Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most of us can dislike a coin, but still acknowledge that it’s accurately graded.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:

@MFeld said:
    Post such a coin, if you please.

Can I comment on your style, instead? You're not market grading, you're technical grading. Market grading takes into consideration eye appeal. The way the TPGs evaluate that isn't by their personal preferences but by their evaluation of the market. If they're any good, like is our gracious host, they've got their thumb on it, day-to-day. They know what their market goes for, and what it doesn't. From the PCGS lingo on market grading, it's "[a] numerical grade that matches the grade at which a particular coin generally is traded in the marketplace. The grading standard used by PCGS." That's not to say they're ignoring technical grading. In my experience, over the years, with them, when it's good toning, they'll bump the grade, and when it's not so good, they'll give it the technical without regard to the toning. That's just my experience. Reasonable minds may differ. No need for nobody to get snooty about nothing.

I’m well aware of the inclusion of the eye appeal factor in market grading. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a lot of overgraded coins out there.
    That aside, the point of my opening post was that a coin isn’t necessarily overgraded just because I or someone else doesn’t like it. That need not be a matter of market grading vs. technical grading.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@pointfivezero said:

@MFeld said:

@pointfivezero said:
    No comment necessary but I'll leave one anyway. I can't even see the bell lines:

Tim

Have you seen the coin in hand? The FBL on a half or FB on a dime aren’t always apparent in images.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am the proud owner of this coin.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. In that case, it’s not a coin that you think is accurately graded, but which you don’’t like.😉

Hi Mark. That is a fair statement. My goal is to eventually get enough stickers on the holder to completely cover the coin.

Tim

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@MFeld said:

@pointfivezero said:

@MFeld said:

@pointfivezero said:
    No comment necessary but I'll leave one anyway. I can't even see the bell lines:

Tim

Have you seen the coin in hand? The FBL on a half or FB on a dime aren’t always apparent in images.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am the proud owner of this coin.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. In that case, it’s not a coin that you think is accurately graded, but which you don’’t like.😉

Hi Mark. That is a fair statement. My goal is to eventually get enough stickers on the holder to completely cover the coin.

Tim

😀 That shouldn’t be much of a challenge, Tim.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 8:52AM

@MFeld said:

@Pizzaman said:

@MFeld said:
    Post such a coin, if you please.

Can I comment on your style, instead? You're not market grading, you're technical grading. Market grading takes into consideration eye appeal. The way the TPGs evaluate that isn't by their personal preferences but by their evaluation of the market. If they're any good, like is our gracious host, they've got their thumb on it, day-to-day. They know what their market goes for, and what it doesn't. From the PCGS lingo on market grading, it's "[a] numerical grade that matches the grade at which a particular coin generally is traded in the marketplace. The grading standard used by PCGS." That's not to say they're ignoring technical grading. In my experience, over the years, with them, when it's good toning, they'll bump the grade, and when it's not so good, they'll give it the technical without regard to the toning. That's just my experience. Reasonable minds may differ. No need for nobody to get snooty about nothing.

I’m well aware of the inclusion of the eye appeal factor in market grading. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a lot of overgraded coins out there.
    That aside, the point of my opening post was that a coin isn’t necessarily overgraded just because I or someone else doesn’t like it. That need not be a matter of market grading vs. technical grading.

Well obviously any professional is supposed to put aside his or her personal bias, so I'd suppose we're in agreement on that, that is to say, if that's your point. Presumably these professional grades are based on the TPGs grading standards, not personal bias.

• Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@Pizzaman said:

From the PCGS lingo on market grading, it's "[a] numerical grade that matches the grade at which a particular coin generally is traded in the marketplace. The grading standard used by PCGS."

Sounds to me like the tail thinks it's wagging the dog.

Yes, I hear what you're saying.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2024 4:39PM

@MrEureka said:

@Pizzaman said:

From the PCGS lingo on market grading, it's "[a] numerical grade that matches the grade at which a particular coin generally is traded in the marketplace. The grading standard used by PCGS."

Speaking only for myself, I'm very happy with the concept of "market grading." I wish they would do more of it, instead of deciding for the market what is "market acceptable." In particular, I am not a fan of what I perceive to be an "orthodoxy" about CACG where they consign to the oblivion of "details" a lot of very nice coins.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:

@MrEureka said:

@Pizzaman said:

Yes, I hear what you're saying.

Actually, I misread the definition, so never mind what I said. :D Seriously.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2024 10:08PM

Well for a real dog - they would not care nor argue about grade on holder but to make fun of the seller offer what / melt on bourse or $2 like this one guy did one time. Confidential with the seller right? Then like a good dip a good grade is on tap.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file