Home Sports Talk
Options

Why are the Chiefs so hated?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ran across this today, I personally don't understand the hatred towards the Chiefs, but they have overtaken the Cowboys as the most hated team in the NFL.

Chiefs Dethrone Cowboys As Most-Hated NFL Team, Data Shows

According to social media data, it is the Kansas City Chiefs who are the league's most-despised team, not the Dallas Cowboys.

The Dallas Cowboys have been the NFL's most-popular team for many years, but at the same time, they've also become arguably the league's most-hated team.

It's not too hard to see why many have grown to despise the Cowboys. Their fanbase is without a doubt the largest in the league, as they earned the nickname of "America's Team" for a reason, and those fans can be very loud at times. As such, they get the most media coverage as well, and overexposure leads to contempt.

However, there's a new challenger to the Cowboys' title of the most-hated NFL team. According to data from Bet Online, the Kansas City Chiefs have drawn the ire of the most NFL fans recently, not the Cowboys.

Bet Online looked at over 120,000 posts on X to determine which team received the most negative comments, and found that the Chiefs came out on top with well over 10,000 such comments. In comparison, the Cowboys received roughly 9,000 negative comments, putting them solidly in second place.

Keep in mind that this data is also from before the Super Bowl, so the gap is probably even larger now.

It wasn't that long ago when the Chiefs were seen as the new blood of the NFL after years of dominance by the New England Patriots, but as Harvey Dent said in The Dark Knight, "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Perhaps the Cowboys could reclaim the "coveted" title with a Super Bowl victory of their own, but for now, the Chiefs are the new evil empire of the NFL.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will never be as hated as the Patriots in their heyday

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 3:24PM

i don't harbor an ounce of animosity toward the Chiefs

Mahomes engineered a Super Bowl run with a crap receiving corps. and Andy Reid is a brilliant head coach. nothing but mad respect for that team.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

Combination of being the top team on a dynasty run, Mahomes's brother, Brittney Mahomes before Taylor Swift when she was Jacksons sidekick, and the Taylor Switch coverage.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people simply do not like it when others are successful.

Thus those who succeed and achieve are disliked by a large portion of the general public (who have neither the desire or ability to put in the effort to succeed themselves). Success breeds jealousy and contempt.

Sad but true.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the Cowboys are in the same division as my Eagles, I can't see myself ever hating a team more than the Cowboys. Particularly because of their owner.

That being said, in today's NFL, the Chiefs without question, are overall the most hated team. The Chief's players and coaches have developed a horribly pompous attitude towards winning. I don't recall that with other NFL winning teams including the Patriots. The Patriots, Packers, 49ers, Steelers, Cowboys under Tom Landry, and others, won with class during their winning reigns. I don't see that with the Chiefs.

The Cowboys in their heyday under Jerry Jones were pompous as well. However the non-stop coverage of the Chief's tight end and that talentless singer is way over the top. Yes some if not a lot of that is because of media attention. But those two immature exhibitionists do everything they can to exacerbate the situation. I'm surprised they don't yet have a live cam in their bathroom. If somebody offers them enough money, they will.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Some people simply do not like it when others are successful.

Thus those who succeed and achieve are disliked by a large portion of the general public (who have neither the desire or ability to put in the effort to succeed themselves). Success breeds jealousy and contempt.

Sad but true.

Absolutely false for the most part as far as NFL fans.

For example, I didn't begrudge one bit when the Giants or Redskins won Super Bowls. Who of course are in the same division as my Eagles. Or any other teams as previously mentioned. In fact, I applauded them. I think most good NFL fans do the same.

The Chiefs are a different story. Besides what was already mentioned, the Chiefs were founded by one of the worst money grubbing, commodities market manipulators in US history. That certainly doesn't endear anyone to be a Chief's fan, especially because a Lamar Hunt offspring still owns the team.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

stevek

You may be correct with respect to NFL fans.

My statement was directed at society in general. Many people are as I described; and many are not.

