Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1979 Onza Types - How to tell?

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 6, 2024 2:28PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi...I was wondering if anyone could provide a link or photos of the types of Onzas that were produced in 1979. I did a search but other than a note in Numista stating that '79 had a Type 3 and 4 with the differentiator being where the left hand scale was pointing I could not come up with any photos of each, well I did but they did not help.

This is what is in Numista:

Here is an example of a '79 graded by our hosts currently on eBay that is labeled as a Type 4, KM 49.b.4...but is this misattributed? Sorry for the upside down shot...couldn't get it to rotate.

Here is another 79 with the same M49.b.4 KM number that is on the slab of the above...this one looks correct based on the Numista description:

Here is a Type 3 in a PCGS slab with it noted on the label:

Any clarification would be appreciated, Thanks!

K

ANA LM

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know absolutely 0 about the modern Onza varieties, but based on the photos you posted, #1 and #3 seems to be the same variety (left scale pointing to U in UNA, center weight pointing to E in PESO) and #2 seems to be a different one (left scale pointing to N in UNA, center weight pointing to S in PESO)

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2024 6:00AM

Also know zero too - own only one a 1949 but that's all.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not at my laptop, but here’s a snapshot from the Krause on my phone that should answer your question.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @pruebas , that is what I needed...some day I will pony up for a Krause! :)

K

ANA LM