Home Sports Talk
Options

Mike Tyson returns to the ring

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark it down, 57 year old Mike Tyson vs 27 year old Jake Paul. If you subscribe to Netflix, you should be able to watch this sh..show.

Comments

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tyson loves his tennis. Big Novak Djokovic fan.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not fixed it should be an interesting first round.

If Tyson lands a direct punch or two then Paul will be dropped, if he can dodge and weave the punches for a couple rounds then Paul will have a chance due to the age difference and being able to keep his wind better

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is crazy. I heard he will be 58 by the time they fight. Is it a sanctioned fight that will appear on Mikes record?

I always loved watching Iron Mike fight. It always seemed like an event.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

According to ESPN, there's still a question about how the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation will sanction the event given the amount of attention it will receive. Also still to be answered is whether the match will be classified as a professional fight or an exhibition. I don't know what's really going on here, if this is just a money grab clown show fight or if they are going to be seriously going at it and trying to hurt eachother. If they are going to be serious about it, then I hope Tyson knocks Paul out, Paul is a big mouth, arrogant, cocky punk, and he's a bully. Knowing Jake Paul, this fight is probably just a money grab circus fight with a no knockout clause or something, look at all the fighters he's faced so far, with the exception of Tommy Fury, he's selected a bunch of over the hill MMA fighters and tomato cans. Let's look at his last opponent, a washed up ex part time boxer who currently works as an Uber driver.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about Tyson's opponent or the specifications of the fight, how many rounds, etc.

But if I was the trainer of Tyson's opponent, I would advise him to use Ali's rope-a-dope avoidance type techniques for a number of rounds, let Tyson wear himself out, and then you could knock him down with a feather.

• Options

I would think that if it gets beyond 2 or 3 rounds, Mikes endurance/speed will falter leaving him open for a knockout blow. I am not a boxing expert, but there is probably a reason 58 year old men don't regularly get in the ring.

I sure would like to see what 25 year old Mike could do against Paul though...

• Options

Jake Paul was in a Disney movie as a kid, then when he got older he turned into a YouTube star. A short while later he made his way into boxing by knocking out an ex-NBA player, Nate Robinson, in a fight on the undercard of Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr a few years ago. Since then, he has been selectively picking opponents, pushovers, and knocking them out. When he fought Tommy Fury, the younger brother of current heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, a young decent fighter who can actually box, he lost a split decision. Now, Jake Paul can actually fight pretty good, and he has knockout power, so if Mike Tyson gets in the ring and doesn't take it serious, he could end up getting caught by a big punch and knocked out. My problem with Jake Paul is this, he's very cocky and disrespectful to his opponents, he bullies them, picks guys he knows that have no chance against him and embarrasses them by usually knocking them out. This isn't the young 20 year old Mike Tyson we're talking about here, if Jake Paul stepped into the ring with Kid Dynamite of the 80s, Paul wouldn't last two rounds. This is a 57 year old Mike Tyson, still dangerous and can hit, but not the Iron Mike that destroyed the great Michael Spinks. This is probably just a money grab, both Paul and Tyson know this is going to attract huge money, it's probably going to be an exhibition clown show where both guys are taking it easy on eachother, we'll see.

• Options

Jake Paul is already bragging that he's going to beat the greatest heavyweight of all-time, like he's going up against prime Tyson, Paul wouldn't last two rounds with this.

• Options

As athletes know when they get older, the legs are the first thing to go. The arms are the last thing, barring an injury.

That being said, in boxing of course you need your legs to set-up position for your punch. Otherwise it is an exercise in futility. Mike's punch should still be there even at his age, that is if he can land it?

• Options

@stevek said:
    As athletes know when they get older, the legs are the first thing to go. The arms are the last thing, barring an injury.

That being said, in boxing of course you need your legs to set-up position for your punch. Otherwise it is an exercise in futility. Mike's punch should still be there even at his age, that is if he can land it?

Well, I don't know Steve, I just found out that Mike Tyson has been using a walking stick to get around, and was spotted in a wheelchair a while back, Jake Paul has no shame.

• Options

Really hard to figure out what Mike is thinking at this point in his life? As far as the fight, since the fight may not be sanctioned as far as drug use, maybe Mike figures that he can pump himself full of pain killing drugs, to enable him to stand up for a few rounds.

But frankly even worse than that, does Mike really wish to wind-up like Ali, with Parkinson's syndrome or whatever Ali had, and Ali couldn't talk, barely stand, etc? Because the next punch to Mike's head, could very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back and causes that CTE or whatever it's called to occur.

Perhaps Mike may figure he ain't got much time left in life, and wants to go out swinging like a gladiator, die on his sword, a death wish of sorts?

It can't be about the money. The name of Mike Tyson still is highly marketable and I'm sure he could easily make millions off just a few simple advertising spots. At an autograph show alone, he could rake in over 100k with no problem.

But whatever the reason, he's got the urge to do it, and it seems he cannot control that urge, regardless of the negative consequences which are likely.

• Options

I'm a big Tyson fan, and have a strong dislike for the Paul brothers. So I really hope Tyson can show everyone his great boxing skills one last time.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Really hard to figure out what Mike is thinking at this point in his life? As far as the fight, since the fight may not be sanctioned as far as drug use, maybe Mike figures that he can pump himself full of pain killing drugs, to enable him to stand up for a few rounds.