I for one, applaud achievement, success and the hard work/effort required for same (except in NFL football when it comes to the Raiders [as the Raiders beating down my favorite Denver Broncos repeatedly from 1960s to the mid 1970s is the source of much childhood trauma for me :) ] who I can never cheer for).

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Or the Steelers in the 70's and early 80's.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Theres a difference between the psychos that get into fights or attack someone for wearing the wrong jersey to a game type things. The majority of fans are not happy when a rival wins or their team loses which is what the polls of "hated" teams are about.

College has rivalries where they just always dislike each other. For the NFL its mostly based off team success and being good at the same time. If KC gets bad and misses the playoffs for the next couple years theres not many fans that would list them as the most disliked at the top. Theres a direct link between their success and how many fans dislike them

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably because they,and I quote Al Davis here:(they) "just win baby".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

This man will always be public enemy number 1 for me.

• Options

Bad dog!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This man will always be public enemy number 1 for me.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    edited March 10, 2024 9:17AM

@coolstanley said:

@perkdog said:

Or the Steelers in the 70's and early 80's.

Yep, when one team dominates the league they get the hate

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hate that the Chiefs get after winning 3 SBs (an amazing feat on its own,) seeing Mahomes & Kelce in a bunch of commercials and the whole Taylor Swift love affair for Travis and KC fans will never be close to reaching the same level of hate that the Pats dealt with for so long.

NE dominated over a 20yr stretch where there was also Spygate,Aaron Hernandez & Deflategate all creating headlines on top of their winning SBs.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The hate that the Chiefs get after winning 3 SBs (an amazing feat on its own,) seeing Mahomes & Kelce in a bunch of commercials and the whole Taylor Swift love affair for Travis and KC fans will never be close to reaching the same level of hate that the Pats dealt with for so long.

NE dominated over a 20yr stretch where there was also Spygate,Aaron Hernandez & Deflategate all creating headlines on top of their winning SBs.

Perhaps in other football towns, some fans bought the Spygate and Deflategate nonsense which was all a bunch of BS from brain dead haters. Philly football fans, the vast majority of them, who I would stack up against any other knowledgeable football fans in the country, always had the utmost respect and admiration for the Patriots and their phenomenal success.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Perhaps in other football towns, some fans bought the Spygate and Deflategate nonsense which was all a bunch of BS from brain dead haters. Philly football fans, the vast majority of them, who I would stack up against any other knowledgeable football fans in the country, always had the utmost respect and admiration for the Patriots and their phenomenal success.

Arlen Specter is that you? 😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I wouldnt be so that the fan hate isnt growing a lot Andy Reid is a lot more likable than Bill, but his son getting released from prison make a lot of people angry and rightfully so. Who knows how much longer hes going to coach anyways. Theyre already 6 years in of dominating and have 3 SBs. Mahomes himself definitely helps and gets brownie points from a lot of people for allowing his brother around him, but that only goes so far.

Jackson Mahomes is very unlikable, Brittney was too until Taylor came along and Jackson was pushed to the side, Kelce being on commercials for everything including some things people have strong opinions about. Travis wont play forever but the constant commercials all week long are exhausting. At least the Saban and Deion ones are just on Saturday. Funny enough though those Saturday commercials did ruin a country song that was played every commercial break all day long for a couple weeks. Over saturation on commercials is a thing and the Chiefs are in the biggest danger of it happening which it kind of has already

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I met Arlen Specter a few times, had some interesting conversations with him, as a family member was a good personal friend of his. I have no idea what your insinuation was, and really couldn't care less. I was just telling it like it is from a Philly football fan perspective.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

I wouldnt be so that the fan hate isnt growing a lot Andy Reid is a lot more likable than Bill, but his son getting released from prison make a lot of people angry and rightfully so. Who knows how much longer hes going to coach anyways. Theyre already 6 years in of dominating and have 3 SBs. Mahomes himself definitely helps and gets brownie points from a lot of people for allowing his brother around him, but that only goes so far.

