Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Allure of Egyptian Coins

"While being a coin dealer sounds not at all like being an archeologist, there are certainly more similarities than differences. And in a roundabout way, I am not all that far away from my childhood dream job. I am extraordinarily lucky to be involved in a field that does involve constant research, surrounded by history on a daily basis, without having to be outside digging and conducting field work in inhospitable environments all day!"

Read More: https://www.pcgs.com/news/the-allure-of-egyptian-coins

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Great article by Justin, thanks for posting this.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 10:32AM

"The reason this is so well known among numismatists is that his son, Farouk, built one of the most legendary coin collections of all time, until his overthrow in a coup in 1952."

Perhaps but Khufu assembled the largest coin collection of all time. The pyramid is composed of 6 1/2 million tons of nummulitic limestone containing billions of nummulites. These are small disc shaped fossils that Greek children may have lent the terms "heads" and "tails" to our coins. Essentially they threw nummulites and matched dorsal or ventral sides to win the game.

More ironically had Farouk not built his mansion over what could have been the most important infrastructure used to build the Great Pyramid archaeologists would not today still be in the dark today about how the pyramids were built.

Needless to say I have vastly different perspectives on ancient and modern Egypt. I believe it was the little guy who wanted to build the pyramid and did. By the same token my favorite Egyptian coins are the base metal coins of the 1950's used by the masses. The meek have owned the earth all along but forgot it not long after the pyramids were built.

There are numerous very important and historical Egyptian coins from all ages and of all metals.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 2:51PM

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

19th and 20th century Egyptian coinage may develop a greater following as it should be appreciated for what it is... and there will likely be a condition rarity factor that will further emerge.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

thought that an image would help

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 12:42PM

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/africa/egypt/egypt-abdul-hamid-ii-denomination-type-set-circulation-strikes-1876-1909/alltimeset/163946

Aaron, this is a fantastic, an incredible set! The 20 qirsh is one of the finest I've seen. You deserve your stars!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/africa/egypt/egypt-abdul-hamid-ii-denomination-type-set-circulation-strikes-1876-1909/alltimeset/163946

Aaron, this is a fantastic, an incredible set! The 20 qirsh is one of the finest I've seen. You deserve your stars!

Dimitri, thank you for your kind words