Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this 1883 Shield Nickel real?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's not big money either way but the die work looks a bit sloppy. Was that just the nature of shield nickels, or could this potentially be a contemporary counterfeit? The date looks a bit uneven that that circle above the date is cut off to make room for the date. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 6:19PM

It looks genuine to me.
    They did a lot of "die work", because the dies kept cracking, striking the copper nickel alloy that was harder than
    the usual copper and silver.
    So there are a fair number of RPDs, etc., because they were making so many dies.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are so many double dies and re-punched mintmarks, that many look a little wonky

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome, thank you!

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it looks real.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks a lot like my 1883, so I would say real.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine.
    As to the small indent into the knob above the date, whenever the design of the coin called for a date punch to be hammered into the die near the design (a method phased out in 1907-1908), the metal displaced by the punch entering the die might have extruded into that design and crushed part of it closed a bit. This is quite often seen on the smaller Seated Liberty denominations where the date causes little indents into the base of Miss Liberty. Look above the date digits on these dies:

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Kewl! Thanks to @CaptHenway, I learned something today.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    I know it's not big money either way but the die work looks a bit sloppy. Was that just the nature of shield nickels, or could this potentially be a contemporary counterfeit? The date looks a bit uneven that that circle above the date is cut off to make room for the date. Thanks for any input!

This is probably not really useful, but if your shield nickel has the same diameter as a modern nickel, then it is probably fake. Shield nickels were smaller in diameter, but the same weight as later issues.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file