Home Sports Talk
Options

The Rocket came out of retirement at the age of 61 this weekend

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

and recorded one out for the Savannah Bananas.

I do not think Yellow is his color!!

good to see the old man spin it one more time.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet he probably can still throw some heat!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

He gave up three hits, including a home run, and retired one batter against the rival Party Animals.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    I bet he probably can still throw some heat!

I am sure he can still throw harder than I can!!!

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if he still does it, but for the longest time Clemens would pitch a spring game against the University of Texas team to help get them ready for the season.

The Bananas also need to be on national TV. Some of the stuff is cheesy but its just a fun lighthearted experience that people really enjoy

• Options

you are right about the UT games. not sure if he is doing it this year or not. If I remember correctly, he was still getting it into the upper 80's just a year or so ago. I remember hearing that Nolan Ryan was also able to bring it well into his senior years. I guess some guys are just born with an arm! I wonder how fast Randy Johnson could bring it right now with a few weeks of prep?

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    you are right about the UT games. not sure if he is doing it this year or not. If I remember correctly, he was still getting it into the upper 80's just a year or so ago. I remember hearing that Nolan Ryan was also able to bring it well into his senior years. I guess some guys are just born with an arm! I wonder how fast Randy Johnson could bring it right now with a few weeks of prep?

Its funny you mention Johnson. I doubt he can throw much at all right now and not entirely because of age. He was never a guy where baseball was his passion he was just very good at it and very competitive. Pretty much as soon as he retired instead of taking baseball jobs he became a photographer which is his true favorite thing to do. About 15 I was actually supposed to play against him in an offseason tournament. No one knows exactly why but a few days before his name wasnt on the roster anymore. Rumor was he threw a bullpen that just didnt go well. I wouldnt be surprised if he hasnt picked up a baseball much in retirement where guys like Clemens were still throwing regulatory to their sons. Cody got a lot of BP from Clemens