Jackson Mahomes is very unlikable, Brittney was too until Taylor came along and Jackson was pushed to the side, Kelce being on commercials for everything including some things people have strong opinions about. Travis wont play forever but the constant commercials all week long are exhausting. At least the Saban and Deion ones are just on Saturday. Funny enough though those Saturday commercials did ruin a country song that was played every commercial break all day long for a couple weeks. Over saturation on commercials is a thing and the Chiefs are in the biggest danger of it happening which it kind of has already

Travis and Taylor will break-up. It's inevitable, just a question of when. But Travis won't be lonely that long because Madonna is available. 😆

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

All valid points but where you point out that KC has dominated over 6 years winning 3 SBs, just add the length of time that Spygate,Hernandez & Deflategate amassed on their own separate from the 20 years of dominating and its not even close.
    Deflategate was the worst sports scandal in history and it was 100% a bullshit story lol.

I'll give you that KC is on its way to becoming that next drakside team that everyone hates but they still have a looooong way to go to reach NE's notoriety in that aspect.

• Options

Steve, I assumed your comment that I replied to was sarcasm and honestly Steelers & Eagles fans are two of the many fanbases that have given Pats fans the most flack over the years. Its always been a Philly-Boston thing.

My shot at Specter was because of his attempt to put his nose in something that he shouldn't have back when he was grandstanding in front of the cameras denouncing Bill Belichick,the New England Patriots and Spygate. Arlen could have been the greatest family man behind the scene but there were much bigger issues in his own state or the country that he could have added his voice to and make some real change but he chose Spygate.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Travis and Taylor will break-up. It's inevitable, just a question of when. But Travis won't be lonely that long because Madonna is available. 😆

Very likely like most celebrity couples, that would be a massive downgrade though and a hard no for me lol

• Options
    edited March 10, 2024 4:58PM

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I met Arlen Specter a few times, had some interesting conversations with him, as a family member was a good personal friend of his. I have no idea what your insinuation was, and really couldn't care less. I was just telling it like it is from a Philly football fan perspective.

I assumed your comment that I replied to was sarcasm and honestly Steelers & Eagles fans are two of the many fanbases that have given Pats fans the most flack over the years. Its always been a Philly-Boston thing.

My shot at Specter was because of his attempt to put his nose in something that he shouldn't have back when he was grandstanding in front of the cameras denouncing Bill Belichick,the New England Patriots and Spygate. Arlen could have been the greatest family man behind the scens but there were much bigger issues in his stats & country that he could have
    added his voice to and been a real help but he chose Spygate.

I had forgotten all about that. Specter in his later years did go a bit "funny in the head", switching parties and all that jazz, which made him sort of a turncoat to a lot of people. I fully agree with ya about Specter should have kept his nose out of that. Thanks for the clarification.

This wasn't the first time on this forum that I have called out Spygate and Deflategate as total BS. I have done that a number of times before, and stand by it. No sense regurgitating the details here.

Suffice to say that Philly fans have always admired good football, win or lose. Now when pompous personalities get in the way of that, in my view, such as a Jerry Jones or Travis Kelce, it should be called out for what it is.

As far as some Philly-Boston thing which you mentioned. Perhaps that is portrayed in the national media or something? Many sportswriters in general crave attention, IE to them negative attention is better than no attention. However as far as Philly fans, in totality some perceived Philly-Boston "thing" doesn't exist, at least not from the Philly fans I know, and I know and have known plenty.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I assumed your comment that I replied to was sarcasm and honestly Steelers & Eagles fans are two of the many fanbases that have given Pats fans the most flack over the years. Its always been a Philly-Boston thing.

My shot at Specter was because of his attempt to put his nose in something that he shouldn't have back when he was grandstanding in front of the cameras denouncing Bill Belichick,the New England Patriots and Spygate. Arlen could have been the greatest family man behind the scens but there were much bigger issues in his stats & country that he could have
    added his voice to and been a real help but he chose Spygate.

