Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States Thalerpalooza!

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 8, 2024 9:37AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do we have a German States megathread?

I've spent the New Year's Eve with my brother (Thalermaniac @ NGC) in Pittsburgh and finally had a chance to go through his fantastic collection of German Thalers. He's collecting by Davenport number, which kind of reminded me of @bidask 's undertaking of collecting every Cap and Ray by date, mint mark and variety - feels like a lifelong pursuit.

I took a few videos of some highlights. A few of the 17th Century pieces just blew me away. That combination of crude designs, toning and luster is just a trifecta for me when it comes to appreciating a 300 year old coin and there were quite a few that made me consider adding another direction to my own personal collection :open_mouth:

Here's his Thaler set across the street
And one at PCGS as he doesn't really descriminate between services and has coins in both holder types.

Anyone has some Thalers to share?

Some of my favorites are below. The videos are a bit lengthy, but worth a few minutes in my mind.

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible! I've always been a fan of thalers.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect 17th century German states. Nothing as nice as your brother's. Maybe I will create a Flickr album and post a link.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really ambitious collection and it looks great.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    Cool stuff!

That Augsburg city view Taler used to be mine! I think I was an under bidder on that 1666 Brunswick Luneburg Wildman Taler!

Here's my Passau Taler.

And a 1.5 Taler. Does he have any >1 Talers?

My God those are gorgeous!!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some wowzer coins!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

This is the first time I've seen the set in its entirety. Outstanding quality and the writeups of each piece are thorough and well done. The 3T are outrageous. Is he still actively building it?

• Options

@bidask said:
    Some wowzer coins!

@worldcoinguy said:
    This is the first time I've seen the set in its entirety. Outstanding quality and the writeups of each piece are thorough and well done. The 3T are outrageous. Is he still actively building it?

Thanks guys. I'll pass on your comments.

Brent, he's been actively pursuing it for many years but I also know he sells pieces quite often. So not sure how serious he is about actually finishing anything :)

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that 3 Taler! Nice.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome. I have been tracking the set since inception. Great theme In my biased opinion!

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭✭

I love these! I can't imagine collecting by Davenport though, that seems a bit quixotic but will certainly keep one occupied for a lifetime!

I have a few of them, though most of my Thalers aren't German. I still consider the last two mine, unfortunately they were stolen a few years ago and the buying dealer had already sold them at a show by the time the police traced them to him.

• Options

@fluffy155 said:
    I love these! I can't imagine collecting by Davenport though, that seems a bit quixotic but will certainly keep one occupied for a lifetime!

I have a few of them, though most of my Thalers aren't German. I still consider the last two mine, unfortunately they were stolen a few years ago and the buying dealer had already sold them at a show by the time the police traced them to him.

Sorry to hear about the theft @fluffy155 Gorgeous coins!