Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

discovery coin. need help

JOKERMLSJOKERMLS Posts: 5
edited March 7, 2024 4:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

im trying to get the correct advice of what to do. all advice is appreciated for sure. i read that if its not in the PCGS variety attribution list, it wont be considered. where do i go then. the coin gods dont email back, and im yet to know how to access this list of varieties. so its a 1890 indian head penny, i would say about a VF25-30. reverse side T from CENT has a rat-tail looking little variety thing growing out of the bottom of the T towards the N. it looks so cool. ill share images to anyone who wants to check it out. thanks.

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that what you’ve discovered is a 134 year old Indian head cent in well worn condition that had had metal moved or distorted from various hits over those many years.

Could you please post a photo.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a scratch. It could be a die crack. It could be a die chip. None of those would be particularly unusual. Most are not cataloged as varieties.

Pictures would help

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭

I think that if it was a new variety, it would certainly have been discovered by now
    since there would be many more the same out there.
    Without a clear photo, of both sides though, nobody can be 100% what it is.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2024 10:39PM

That is called a screamin’ JOKER mistake.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the secrecy? If you want help simply post quality images and be done with it. If you won't do that, then you really aren't here for the help, are you?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not again.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting a pic would be helpful.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file