular marquee tool to create a circular "cut out", do Edit > Copy, then go back to your original Canvas, do Edit > Paste, and then Resize and Move the reverse image to desired position alongside the obverse.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    Thanks to all who are willing to do the merge for me, but I need to do it myself. That way this old dog learns. I'm a hands-on learner...but it's getting harder in my 70's.

This program was created as the precurser to photoshop. (1980 or 90's).
    It's very simple to navigate. Once you learn the basic terms, cut, copy, paste, format with dpi, and save as, your on your way.
    I think because of being the first program for a digital camera, and the general public it had to be that simple.
    Two printing companies, two owners, both over 70 yrs., doing high end work, had to learn how to do, just what your doing,
    or close up. You could say, they had to surrender to progress. These two were students of this program. After the first job
    using this program they were on their way. Long story.
    The only downfall this program had was, being on the cutting edge. No longer available in this version, 7.0.
    Wait a minute though. It's still out there and can be found, I'm sure.
    I can do things .......... mm,mm. Look for it. Picture it 7.0

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

After pasteing your rev photo on canvas, hit control T to size it to match obv or fill canvas.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2024 4:09PM

Not sure how I did this as I tried everyone's suggestions. Now, if I can remember the steps.

Thank you all for the help!!!

FlyingAl image below and far better than my composite where I somehow screwed-up the color. So, I deleted it.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you got it!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Big thanks to FlyingAI for the images. He did a great job!!!!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember this ,
    "With great Knowledge, comes even greater responsibilities".
    I learned that here.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    I asked ChatGPT for you.

Never trust AI.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    This program was created as the precurser to photoshop. (1980 or 90's).
    It's very simple to navigate. Once you learn the basic terms, cut, copy, paste, format with dpi, and save as, your on your way.
    The only downfall this program had was, being on the cutting edge. No longer available in this version, 7.0.
    Wait a minute though. It's still out there and can be found, I'm sure.
    I can do things .......... mm,mm. Look for it. Picture it 7.0

I still use it and it can do nearly anything you need it to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file