I had forgotten all about that. Specter in his later years did go a bit "funny in the head", switching parties and that jazz, which made him sort of a turncoat to a lot of people. I fully agree with ya about Specter should have kept his nose out of that. Thanks for the clarification.

This wasn't the first time on this forum that I have called out Spygate and Deflategate as total BS. I have done that a number of times before, and stand by it. No sense regurgitating the details here.

Luckily I wasn't around this forum until long after Spygate and Brady had just won his 5th ring right before i came around here.

Suffice to say that Philly fans have always admired good football, win or lose. Now when pompous personalities get in the way of that, in my view, such as a Jerry Jones or Travis Kelce, it should be called out for what it is.

As far as some Philly-Boston thing which you mentioned. Perhaps that is portrayed in the national media or something? Many sportswriters in general crave attention, IE to them negative attention is better than no attention. However as far as Philly fans, in totality some perceived Philly-Boston "thing" doesn't exist, at least not from the Philly fans I know, and I know and have known plenty.

That Philly-Boston remark wasn't meant as a dig, like NY-Boston and NY-Philly, it could get heated between fans at times on a normal day, throw in major headlines like Spygate & Deflategate and it ups the hate factor times 100. Especially Steelers fans who could never get over the Brady/Belichick Pats owning them in the playoffs lol.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arlen Specter, crafter of the single bullet theory in the JFK assassination.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

All valid points but where you point out that KC has dominated over 6 years winning 3 SBs, just add the length of time that Spygate,Hernandez & Deflategate amassed on their own separate from the 20 years of dominating and its not even close.
    Deflategate was the worst sports scandal in history and it was 100% a bullshit story lol.

I'll give you that KC is on its way to becoming that next drakside team that everyone hates but they still have a looooong way to go to reach NE's notoriety in that aspect.

Deflate was certainly just stupid. If balls have to be the same pressure than have one ball and dont let kickers use different ones. This isnt baseball where you have to use a 100 balls a game. Really it didn't matter that much Brady was suspended, he got it pushed back a year to when he could have sat out the whole year and the Pats still would have made the playoffs. It was likely a response to not doing enough of a punishment on the filming.

Hernandez certainly matters in terms of someones life, but I dont see how it would be a major issue with the fans dislike of the Pats over that. When Ray Rice was getting basically a free pass until the elevator video leaked people turned more on the league for their initial light suspension before their hand was forced. NFL and really pro sports players committing crimes is nothing new. Reids son seems like a much bigger story in that issue given what happened to Hernandez and Reids son is free

I just dont see Reid being there all that much longer and with the continuing to win and lack of a lovable Gronk type fans are going to dislike KC pretty quickly. Travis is very much on pace to just get super annoying with commercials for people that dont find him that way already

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Deflate was certainly just stupid. If balls have to be the same pressure than have one ball and dont let kickers use different ones. This isnt baseball where you have to use a 100 balls a game. Really it didn't matter that much Brady was suspended, he got it pushed back a year to when he could have sat out the whole year and the Pats still would have made the playoffs. It was likely a response to not doing enough of a punishment on the filming.

Hernandez certainly matters in terms of someones life, but I dont see how it would be a major issue with the fans dislike of the Pats over that. When Ray Rice was getting basically a free pass until the elevator video leaked people turned more on the league for their initial light suspension before their hand was forced. NFL and really pro sports players committing crimes is nothing new. Reids son seems like a much bigger story in that issue given what happened to Hernandez and Reids son is free

I just dont see Reid being there all that much longer and with the continuing to win and lack of a lovable Gronk type fans are going to dislike KC pretty quickly. Travis is very much on pace to just get super annoying with commercials for people that dont find him that way already

I didn't comment on Aaron Hernandez because obviously the Patriots had no control over that.

Whereby Andy Reid seems to encourage all the singing star idolization shenanigans. That's fine, whatever works for him. I guess with all the family trauma Andy has had in his life, he's now totally overjoyed with his success. More power to him, but it doesn't mean I should like it.