But frankly even worse than that, does Mike really wish to wind-up like Ali, with Parkinson's syndrome or whatever Ali had, and Ali couldn't talk, barely stand, etc? Because the next punch to Mike's head, could very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back and causes that CTE or whatever it's called to occur.

Perhaps Mike may figure he ain't got much time left in life, and wants to go out swinging like a gladiator, die on his sword, a death wish of sorts?

It can't be about the money. The name of Mike Tyson still is highly marketable and I'm sure he could easily make millions off just a few simple advertising spots. At an autograph show alone, he could rake in over 100k with no problem.

But whatever the reason, he's got the urge to do it, and it seems he cannot control that urge, regardless of the negative consequences which are likely.

Mike surely doesn't need the money, he has a deal with Leaf trading cards because they keep producing Mike Tyson cards, he's included in the 2023 and 2024 Leaf sets. I know he said something a while back about not being alive much longer, maybe he is thinking he doesn't have much time left and wants to go out with a bang. Whatever the reason, this fight has caused a lot of controversy already, with some fans accusing Jake Paul of elderly abuse.

• Options

One other thing of interesting note, this fight is being held at, you guessed it, Dallas Cowboys stadium.

• Options

Jerry has no shame!

• Options

Rumor is at the stadium on fight day, Jerry will also present a series of women's mud wrestling events. The winner gets to keep all the coins thrown into the ring.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2024 6:29PM

@craig44 said:
    I would think that if it gets beyond 2 or 3 rounds, Mikes endurance/speed will falter leaving him open for a knockout blow. I am not a boxing expert, but there is probably a reason 58 year old men don't regularly get in the ring.

I sure would like to see what 25 year old Mike could do against Paul though...

25 year old Tyson would destroy Paul in 30 seconds. Paul has been legitimately training but that just started the last couple years with the craze and the amount of money social media people having a boxing fight makes. His brother Logan is the one that fought Floyd but Floyd isnt a striker and basically knew not to end it to quickly.

Tyson will try and destroy Jake, but Tyson is old and his chin is gone. Jake likely wins the fight unless Tyson gets him right off the bat. Jake is somewhat legitimate. Either way theyre both going to make a ton of money off it

Edited because mixed up Jake and Logan half way through

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2024 6:32PM

That is what happens when you have a warrior spirit you spirit remains young but not your body. I hope he drops Jake or make sit to the end of the last round.

But at his age he very well get knocked out and I mean at least he will be set money wise once again in life and enjoy his old age without any worries (money).

To me he can hit and take hits I just think his legs and knees are old. Best to step away without injuries or minimal injuries at best.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Logan Paul isn't fighting Tyson, Jake Paul is fighting Tyson. Logan fought Floyd Mayweather and then Logan went to WWE and signed on as a wrestler.

• Options

You see, Logan Paul is currently a wrestler with WWE, he won the WWE United States Championship and is so proud of it that he refuses to take the belt off. He sleeps with it on, heck, he even showers with it on!

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 6:28PM

@doubledragon said:
    Logan Paul isn't fighting Tyson, Jake Paul is fighting Tyson. Logan fought Floyd Mayweather and then Logan went to WWE and signed on as a wrestler.

I know its Jake I switched their names up for some reason half way through. Theyre basically the same to me anyways lol. Ill go back and edit it to correct it

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@doubledragon said:

I know its Jack I switched their names up for some reason half way through. Theyre basically the same to me anyways lol. Ill go back and edit it to correct it

No big deal, it can be confusing, they are basically the same. 👍

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Basebal21 said:

@doubledragon said:

I know its Jack I switched their names up for some reason half way through. Theyre basically the same to me anyways lol. Ill go back and edit it to correct it

No big deal, it can be confusing, they are basically the same. 👍

For sure. Other than the tattoos they look very similar too

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of outcome will probably be a rematch. If more $ is to be made.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Regardless of outcome will probably be a rematch. If more $ is to be made.

If its a Rocky Balboa situation in the last movie maybe, Tyson quit in his last fight half way through not coming out for the 7th round and that was 2005. Its hard to see how another one would be sanctioned which they are struggling with already if Tyson doesnt either win or lose a split decision

• Options

has anyone ever seen logan and jake paul in a room together? I think it is a conspiracy... there is only one Paul.

• Options

Well, I found out that those photos of Mike Tyson using a walking stick were from 2022, he looks serious about this fight, Jake Paul might have bitten off more than he can chew.

https://youtu.be/aUIIX9HpfNM?si=tMGpwtFrwhoGNI86

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 2:24PM

It looks like Jake Paul has indeed bitten off more than he can chew.

• Options

Paul is a heavy favorite to beat Tyson, from the odds that I saw.

Tough to see Paul losing this fight. Remember, Tyson once basically quit when he bit Holyfield's ear. Mike knew he would get disqualified for doing that. I'm not predicting that will happen again, but Mike could quit in any number of ways if Paul is manhandling him. Such as just not answering the bell for a new round.

The old saying is fatigue makes cowards of us all. At his age and muscular body build, Mike may get fatigued rather quickly. We shall see.