Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Issue with PCGS slabs fracturing?

Hi all,
Recently i have noticed an increase in the PCGS slabs fracturing across the face of the coin or below near the bottom of the coin. This was never an issue and would only happen occasionally to PCGS coins, but now it seems every time I ship a coin or a few I get someone saying there are cracks on the slab and I have to get it back and reholder it. I thought maybe it was my packaging so i fixed that but it seems to be coming from inside the slab. Any thoughts or ideas of what's going on?

Comments

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭

Do you mail in a box or bubble/padded envelope? I have seen coins sent in bubble envelope get caught in the machine and get damaged.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to look into the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) and make sure (and pay the surcharge) to be non-machineable. The clerks at the PO have a tool to check this too.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Was at the LCS a couple months ago and someone had pocket change they read about online. Some modern quarter that sold for $12,000. This guy insisted the coin was a rare variety and was trying to get the LCS to buy it at said price. They knew it was worth 0.25. The coin shop lady said if it was certified by a grading company then they would believe him. The guy countered back, oh it was, he pointed at a pcgs holder and said one like that, he continued to explain that the holder broke open when it was crushed between 2 phone books (when's the last time you saw a phone book?). I looked at the shop owner (not who the guy was working with), he looked me and we both shared a funny smile. Ultimately they told him, OK send it in, get it certified, then bring it back and we will talk.

Anyways aside from this phone book crushing incident, the only Holders I've had break are the ones I hit on the corners with a hammer, to crack out the coins.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has had some bad batches of plastic material in the past which caused cracking in the slabs because of certain coins. They will reholder your coins at no charge, but you need to take pictures of the damaged/cracked areas. Call customer service to start the process, unless you’re going to a show they attend and you can submit in person. Best to place the call to customer service first so they have a heads up and can document the issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file