Well right now I've got a ton of Eagles problems to worry about. Their two long time stud offensive linemen have retired in the off season. And will Jalen Hurts and his banged up knee be okay moving forward? All that can't bode well for the upcoming season, especially after that horrible late season collapse.

There is certainly a possibility that I won't be having as much smack fun this upcoming NFL season. 🙁

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

I didn't comment on Aaron Hernandez because obviously the Patriots had no control over that.

Whereby Andy Reid seems to encourage all the singing star idolization shenanigans. That's fine, whatever works for him. I guess with all the family trauma Andy has had in his life, he's now totally overjoyed with his success. More power to him, but it doesn't mean I should like it.

Well right now I've got a ton of Eagles problems to worry about. Their two long time stud offensive linemen have retired in the off season. And will Jalen Hurts and his banged up knee be okay moving forward? All that can't bode well for the upcoming season, especially after that horrible late season collapse.

There is certainly a possibility that I won't be having as much smack fun this upcoming NFL season. 🙁

The Taylor stuff no one have control over that shes more popular from the league world wide so I doubt any team is really worried about it especially since its making them more money. For sure though rooting for a team to fail is absolutely a part of sports and theres nothing wrong with it

Eagles should be okay. They have replacements ready and will have an option if they feel they need one even where theyre drafting this year

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Unless you were commenting on any and all Pats related stuff at the time,you really have no clue how bad it got. Its ironic that you mention Ray Rice because Ravens fans were the absolute worst at that time. They'd tell us that Belichick knowingly drafted a serial killer and what a huge pos they both were yet they rooted for Ray Lewis & Ray Rice lol.

I totally agree that the Chiefs are heading to an annoying level of hate but,again, we're talking a difference of night & day here in regards what NE dealt with compared to KC. Everything would need to fall off the rails for the Chiefs multiple times to even get close. Even the Travis/Taylor cameos are pretty miuch on the level of Tom/Gisele and not much more than that.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the show, it is really simple. Chiefs win, and win, and win. We hates them my precious....................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Unless you were commenting on any and all Pats related stuff at the time,you really have no clue how bad it got. Its ironic that you mention Ray Rice because Ravens fans were the absolute worst at that time. They'd tell us that Belichick knowingly drafted a serial killer and what a huge pos they both were yet they rooted for Ray Lewis & Ray Rice lol.

I totally agree that the Chiefs are heading to an annoying level of hate but,again, we're talking a difference of night & day here in regards what NE dealt with compared to KC. Everything would need to fall off the rails for the Chiefs multiple times to even get close. Even the Travis/Taylor cameos are pretty miuch on the level of Tom/Gisele and not much more than that.

I certainly dont know what was said on the forum at the time and Ravens fans should not be mentioning anything like that with the team history. Every fan base has some bad actors and every team has people that commit crimes and probably should be in jail. I can understand that Bill was very unlikable during his time as a HC especially with how players were treated and with them winning that may have been the best response they had. I try and look at things in a everyone type view for conversations like these

Agree the Brady Gisele and Travis Taylor cancels itself out to an extent, Its more so the commercials all the time now with Travis and he will retire which is part of why I think the dislike will happen more. Maybe it does happen or maybe not but I could see the Brittney Jackson thing happening again when Travis is gone

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think KC fans should be proud that their team is good enough to get the hate. truly, it is a sign you have made it!

in the beginning, everyone loved the Pats too. remember the first SB, David vs. Goliath, 6th round nobody QB, Kraft saying we are all Patriots after 9-11 happened. they were the ultimate underdogs. it only took a few years for that to end.

people don't like it when one team wins too much. Next up, Mahomes will start getting the hate. just like Tommy did. all the winning, the commercials, the annoying wife/brother. it will happen. and the sad thing is, I don't remember of Mahomes saying outlandish or stupid things to the press. I think he says all the right things. but, soon he will become Darth Maul to everyone who is not a chiefs fan.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.